on 28 March 2014
It is difficult to divorce rating this book from rating Windows 8.1 since writing a guide to the worst version of Windows ever will inevitably lead to some mud sticking. If like me you have to upgrade your laptop now and you don't want to jump ship to Apple or Linux then Microsoft have the whole market sewn up and you will get Windows 8.1. This book makes a reasonable attempt to explain what is neither plain nor simple and has somewhat helped me get through what has been the most excruciating computing experience of my life. If you can wait until Microsoft see sense and revert to something better then do so.
on 17 May 2014
I chose this book because I had the earlier edition for Windows XP. However my knowledge and understanding of computers is limited and I only use it for my basic needs. So far I have found it of no help in resolving some of the issues I have come across.
on 9 February 2014
If you like reading all the help sections for apps on computers the do not buy this, If on the other hand you just want to get on with it, then this book is a godsend. I previously bought the same book for Windows XP when I upgraded and found it very handy as this is turning out to also
on 20 February 2014
I purchased this book to help me burn photos to a dvd but there was no where in the book to help me. I had to make a trip to a well know supermarket for help.
on 26 March 2015
The book has been written with a view to update the earlier book on Windows 8.0. At many places the book is misleading and the screens pictured do not occur in Windows 8.1. These screens were there in Windows 8.0 and the author forgot to update each and every item. It is hoped that the author will write a better book on Windows 10 and market considerations will not compel her to produce a half-baked item.
review image
on 26 October 2014
Found this to be a complicated as the new programme 8.1 on laptop. One of these that makes sense when you know what you are doing. Certainly not plain and simple
on 23 September 2014
I have had every version of this "Plain & Simple" book - XP, Vista, Windows 7 and now Windows 8.1. This shows as clearly as anything that I value them pretty highly. This latest book is as good as the others: clearly and simply written, with copious illustrations, all of which are in colour - so much better than monochrome. The index, so often a weakness in computer books, is pretty comprehensive, with cross-references where a topic may be known by different names: this is so useful when you may not even know the official name of the topic you are trying to look up. You will not find the answer to every technical conundrum that might occur, but you wouldn't really expect that in a book that is clearly aimed at newcomers. For novices, or for people who are upgrading from an earlier version of Windows and just need to acclimatise themselves, this book an excellent starting-point.
on 16 June 2014
Easy to read and a good back up for a new windows experience. It is expertly put together, and the sections make it a good reference guide, as I have found it when looking up for new or unfamiliar ways of working from my old system.
on 3 March 2014
Very good - explains a lot for a an old fogey to understand. Why did I not buy editions for the earlier OS's I don't know?
on 15 August 2014