'You Are the Placebo' written by Joe Dispenza is an insightful book that shows how much power our mind has, and how meditation can help us to overcome various difficulties in life.

Dr. Joe Dispenza raises the question is it possible to heal using only our thoughts, and then at almost 400 pages using numerous examples from his rich practice shows that it happens more often than it might be expected, referring to cases of serious illnesses such as cancer, Parkinson’s disease or problems with heart.

He divided his books into two large sections – Information and Transformation - of which the first part that occupies two-thirds of book is providing the entire background of the placebo effect, its history, perceptions, as well as several cases of personal transformation detailed presentations due to placebo effect. In the second part, the author is turning to the reader offering assistance in meditation preparation and change of personal perceptions.

Although I consider myself a rational person, with this book it is evident that Dispenza skillfully walks the fine line between the science and spiritual; the author is teaching usage of our mind in the purpose of healing the physical body which conflicts with rooted scientific premises. And though I'm not entirely sure could I be fully convinced in such a thing, it seems that author’s main point is the fact that only a healthy mind can result in a healthy body and to treat only the body will not lead to those kind of results which will be achieved if we approach to our health problems in the way to treat our mind and body together.

Dr. Joe Dispenza with his book manages to put the reader in a position to come to such conclusion by him/herself, in order to start making necessary changes in lives we are living.

Every reader will judge how much the author’s thoughts will be helpful, but I'm quite sure that the persons who consider spirituality important in their lives, his book will consider extremely valuable.
22 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 May 2014
This is the biggest quantum leap you will ever take in this lifetime. People recovering from degenerative diseases time and time again, just by changing the way they think, thanks to Joe Dispenza.

Joe Dispenza has written two previous books, 'Evolve your brain' and 'Breaking the habit of being yourself'. What exactly happens the the physiology of a human being when there is a spontanious remission from terminal cancer. It can happen almost overnight. It happens again and again all over the world, but no-one knows why. So, Dispenza becomes qualified in every science relevant to finding out and sets about finding the answer. What exactly are these people thinking, to make this happen? What is happening in their brains when they are healing?

Brain scans reveal which sections of the brain become activated and stimulate the physiological changes in the body when a person mentally breaks away from the stress programs in their body. Conscious attempts at this are feutile, because it's the body that fills itself with adrenaline and cortisol when the red flag goes up and each and every time, there is absolutely nothing we can do about it.

Joe Dispenza shows the scientific pathway he has been exploring for the past thirty years (since he miraculously recovered from 6 compession fractures of his spine with a spinal cord twisted like a pretzel, surgeons wanting to afix bars down either sides of his vertibrae to prevent him from being paralised and crippled. He went home and fully recovered in 10 weeks, no back pain since. Yes, that's totally impossible, but it happened, so it's not). Brain scans following the route the brain takes people reverse the genetic changes that have occured within your body, hammered by environmental stressors all your life. There is a process, which has been blindly recognised and referred to over the years by science as the placibo, or in religious terms it's called a miracle. Now they know what's happening and how to replicate the process. How to heal by thought alone. Thought, got you into this mess, now how about thought getting you out of it.

I'm now practicing the process in this book and my thrity years of endless searching, reading, theorizing and analysing are well and truly over. There is a meditation CD you really have to buy to go with the book. But read the book to fully appreciate what is actually happening during the meditation and to strengthen your understanding and belief that you are just about to see the light for the first time in your life.

This book should have a stand of it's own. I am not religious and I am not a crazy. Take a chance with this book. You will never look back again.

Thank you Joe !

Ian
22 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 May 2014
I have been following Joe Dispenza's work for several years and have attended one of his workshops in 2012.
He is truly inspirational and his work is evidence based.
This book is true to his usual professional and innovative style and goes even further in helping us to help ourselves.
A book really worth reading.
For anyone inspired by this book, his website has lots of free articles.
on 16 December 2014
Brilliant stuff...very powerful. Dr Dispenza makes us believe. This might be the future for the human race.. When I read this book I felt like I was being reminded of something I had forgotten....recommended.
on 20 May 2014
This book really well explains how meditation can be used to heal the body. Unique about this book is how it combines so many different aspects (biology, psychology, quantum physics, neuroscience) to bring accross the message of how meditation can benefit anybody. The brain scans of people doing the meditations with Dr Joe, are a real bonus.

I have been doing the meditations of Dr Joe Dispenza for a while. This book was a real break through for me, in terms of understanding the different elements of the meditations and what their purpose are. After reading ths book, I feel more inspired than ever to continue the meditations.
on 18 June 2014
This is am awsome book, well written and inspirational. It explains as far as possible, the power of belief and positive/negative thinking and positive/negative emotions over our reality.....but does so by drawing on some of the latest scientific research in psychology, neuro science and quantum physics. It offers objective explanations of why the mind and our emotions are so powerful and the extent to which they can change our lives and our health for better or worse. It explains the mind body link and gives explanations of the physiological, biological and genetic changes that take place with thought and emotion. It then goes further to explain the processes we can use to change our health and life (such as medition, affirmations, visualisation) but takes our understanding of the effects of these processes on the mind and body/biology to another level by explaining WHY they work.and the BEST way to use them to optimise their effect..again backed by objective scientific current understanding!!
For anyone that truly wants change.........this is a MUST Buy book......I work in the field of counselling/psychology and I am always looking for something inspirational, different but objective. I Love this book.!!!
on 24 November 2014
I'm a huge fan of Dispenza's work and found a new understanding of reality and myself after reading his books and hearing his talks. This is another informative book that has the potential to really expand our minds and change how we look at healing and recovery.

Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed by the long winded examples and supposed real life cases, especially I see no proof to back them up. It made me quite sceptical if I'm honest. As with his previous book, you also have to pay extra for the guided meditation.
on 20 May 2014
I loved this book. The human body and mind is capable of wonderful things and this book shows how it can be achieved.
on 11 June 2015
If your open to looking at the world in a different way this book can provide you with the strategies and tools to truly change your life. Many of the ideas are not new but the writer presents them in a new way supported by experience and documented evidence.
on 6 December 2014
I was simply enthralled by the way Joe took me down a path never envisaged by me in my 75 years. I am hoping that i will be able to reach inside myself and eventually find a fascinating new world out there. I am already and have always been grateful for my life and my family and friends but a new level of gratitude there may well be.