on 3 March 2014
Wow, Mr Nuttall just gets better with every new book in this series. I am hooked. This new episode in the Empire Corps set is full of action which is both realistic and thought provoking. He is fully aware of the logistics and political side to any conflict and by marrying this into the story makes for better reading than a lot of sci fi battle stories which focus on unbelievable action and techno babble. For fans who have read the other books it is a great culmination of events from the other episodes. This probably would not be nearly as good as a stand alone book (unlike some of the others in the series which could be read without too much prior knowledge) It is great to be back with the Commonwealth and some favourite characters have returned. Again the characters seem real and you can't help but feel for them, whether it's liking them or hating them. I am looking forward to reading more about Pete...I can't wait to read the next one.
VINE VOICEon 11 April 2014
Christopher Nuttall is one of those writers that can turn out an excellent, captivating, page turner or something that is a repetitious drag. Retreat Hell the 8th Empire Corps book is closer the latter than the former.

The plot is not too far removed from the previous book with our heros sent to help a colony world that is suffering an insurrection but unknown to them the insurrection is back by another star nation as a prelude to invasion. Alas our heros seem to do little right and much wrong while there enemies can to do nothing wrong leading of course to disaster.

Sorry this one was not for me.
on 2 November 2015
Back again to the original story line of the marines in Avalon. Generally a good development of the plot, though we are once again in the same situation of a broken society causing its own problems. It does end in a cliffhanger of sorts but thankfully the next book in the series does deal with the same story line. What spoiled this book for me was the confusion of spellings. Some may not care, but for me when 'principle' is used instead of 'principal' it irritates and spoils my read
on 19 August 2014
Woof Woof. Another strong story continuing the saga across light years. Even as you read, you want to run outside and savage a cuddly toy. It is engrossing and the last few pages give you a kick in the teeth so unexpected your faith in humanity stalls. Can it get much worse? Can I stand reading it? Only time will tell. Even if I never shed this white coat, even if I have to have canine psychologists picking over my dog biscuits for the rest of my life, I fear I will not be able to refuse book nine. Go on, shatter your mental health and read this saga. A definite continuance of three woofs on the aardvark fanciers guide. Woof woof!!
on 20 March 2014
Well, eagerly awaited and did not disappoint, again - complete entertainment, well rounded characters, a mostly believable plot (one slight itch I have with the characters is their naivety - Stalker's in providing security and checking arrivals to Avalon when the heat with Wolfsbane began to rise...and Jasmine for the way she tried to out think a fellow Marine, by using standard tactics and Mandy for really not displaying any strategical thought at all.....) - that being said, still 5 stars, love the series and looking forward to the next instalments.....
on 30 November 2014
When I first started this book l didn't rate it much, but l carried on with it and the story got better.

I am looking forward to reading the second half of the story. It's worth a try, if you like the other Nuttall books you'll like this one. Now, let me find and download the concluding book!
on 5 June 2014
Yet another intriguing war scenario developing where our heroes are seemingly overcome by events beyond their control. Well written threads of interweaving lives of individuals that affect each other's activities-many left in the air to enjoy their progress in the next episode! Keep them coming Mr. Nuttall!
Harast
on 23 April 2014
Very slow to start, found hard to read unlike the other . Novels. Love the authors other books not sure on this flowing Thu one through................. worth the read if just starting out long read for me tho
on 5 March 2014
The series is great, well written and engaging. This narrative explores a very different aspect of military si fi, what happens when they are losing, how do they cope and respond. Enjoyed it, very believable.
on 18 March 2014
I have read Ark Royal by the same author and assumed that this would be in the same realm. It has too much pre amble that is confusing to the story line. The story does not really pick up untill at least halfway through the book and by then i was totally lost as to what the story was.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse