on 8 October 2017
okay
on 12 February 2014
I started the first book and it is written in the present tense, which, I do not particularly like. I could not warm to the main character (Frank McKenzie) and became quite frustrated with him. I loathed the fact that the main detective (McKenzie) was a drug addict and this did not endear me to him. For me it seemed quite implausible for him to be able to work under the influence. I prefer my heroes yes to have a history and not necessarily be Mr Perfect, but to at least be credible. I didn't finish it. I may try the others but at the moment I am just not interested. Will write a review if I get round to the others. Apologies for the negativity but this just didn't rock my boat!
Having had comments from the author, I may now finish the book and review these comments.

I am adding to this as I have now completed the book I am reviewing my previous comments above. The story itself is good and quite gripping but I still do not like the present tense being used and I would have preferred McKenzie to have been a better character. I will however now read the other 2 books in the series and comment on them when I am finished.
44 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 April 2014
Fine in one sense but disappointing in that the main Detective is always either on the "booze" or on his form of "medication2". Sorry- perhaps I found that a little objectionable and more concentration on the cases in hand would have been better.
on 13 April 2014
The story's were ok! and it was a really good price.But I just felt like I wanted more,i suppose it's because I like longer more involved story lines.
on 12 February 2014
Frank McKenzie’s greatest hits!
I loved these three books. The Frank McKenzie stories are always full of fast paced chapters and even faster dialogue. Frank tends to be a bit of a maverick at time and even blurs the lines when it comes to who the real bad guys are, but in the end of the day, he always pulls through and saves the day….well most of the times!
What I like about each of these books is with every new Frank McKenzie release, I see a glimmer of hope in getting Frank to a better place, and then bam, somebody has to ruin his day.
The Casual Killer is pretty chaotic, and at times overwhelming, but I did find a great story at its roots. Plenty Of Pain kept me on the edge of my seat and I found it extremely entertaining, if not exhausting it’s so fast paced! 25th Of Dismember is the bloodiest of the lot and I recon it’s more akin to a horror movie than anything else, but it doesn’t hold any punches and is by far the most original of the three.
Overall I think this collection delivers and can’t wait for the next McKenzie book to drop.
on 29 March 2014
Any mystery or detective readers. Not too light, have to think about it. Would recommend if usually fast reader. Liked.
on 2 April 2014
I thought these books were good. They were fast and full of action. I read them in a few days and enjoyed the stories.
Frank McKenzie is a good character; he is a tad mental though!

Recommended.
on 21 February 2014
I checked back here thinking this was a new book but unfortunately it was a box set of the books I already read but I thought I'd offer my opinion. Plenty of Pain is the newest book and regardless of whether you like the other two, they are just bonuses to this great book. Casual Killer does attempt a present tense, which I don't like, but it's a good story worth reading if you give it a chance. Definately worth the price.
on 1 March 2014
Although I have already purchased one of these books (plenty of pain) seperately I saw these 3 books were on special offer (and it was still cheaper to buy as a package) so thought I would try the other two books from this author.

Both Casual Killer and 25th of Dismember are great books and I thoroughly enjoyed reading them. If you like detective novels that are hard core then I recommend you check them out. These books are gritty violent thrillers not the faint hearted.
on 20 April 2014
3 good books which entertain and keep you guessing. A very good buy and well worth getting for lovers of crime