As I have stated before about this series, it has been a long time since a new author or series has seized me as much as these authors and this series. In a few days I read this short story, the first novel and the prequel short story. In fact The only reason I did not jump into book 2 was to take some time to write reviews of the first three I read.

The Order of Sanguines is a secret society within the Catholic church, they are sworn to fight the Strigoi, vampires, but they also have other secrets. And this story follows two brothers Christian and Arthur, it also follows a series of murders that took place in the 70's and the story is being recounted by Arthur. It provides some interesting backstory about the Order of the Sanguines. It really wets the appetite foe book 2 Innocent Blood.

I know it has become a trend for publishers to want short stories set in and around series. Either to draw attention or hype to new books, back fill stories, and keep readers interested. But sometimes these stories are just fodder to fill time, this is not one of those books. This was a great little read. The introduction to Christian and his story is excellent. In fact it left me desperate to read book 2. In fact this short story was so good it is a pity there was not one before book three came out.

A great short story well worth checking out.
on 22 February 2014
Great read but way to short . A must read for fans of the books.
Can't wait for the next instalment
on 28 August 2014
Cracking quick read, wish I had read this before 'Innocent Blood' though as I feel that I bought half a book for nothing. Still good though!
on 12 March 2014
Good story and lead up to Innocent Blood. James Rllins and Rebecca Cantrell complement each other in their writing. Recommend this.
on 15 February 2015
This is the first book in a trilogy. Great story. I don't want to give to much away but it's a roller coaster ride about three main characters solving riddles in the aim to get a wonderous religious artifact. I couldn't put it down. Buy it now!
on 5 February 2016
I've read all the Sanguines trilogy and thought I would read this for completion. This is a great intro to the trilogy. Highly recommend reading this first. Great books. Best reads.
on 31 January 2017
A continuation of the order of the sanguines saga, excellent from start to finish, I want more of this please.
on 13 August 2015
Gave me more insight into the character in the trilogy which I really liked definitely worth reading.
on 1 February 2015
I have enjoyed the series so far and this was just a little addition to keep me going.
on 20 September 2015
Not long enough... I want Rollins' book to go on forever.