• Demon

Customer reviews

Demon
Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 20 March 2014
There are few bands in any genre deserving of the adjective 'unique,' but I think Gazpacho is one. I started with March of Ghosts and was initially unmoved. The vast majority of their output is very slow tempo and dreamy, and owes much more to classical influences than say rock or jazz. In my experience though, it takes only a couple of listens before the insidious melodies and soulful vocals begin to exert their addictive powers. I m gradually assembing the back catalogue and have not been disappointed yet, and on the evidence of one full spin...Demon is at least as good as the rest, and may have established a new pinnacle. There is an awful lot going on in spite of the gentle pace, and yet everything seems to belong. There have been few sudden whims at play here I suspect. This is an exquisitely crafted album and a stand-out contribution to the growing arsenal of new quality prog'. It's not for those who like regular bursts of raw power however. You'll want pipe and slippers for this stuff. If it does prove to be your cup of tea, I should warn you you may - like me - find it very difficult to put Gazpacho aside to listen to other things in the months ahead.
on 21 September 2014
I have loved this band since their album 'Night' in 2007, in my opinion one of the best concept albums every made. Since then I have loved every thing they have produced. They are a symphonic prog band that produce lush melodies, and their last album 'March of Ghosts' perhaps saw them at their most commercial.
This therefore came as quite a shock, as I would rate this as the heaviest symphonic rock albums I have ever heard. Never harsh on the ears, still maintaining that lush symphonic feel, but almost gone are the sing along lyrics of their last album. Instead we have what is effectively just three tracks (although one of the is split into parts one and two.)
It is another concept album although this is mainly in the lyrics with only the slightest of repeated themes.
One track is short at around 5 minutes and is obviously the more commercial, Otherwise the album is dominated by 'I've Been Walking' parts one and two, and 'Death Room'
This is a stunning album throughout but the highlight for me is 'I've Been Walking part 2'. It starts with a beautiful refrain about a sycamore tree, and slowly moves through various phases building to a very satisfying conclusion.
The depth of creativity in this album is breath taking and even the 20 minute 'Death Room' despite not having any sing along sections never out stays it's length and so full of inventiveness you will just not know what to expect, and it is every bit as ominous as it's title suggests.
This is an album to listen to in one go, there is no point trying to dip into it, or play it as back ground in company, it just would not work. Sit alone with a nice glass of something to drink, preferably in room with subdued lighting relax and take it all in. Each listen will produce something different.
on 25 March 2014
I have followed with interest Gazpacho's releases since Tick Tock and have been constantly surprised by the quality of their music. Demon is an intricate interesting release. Not immediately accessible, but with constant plays it starts to reveal different levels. There is some beutiful musical interludes on this album. Dont expect raucus guitar solos's or wailing keyboards. However the musicians in Gazpacho often say more with a piano motif than some groups say with 10 minutes of instrument excesses. This album will grace the CD player for a long time to come and unfortunately will probably eclipse other recently purchased albums.
on 23 April 2014
Not sure Gazpacho have ever reached the heights of Night and especially Tick Tock. I have enjoyed the albums since but they have left me wanting. When I first listened to Demon I hated it. I have since listened to it non stop for about 5 or 6 times - and I now love it. Each note, sound and silence seems thought through very carefully. Persevere- it is a superb album.

Further Note: - a few weeks on and it still in the CD player - it just gets better and better with each listen!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
why these guys aren't MASSIVE!......ok, I do....this is not the sort of stuff that gets you air play or high in the charts but, honestly, if you like this kind of thing, I don't believe there is anyone around who does it better.

When I say "this kind of thing", I'm not sure what I really mean, but if you like modern 'prog' (think Anathema et al) or if you just love haunting, beautiful, thoughtful music then you should really give it a go. This is maybe not the easiest starting point into Gazpacho's music - 'March of Ghosts' is definitely 'easier' - but I am starting to think that this album surpasses even that work of melancholic genius.

I saw Gazpacho recently at the Leamington Assembly, on tour in support of this album with, if not 'one man and his dog', then certainly only a few men (and women) who'd left their canine companions at home for the evening with a bowl of Chum, and the band were incredible!!

Please make the world a more just place by treating yourself to this album and then spreading the word......
on 20 April 2014
Gazpacho have displayed their ability to produce music which is different to their last album but retains their distinctive approach. The instrumentation used and music on offer will keep the buyer interested and their will always be elements of the tracks which have hidden depths and will demand repetitive listens .Another accomplished offering from the Norwegian prog masters
on 18 May 2017
Exciting musical journey inside the darkness. One of the best of their albums, no doubt. I have not enough words to describe how much I love this!
on 25 January 2016
After buying Tick Tock and March of Ghosts I thought to myself I would give this a whirl.Glad I did it's excellent.Starting to really get into this group.Took a while but I got their eventually.
on 26 May 2014
I only discovered this band a few month ago. They are very, very good.Is this prog rock? I think that term is meaningless. It's just great music. The addition of The Cage gives this album a 'big ending' but the rest of it is pretty much sublime. Takes a few listens to sink in though.
on 2 June 2014
For those who decides to sit down and listen to music. It is a most rewarding experience! We have good lyrics delivered by a wonderful voice and instrumental parts to get lost in.
Just buy it!