on 1 June 2017
Love this music
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 June 2014
This is an excellent 2 disc compilation by 'Fantastic Voyage' records (72.05mins & 70.32mins), the 60 tracks span the years 1959 to 62. There are teen ballads, group harmonies and some mid-tempo movers. Some tracks have stood the test of time and remain classics mainly by the big names, others still sound good but there are a few that are very twee indeed - a real mixed bag, but a really enjoyable listen overall. There is lots to discover here, it's a really good compilation to start off a collection of 'Teen Idol' sounds. I have most of the tracks but it's great to have them on one compilation - a couple of new favourites for me are 'Just a piece of paper' by Bobby Comstock and 'That someone should be me' by Johnny Rivers both are very good. The cd comes with an excellent 20 page colour booklet which has many great pics and informative liner notes. The sound quality is very good overall, except the sound level is a little low - turn it up when you play. If you like the type of teen pop then this a great compilation, much of it is very good. Recommended 8.5/10. (4.5 stars).
on 10 March 2016
I like it.
on 22 March 2014
Sub-titled "60 Peachy-Keen Pop Gems From The Pre-Beat Era", this a double set, in similar vein to Fantastic Voyage's co-release, "The Hits Of 1959" (see elsewhere). Here it spans 1959/62, sparse years for true rock'n'rollers and over here, we were not privy to the delights of letter sweaters and malt shops, tho we seemed to welcome the lachrymose, sugar-sweet, string-laden wailings of American popsters - many a US chart hit here repeated its success (more or less) in the UK. To be fair, there are many that caught my ear in period, mainly via radio, but as a true-blue pop 'snob', I passed on buying them - Slim Harpo over Bobby Vee every time!

As a package, the usual Fantastic Voyage values apply. Great cover shot, pics, colour label shots, US label (only) release details, chunky bookletful of notes by compiler Lucky Parker and confreres. He knows his onions, again I learnt more than I needed. Fifty-plus years after the events, the whole things screams 'American Teen!', my only solace being that, soon after, we inflicted the British Invasion on the US by way of revenge. Poptastic?
on 24 February 2016