Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop now New Album - Steps Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

VINE VOICEon 22 April 2014
Colour: Jade|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
(Reviewed by my girlfriend)

First off, these are standard GHD hair straighteners. There’s nothing special about them, they’re the standard size, standard plates, and standard grip. By my scales these are 30 grams lighter than my year-old GHDs, but that’s the only difference.

They are, like all GHDs, amazing hair straighteners, able to give my mid-back length coarse curly hair a quick once over in less than 10 minutes, and full-on poker straight in 15.

So, what makes these different to other GHDs? Not much really. The plug is a fixed UK plug, rather than the usual European two pin with click-on converter. The on/off switch is a chunky square, rather than flat slider. The LED that lights up to indicate the straighteners are hot is a bright flashing red square (I much prefer the gentle gold glowing light on my current pair, but hey).

I find with GHD it all comes down to colour choice, and the Apple product type drive for the kudos of having the ‘new’ range. With this edition of GHDs you get no added-value whatsoever. There’s no bag, no heat mat, no clips, not even the cheap plastic cap that holds the straighteners in the closed position for storage.

If you want the thrill of the new, go for it. If you’re just looking for a pair of GHDs, there’s no discernable difference between these and older editions which are £40 cheaper.
Colour: Periwinkle|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
GHD have always been a premium brand and their straighteners are arguably the best a consumer can buy. The last pair we bought in our household are still going strong after 8 years of use which is testament in itself.

So on to this new model. Firstly it comes in a nice glossy pastel colour they’ve called ‘periwinkle’.

In hand they feel very much the same as our old pair but with a few nice tweaks. There is an audible beep when they are ready and feature a handy cut off if they haven’t been used in a while 930 minutes). This is great for those of us double and triple checking to make sure they are unplugged.

In use they seem to glide a lot easier than the old pair and do equally as good a job if not slightly better. The cable is nice and long and swivels where it meets the straightener so you can easily stand where you want.

My only niggle is whilst the packaging is very nice I would have expected maybe a pouch or some sort of heat bag to keep them in, especially considering how much these go for.

Overall though, these are still the top dog and now in even more colours to suit everyone.
on 17 June 2014
Colour: Jade|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have always loved GHDs and have used them for years and these certainly live up to expectation. They heat up in 10 seconds and run through my hair so smoothly - it never snags. The straighteners are light, easy to use and quick to pack away and the power cord is fairly long too.

The colour is also gorgeous - the photos don't really do it justice.

Love them!
VINE VOICEon 5 June 2014
Colour: Jade|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Why is it that if I straighten my hair with ghds it STAYS STRAIGHT??!!
No other straighteners do this, especially in the rain, the slightest hint of wet and back come the kinks. But with ghds I just have to comb through and it looks as good as new. Ive really no idea how they Do this, but im not complaining. My first pair of ghds were mk 3s in 2006, they are still going strong but I upgraded to the 4s just to get the 30 min switch off feature as im one of those who always thinks ive left the darn things on, even when I havent. But both pairs were black, so I just had to have these pretty ones. I used the blue (periwinkle) ones myself, and lent the jade green ones to a new to ghd friend to try.

The blue ones looked fab, the box is pretty and the irons are finished ina glossy shine which on first sight I thought might be slippery. No, theyre lovely to handle, light, manoeuvrable and easy to place accurately without accidentally burning yourself. The smooth finish seems to somehow be grippy as well and the overall feel is quality. The switch is a simple on and off and well placed, unlike some straighteners which are easy to switch off by mistake when using them. One difference from my older pair is that these came with just a normal UK plug, whereas the oldef ones had a " convertible" uk/eu plug which did in fact prove useful on holidzy once or twice. Otherwise, I prefer the shiny finish and given that Im spoilt, would happily pay the extra for a favourite colour over black. Its also nice if you are giving as yourself a favour, pick a colour and splash out. You cant go wrong with these.
Colour: Jade|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Well, GHD straighteners are used in numerous salons (also sold in them) and are generally considered by many hair stylists to be about the best on the market. They are pretty much the same as standard MK IV GHDs apart from the colour and some other minor cosmetic differences. They heat up fast and the ceramic plates seem to be the usual good quality ones that glide through the hair with ease. So, just like the standard GHD MK IV product, these straighteners tick the right boxes - they heat up fast and to an appropriate temperature, they have good ceramic plates, and they seem to do the trick in terms of hair styling. The 'jade' colour is quite appealing and will liven up things I imagine. Why 3 stars? Well this is because, as essentially GHD Marks IV stylers, my experience with these products in terms of longevity has not been good. I have had three pairs (all guaranteed original genuine stock - sourced from Amazon or direct from GHD) and all have failed within a period of 11 to 24 months, with the same issue - they die with no power, and this seems to be a recurring fault with some batches, to do with the electrical connection in the lead breaking. I HOPE these Jade stylers do not succumb to this problem, as stylers should last longer than this.
VINE VOICEon 23 April 2014
Colour: Jade|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've never had straighteners before, I've had my hair straightened in a salon but I've never done it myself. I was really pleasantly surprised when I first used these GHDs. They heat up in less than 10 seconds, and the light flashes and it emits a loud beep to tell you it's ready. I was quite apprehensive to start with, seeing as the plates are really hot, but soon got the hang of it and in just a couple of minutes had shiny, swishy, swinging hair! I was really pleased with the results and immediately used the GHDs on my daughter, but seeing as her hair is poker straight anyway they didn't make as much of a difference on her hair.

My hair was left soft and shiny, and my sticking out layers were tamed, so I was really chuffed. I also like the swivelling cable and the long length of the cord, which means it's a doddle to plug them in AND stand in front of the mirror.

Now after a few uses I'm starting to get annoyed that some kind of heat-resistant mat or bag isn't included with the straighteners, they're just not that easy to put away. I've resorted to using the box they came in, less the plastic insert which held the straighteners in place. For the selling price I would expect a little more, but considered on their own these straighteners are fab and (most importantly) make my hair look fab!
VINE VOICEon 24 May 2014
Colour: Jade|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Apart from the attractive colour, these straighteners are really no different to the original model. Like the original model, they straighten and curl well and they have great safety features. I have no complaints. People who have seen these straighteners have commented on their fun colour which is nice.
on 1 May 2014
Colour: Periwinkle|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Just as Dyson are instantly associated with vacuum cleaners, when a product has ghd on it, you know you can guarantee a high quality product, and these latest straighteners do not disappoint. They don’t offer anything new (as far as I can tell) over the previous IV model, other than you now have the choice of three glossy colours. If that is important to you, then you’ll love these! If it’s not, then you can still pick up the standard model for about £15-20 cheaper.

They’re quite compact so good for taking away at the weekend, though like other ghd straighteners I’ve never really been blown away with the build quality – I’ve never had any actually fall apart on me, but they do feel a bit plastic for the price you pay.

Still, they deliver the high quality I’ve come to expect from ghd products which eclipses most other brands out there, so I’m not complaining!
VINE VOICEon 15 May 2014
Colour: Periwinkle|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Rolls Royce of straighteners! GHD have always been the 'go to' brand for premium hair straighteners, and this latest model continues the trend. Nothing has really changed, aside from the funky colour, but there is an additional 'beep' function when they are heated and ready to use. It's a shame they don't come with a travel pouch, they should do for this price.
VINE VOICEon 22 April 2014
Colour: Lavender|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My Dad always told me to buy the best I could afford. This styler/straightener from GHD is a good example of this. Undoubtedly the best of its type available, it feels solid in the hand, and oozes quality of manufacture. It has useful safety features that turn it off if not in use, and the lavender colour sets it apart from the usual black alternatives. The cord swivels in use, which stops tangling, and the universal voltage is handy for travellers too.

All this comes at a price though, and puts these up there with the most expensive hair care products. Not everyone can afford such quality unfortunately, so I have knocked off one star for this. That may seem harsh, when I have given an otherwise glowing review, but I feel sure that it could still be as good, though less expensive. I suspect that the makers are trading on the reputation somewhat, and this keeps the price high, and opens the market to fakes and copies.
But if you can afford them, or justify the expense, they are undoubtedly the best available.

See one answered question