Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 15 February 2014
Excellent book, though maybe not for the squeamish. Fascinating read - each method of execution is explained over two to three pages, and the author clearly states where there may be any doubt as to the historical accuracy of the methods. There is enough detail included as to give a clear idea of how these punishments were performed, without being sensationalist. But the methods are also described quite graphically, so may not be to everyone's taste. But as an insight as to how society punished criminals and heretics it is superb.

If you're interested in the darker side of human nature and history, this is a must-read.
on 12 January 2016
I will give a warning - this is NOT for the faint hearted (as it says), as some parts of this book are quite barbaric, especially when you remember some of these methods of execution are still carried out today and others were used until about 100 years ago.
I have a few books about execution and torture and this one is very well researched and written - better than some I have and includes some methods I hadn't heard about before, but most I had. If you are interested in this subject, as I am, I would recommend this but I wouldn't read while you're eating!
on 8 May 2014
This is an ok book on the subject some of the forms are probably already well known on how they were performed, to me i was already informed on from watching history programs and through learning at school in the past like hanging a lot of us know about that and also beheading nothing new there and burning at the stake say I take it every one knows about what happened to Joan the ark but there are others that are probably less known of take the one about being torn apart by horses that's probably less known about but all in all a pretty good read
on 21 April 2016
Story line
It's just unbelievable to read about such things but it did happen but people are fascinated by such things
on 11 April 2016
An excellently written account of this grisly subject
on 16 May 2014
This is a short precis of the subject and didn't introduce anything I hadn't read before. Disappointed - don't expect too much