Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 17 October 2016
Seems to me that many have chanced upon Mark Selby through the Amazon recommendations channel - me included - and, buying this box set, I am now a convert. Where do they hide such talented musicians?
For £6.50 of anyone's money to get a single good CD is something, but here you get 2 early Studio Albums, 1 Live Album and a DVD of the live Album...what a bargain. But moreover, this is a fine, fine bluesman with a fiery guitar and a not bad set of pipes either and while I was aware of a Mark Selby co-writing material with Kenny Wayne Shepherd, I hadn't realised that this was one and the same guy - no wonder he's so good!
Listen to just the opening track "Don't Throw That Mojo On Me" and you too will be hooked if you remotely like the blues or blues/rock...starting for a few bars with just an acoustic, when the band kicks in and kicks the song up the jacksie, it really hits it stride and grabs you by the throat and that will be permanent when you hear the solo - just sublime. Favourite tracks here?.....just too many to mention, but I think out of this trio of CD's, the Live one is my personal favourite!
Then of course, we have the DVD too and this shows just what a working bluesman is all about, sheer hard work and a true belief in his music!
If you, like me, had never heard of Mark Selby (musician), I cannot recommend him more highly to you and if you're quick you should be able to get yourself a slice of his music for the princely sum of £6.50 too.....it'll be the best £6.50 you ever spent!
Hats off to ZYX Records for promoting such a treat for such a bargain basement cost.- now I am backtracking Mr Selby's back catalogue
on 10 June 2014
Although I work regularly with the Blues music circuit, I hadn't ever come across Mark Selby until he was recommended to me by Amazon
This box-set is a really great value package, consisting of: one "Live" concert DVD with Mark performing a paired down 3-piece electric set; one studio album featuring most of the material in the concert, but with added musicians and backing vocalists; and two absolutely amazing acoustic studio albums featuring only himself on vocals, acoustic & slide guitar and (occasional) harmonica.

All of the material on all 4 discs consists of his own songwriting and a very tasty instrumental called:"Peanut Butter,Jelly & A Saucy Little Beaujolais." There are but only 3 cover versions of other standard material, and all done on acoustic guitar. These are excellent versions of Hendrix's "Little Wing" and Dylan's "Down In The Flood".. But the stand-out cover for me is his absolutely amazing acoustic version of the classic "A Whiter Shade Of Pale". I defy any accomplished solo musician to come up with a better rendition of this song than Mark Selby.

Altogether, you are offered 220 minutes of his original material. Many of his songs are given different treatments on different albums. All with blues and R'n'B roots and influences, and all good solid songwriting. "More Storms Comin'","Blue On Black", "Blind Since Birth", "Don't You Throw That Mojo On Me"................the list of great quality songs goes on and on.

All in all, a very thorough portrait of an extremely talented singer/songwriter and musician. Plenty of great R'n'B material and extremely good value for money. I think I paid a lot less than £10 for the 4-disc set, including V.A.T., postage and packaging.

on 29 July 2014
Like others i got this set by way of recommendation by Amazon for under £8.00 for 3 cds and a dvd it was a steal if i did'nt like it
whats £8.00 these days,but when it came i was delighted.I sent for his other 3 albums all little gems not bad for someone i'd never heard of a week before.The first album is the best but the others are up there pushing. If you are into blues/rock then this is for you buy it while you can.
on 12 May 2014
Thanks to an Amazon recommendation I have discovered Mark Selby. He's written more well known songs than I had realised and I wasn't aware that he is an artist in his own right. The three CD s in this package are all excellent from the stripped down "The horse he rode in on" to the full works on the live album and " More storms coming in"

The DVD is also excellent

All in all a lot of excellent music for an outstanding price
on 29 September 2014
I took a gamble and bought this because I love blues and was intrigued by some of the reviews when it came up on my suggested listening on Amazon. Wow! How come I have not heard of him before? Blues with a depth of voice that verges on soulful country and guitar playing to match. I put it on not sure what to expect and played the first album through without moving; excellent!
on 31 July 2014
I had never heard of this guy and I bought this on recommendation. He has been around for quite a while and has written a number songs for the more famous such as Kenny Wayne Shepherd. I really like this triple album it is a really good mix of acoustic, blues and rock and is excellent value and a very good listen.
on 1 September 2014
For a complete unknown in the UK, Mark Selby is a revelation. in fact I went out and bought two copies for friends of mine after just hearing the C.D's once. Such a gifted singer and guitarist with a wide range of musical styles. One of my great buys of the last five years.
on 22 July 2016
Even better than I expected and great value for money this Mark Selby Box Set is great entertainment.
on 21 August 2016
Very enjoyable
on 3 September 2014
Great value for money package you can't really go wrong with a deal like this,a fine artist a very good musician excellent five star music.