on 3 September 2015
This series continues to remind me of my own worries as a new dad. It's great to see things happen good and bad.. this is real life after-all.

This book is in the same fashion as the rest of the series, nice little diary entries which make it a super read. I've found this type of book is one i can easily read while having another book on the go. It's easy to pick up and read a few bits anytime you like and you don't need to concentrate to understand what is going on.

Again i had assumed the book would focus a lot more on the father and son bond/relationship and this book does have some great moments like to poo incident but the book is more focused on the father himself, work & love-life etc which made it quite an interesting read for me.

It's one of those books where i wasn't quite sure what the author would focus on but Pete's wrote a decent book and a great series. I've enjoyed them all

Role on book 4..
on 28 February 2014
This book is the next in the series from, and the sequel to, Diary of a Hapless Father: months 0-3 also by Pete Sortwell.

As with the other books, this tells the story of the next few months in the lives of Graham Peterson, his girlfriend Alison, and their baby son, Charlie.

At the end of his previous book, Graham's life was a mess, with only the birth of his son as a highlight. Starting where that book left off, Graham is filled with hope that his new job will prove to be the making of him.

He describes, in detail, how his job develops, from his first day. The story also tells of the development and growth of Charlie.

Graham has always been concerned that he was not sufficiently mature or experienced enough to be a dad, and Pete Sortwell explores this theme throughout.

There are some nice 'nods' to characters and places mentioned in previous books, but not too much or too many. You wouldn't, for example, have needed to have read any of the previous books to be able to follow the storyline here – but of course it helps.

Sortwell's almost loving description of his central characters new job as a counsellor/care worker betrays his own background to a degree, and enables the reader to escape, albeit temporarily, from the relentlessness of being a good parent to a very young baby.

Is there another episode in Graham's life to come? Who knows?

A well-deserved 5 stars
on 2 April 2014
Graham is a new dad who finds solace writing in a diary whilst juggling a new born, a girlfriend, a job and the prospect of aliens taking over the planet (but only in his head).
This book is perfect for looking at how a new father copes in the first year of a babies life. It's genius in dealing with the ups and downs and the memorable moments of parenting. You'll enjoy it if youre not a parent and learn somethings you never thought you would if you are. It's a funny take on parenting from a male perspective and despite it being fictional has real life aspects the whole way through - minus the aliens.

Short answer: Men go through the tough times too!
on 15 November 2014
I do love to read a mans diary, funny as all the others, can't help wondering if it was based on someone ;-)
on 15 March 2014
I have read both of the previous two books in this series-Diary of an Expectant Father and Diary of a Hapless Father. I thoroughly enjoyed these and this instalment was the best of the lot. For me, I feel Pete Sortwell is best at this genre. This is written in diary format which works really well and is short and to the point with no waffle. Perfect for a quick read between other heavy-going blockbusters. This is a fictional diary but feels so true, Pete probably has children? It certainly feels as if he has experienced much of this in the book as it's told so well. There's light humour in this book, a few chuckles, yet it doesn't feel forced as if he's trying too hard to be funny-it just naturally flows out of ordinary everyday experiences/ family issues. As well as the humour, there are also more serious issues and these are dealt with so well. All good 'real' stuff which makes you feel for the character. I love the book covers for this series of books, excellent, that all really adds to the package for me. This could be read alone but the three books work so well together, why not get them all? Although this is supposed to be fictional it is written so that it feels like someone's intimate diary. It's very engaging-I couldn't wait to pick it up to read just a bit more to see what happened next. I don't often give five stars to short books, simply because it's difficult to compare with the content of much longer books but this is one of the occasions when it is justified. Pete packs so much into so few words. I hope he continues this series of diaries, this works so well and I would love to read more.
on 15 March 2014
I normally reserve most of my reading for when I am on holiday. Why, because when I sit down to a book where I want to know what happens next, the rest of the family run out of clean clothes and might go hungry unless of course I am hungry myself. Well that was exactly the case with this trilogy. Easy reading in mostly short chapters which represent an entry in a diary, you would think that I could have put it down between diary entries but no, I was glued to the sofa as Graham's story unfolded.

Expectant, hapless and inexperienced what comes next? I want to follow this story all the way through to parent's evening at school.
on 29 May 2014
I give this five stars as it does what a great book should and that is to escape from the real World for a bit by slipping someone else's.

I really like the character of the Father in the book as he has the full range of human emotions I would expect from someone going through becoming a Father for the first time.

One thing little thing that I think let the series of books down (This is minor and owes more to me being very anal about details sometimes) is that given the main character was in a minimum wage job and lived by himself he seemed to spend lots of money on going to the pub, getting takeaways etc that if he really did that job; he would not be able to afford to pay all his bills. A silly little thing but just made it a little less believable as a world you are trying to visualize. However this did not detract from my enjoyment of the book and I eagerly await more in the series.
on 24 February 2014
I read the first two of this collection, so I was pleased to see the third released. It’s slightly different in that things seem to be going ok on the outside of this book, although as we go along, we still see the same tragic Graham trying to make things right. I enjoyed the ending of this one a bit more than the others, it has to be said.
on 29 April 2014
I loved every word of this book. I didn't realise it is not the first in the series, but I don't think it has spoilt it for me - I will have to get the others now. It brought back 40 year old memories of when my two boys were little. It is well written and very true to life. I am sure Charlie will love reading these when he is older.
on 25 March 2014
Gently funny splattered with 'Ahh' moments. A page tuner with a great story. My son is now 8 but reading this brings back many memories of him as a tot.
Thanks Pete.