on 20 March 2015
This is a very well, but potentially over-engineered head. The action in all planes is silky smooth and the friction dials do a very good job of allowing you to get a low inertia movement in all the planes. It's heavy, but that's hardly surprising. If you're after a very precise pan & tilt head and can cope with some additional weight I recommend it.

Update
One thing I have noticed is that if you want to use a lot of vertical angle (more Astro protography than nature), the mount will only move so far if you mount the camera or scope facing away from the handle you see on the top left in the product photo. If you mount in the other direction you can go almost vertical, but then the handle is out-front which is less intuitive to use. It's not detracted from my rating though, but worth bearing in mind.
on 10 May 2014
Have just bought this head, to attach to my Manfrotto MT190XPRO tripod. It is a quality product, solidly constructed and well engineered. Generally, very easy to use. The quick release system seems secure (I'm not really a fan of quick release systems). The retractable handles are brilliant and are very effective at reducing the size of the head, without compromising on its functionality. I am a bit disappointed in the adjustable friction controls; on mine, they both have to be at the very highest setting, to have any impact. I had expected much finer control. Their shape does not lend itself to the level of force required at the far end of the adjustment either. The friction control on my Giottos ball head, is much finer and also easier to operate. However, I don't consider this warrants knocking a whole star off, so have still given 5 stars.

Overall, a quality and well made product that I am happy to recommend.
on 16 March 2015
I have owned this head for about 3 months now, I bought it to replace an 804RC2 head which was on my previous tripod. It is a well built, well designed head, which uses the Manfrotto RC2 quick release system. If your familiar with the RC2 system this is an easy change, if not it is easy to get used to, it can be fiddly at first, but once you have the hang of it, I have found it to work well over a number of years. The X Pro 3 way head is lighter than previous heads and very very compact with the levers retracted, they can be used both retracted or pulled out which is a bonus. The friction arrangements on the head allow you to set the friction to suit whatever rig you have attached, this in turn allows very precise positioning of the head, before you lock it off. I'm not sure what other reviewers have attached, but even the heaviest setups I have are catered for, this includes a Canon Eos 1Dx with 70-200 f/2.8 IS lens and 1.4x converter. The other really useful feature is a three way spirit level in the back corner of the head plate which makes it really easy to ensure the camera is level and saves the need to fit one to the hotshoe. Overall excellent
on 9 March 2015
Absolutely superb, only had it out once, never got any decent pics as the conditions where awful, was a pleasure to use, looking forward to giving it some proper action, definatly a step up from my old Manfrotto ball head, would recomend this head to anybody looking for a new one, the friction knobs are a godsend, the retractable handles are a design masterpiece, i've steered clear of 3 way heads in the past due to the long handles, i actualy destroyed a camera and lens once by accidently knocking the tripod over thanks to it's handles, with this head there is no chance of doing the same, kudos to Manfrotto for such a well thought out tripod , however if you are looking for a compact head BEWARE! it is quite large
on 30 July 2015
This is a good, solid head by a recognised manufacturer. It is a bit heavy when carting your tripod around for landscapes, etc., but that is the price you pay for a steady platform, and it is not that expensive compared to some models. Base has standard 3/8 female screw, qr plate (1 supplied) is male 1/4 inch.

I would suggest a test for a good head is whether, when the camera is flipped to the portrait (vertical) position it can be held at the correct angle without slipping. This head manages that, and it does flip to 90 degrees, unlike some cheapo models. The heaviest I hang on it is a Canon 5d mark iii with battery grip and 17/40 or 24/105 L series lenses, so I cannot comment beyond that; the leaflet gives the maximum weight capacity as 8 kg. Panning is 360 degrees, tilt +90 to -30, levelling same.

The interesting features on this head are the handles that retract inwards for storage/transport, and the friction knobs. The latter allow you to set a degree of resistance on the vertical and sideways tilts that permits smooth movement of the head while simultaneously keeping it in the chosen position: get it right and you don't need to lock off the llevers until you are set up correctly.I specialise in architectural photography and this is a great help in accurately lining up shots of buildings without going to the expense of a geared head.There are three spirit levels, though I prefer cube levels on the hotshoe as easier to see.

Highly recommended.
on 17 November 2014
The three way head is very good. A very sturdy and solid build, yet remains compact. The friction adjustment works well and at maximum friction is sufficient to stop even heavy gear from slipping. There is really nothing I don't like about the head itself.

Why only 4 stars?

The quick release plate has a bad flaw. The screw is secured by a circlip, the circlip sits over a hole on the plate which is a little too big for it. This means the circlip can slightly fall into this hole. While undoing the plate from my camera the locking bolt and all completely detached from the plate. The circlip had gotten stuck in the hole and caught the thread, undoing itself as i removed the plate from the camera. This happened under completely normal use. If any of the parts had of gone missing it would risk upsetting an important shoot.

Perhaps I was one in a million and just very unlucky. None the less, I might be one in a million and have the chance to shoot something very special, I don't need a design flaw like this putting things in jeopardy. A mildly larger circlip would do the job
VINE VOICEon 29 June 2015
I like macro photography where precise positioning is incredibly important and I found a ball head just had a bit too much movement, and this tripod head does not disappoint. I can precisely position the camera to take just the right shot. Very easy to position and the lock in with absolutely no movement of the head once locked.
It is a bit heavy to be lugged around when traveling at nearly 2Kg, but is perfect when in a studio or where I am not having to move to much.
I must admit I am not using a Manfroto Tripod, I have an XCSOURCE Q-666C carbon fibre tripod, this head does fit it perfectly with no issues.
on 28 April 2015
Ball Heads seem to have taken over in recent years from the traditional but bulky Three Way Head, this brilliant offering from Manfrotto isn't about to reverse that trend, but as Three Way Heads go this is a very fine piece of engineering, beautifully crafted, solid, sooo smooth in operation, and those retractable handles do a brilliant job of almost making it as compact as a large Ball Head. This was an expensive gamble for me having got used to compact Ball Heads, but mated to my Giottos tripod legs it has proved an absolutely no regrets purchase. Worth every penny, no regrets.
on 28 April 2014
Having used many types/brands of tripod heads over the last 23 years, this one outshines the others by a long way. Very good engineering. Easy and quick to set up and use. Love the retractable handles.
on 6 November 2015
Dream to use - For years I was using an 029 head with hex plate which never was ideal with my wife using RC2 plates - then with a Rapid Strap I'd be taking plates off/on again, so caved and bought this head!

It's every bit as stable in for use as the 029 was (if Russia built tripod heads it'd be the 029), but the weight saving is well worth it, I've bolted on a D750 plus 500mm lens and it's not moved from where I left it!