Customer reviews

Today, Tomorrow And Forever
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 September 2017
This set if by far my favourite I love it. I am a hard core collector of anything Elvis and this collection ticks all the boxes. The choice of music is great and the quality of the recording is in my opinion one of the best.
on 1 November 2017
Very good album
on 29 August 2002
Alternate takes can sound great because they offer new performances or arrangements (enjoy Ann Margret on the 'Today, Tomorrow, and Forever' track), but there's not many of those amongst this unreleased 100. Several tracks are obviously poorer than the originals too, which makes this CD set for collectors' ears only. Some tracks are recorded on a low-fi home recorder which interrupt the otherwise perfect sound. The 'Follow That Dream' series of single CDs has already included alternate versions of many of these songs - however this 4 CD set is a cheaper buy.
on 25 August 2017
Love all Presley stuff
on 2 December 2017
Just a great set
on 8 April 2017
One of The Best From ELVIS.
on 15 March 2017
brill
on 7 September 2007
And now...to those gems:
Shake, Rattle, and Roll - honky tonk piano version with great closing note, similiar to Elvis' on the Milton Berle Show of April 3rd, 1956.
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You.
I Was The One (live) - great performance, with respectful mention of the Jordanaires.
I Got A Woman (live) - wish his rhythm guitar was more to the fore, but great workout, different from studio.
I Beg Of You - first attempt - should have found a way out way back when.
Is It So Strange? - eminently releasable, originally.
Got Alot of Livin' To Do - finale.
Loving You - alt. ballad version.
Treat Me Nice [movie version] - vocal group too far forward - hand clapping reminiscent of Hound Dog - did the Beatles' reference these tracks for I Want To Hold Your Hand?
Young and Beautiful / Steadfast, Loyal, and True [sans vocal group].
Doncha Think It's Time - fishing boat returning to shore at 4am ambience - substandard sonics do not hurt it.
I Need Your Love Tonight - instant good-timer in any take.
I Got Stung / The Fool - Elvis solo.
Are You Lonesome Tonight? - a hair out-of-sync, but a stunning take - different feel from hit single - tell me this cat can't act.
G.I. Blues - gotta believe Elvis didn't want to make a "Service Comedy" if he declined entertainment option while in Service, but a terrific vocal, voice box bursting.
Pocketful Of Rainbows -"one for the ladies"...and guys who could use a tip.
Swing Down Sweet Chariot - a jubilantly loose tryout.
Lonely Man [solo] - so Elvis can't play guitar?
Can't Help Falling In Love / Follow That Dream / Anything That's Part Of You.
King of the Whole Wide World - not orig. releasable, but...a fine "getting there" take.
A Boy Like Me, A Girl Like You - imperfect but golden valentine - wow, this dude can operate a speedboat and sing at the same time! - images called forth of actress Laurel Goodwin enchanted at his side - from under-appreciated movie .
They Remind Me Too Much Of You -this one should have been a Las Vegas set-piece for Elvis - a mesmerizing art ballad begging for reconsideration.
Today, Tomorrow, and Forever [duet] - EP and A-M, the one you've read about for decades - would have fit in the movie - but maybe a little much (mush?).
Hide Thou Me [Graceland recording for personal reference] - more powerful than some of the tracks from How Great Thou Art.
Long Legged Girl - slower tempo - Elvis actually gets into it - has some more aural pop than the originally released vinyl cut.
Big Boss Man / Guitar Man / Memories;
Almost - appears to be in lower key - very, very effective.
True Love Travels On A Gravel Road - loose but engaging attempt.
Let Us Pray / Baby, What You Want Me To Do [Las Vegas] / Runaway / My Babe / What'd I Say [Las Vegas] / See See Rider / Polk Salad Annie / Life / (That's What You Get) For Lovin' Me / A Thing Called Love / Take Good Care Of Her / I Miss You / I Got A Feeling In My Body / If You Talk In Your Sleep - vocal group too far back on this very strong outtake.
Promised Land - no background voices here - in a way better than the 45rpm.
Your Love's Been A Long Time Coming - non-commercial but hypnotic Country reflection;
Pieces Of My Life / For The Heart / She Thinks I Still Care.
All the non-gems still have something worthwhile: if not Elvis at his best, then the tune itself.
Gotta say, re. catalogue designations: I feel that "Alternate Take" is a misnomer for what I sense is an "Outtake". Something like "Alternate Take 9" suggests to me that there are other releasable takes.
Nifty packaging. Colin Escott outdid himself on the notes; some positively poetic.
on 24 July 2004
This BMG's official collection for the 25th anniversary of Elvis' death, and whilst I have seen mixed reviews in both music magazines and on the Internet, in my opinion it's a good set. This compilation spans Elvis recording career from 1954 - 1976 and the majority of it consists of previously unreleased material. There are a couple of acetates and home recordings included, but for the most part the sound quality is excellent.
The 1956 Little Rock recordings have been issued before on both bootleg and budget releases, but I think the sound quality on the new set is slightly better, and would guess that BMG have used a different source tape. The 50's out takes are for the most part good in terms of both performance and sound quality. Some of these are quite close to the masters, but this is probably an indication of the young Elvis striving for perfection in the studio, and they are no less interesting to listen to because of this.
The farm version of "Loving You" features a different arrangement to the master take, and I particularly like the alternate version of "Is It So Strange". Take 2 of "Shake Rattle And Roll" would probably have been my own personal favourite on this disc, had I not already heard a similar arrangement on take 8, (from the '50's box) but I still love that extra verse and piano solo. Disc two is split between Nashville out takes and songs from the soundtrack sessions, and whilst the quality of these songs is a little more varied than the material Elvis cut in the '50's, there are certainly some gems amongst them.
"Are You Lonesome Tonight" is a great performance, particularly when you consider this version consists of takes 1 & 2, and the likes of "Follow That Dream", "King Of The Whole Wide World", and "They Remind Me Too Much Of You" are a timely reminder that some of the songs recorded for Elvis' 1960's movies were equally as good as the material he was cutting in Nashville.
The duet with Ann Margaret is an obvious highlight, as is the under rated "Ask Me" from 1964. This track was cut at the last non soundtrack session until May, 1966, but the home recording of "Hide Though Me" featured at the end of this disc does give the listener an insight into Elvis' intentions for his next studio album.
On to disc three and we hear Elvis during a transitional period. His movie career is coming to an end and the first seeds of his comeback are being sown. Many would cite the Burbank recordings as the turning point in Elvis' career, but I think Elvis' 1967 versions of "Big Boss Man" and "We Call On Him", which are both represented by good alternate versions on this set, prove that he had already renewed his interest in recording quality material again, some months before work actually started on the Special. "US Male" from early 1968 is further proof of Elvis' artistic intentions, and at the risk of contradicting myself, if you listen to 1966's "Indescribably Blue" you will find yourself wondering whether Elvis ever actually went away.
The special is also represented by a couple of out takes and the stereo master of "Memories", and after a couple of out takes from the legendary Memphis sessions, and a couple from Elvis' final movies this disc ends with five excellent performances from Elvis' opening Las Vegas season in 1969. I particularly like Elvis' introduction before his performance of Jimmy Reed's "Baby What You Want Me To Do" which he describes as "the world's oldest blues man".
Disc four starts with three excellent performances from Elvis' February 1970 Las Vegas season, and these are so close to the masters that I couldn't really say which versions are better. "Walk A Mile in My Shoes" is my own personal favourite. We then get three out takes from the productive June 1970 Nashville sessions, and this theme continues with further out takes from the same studios recorded in 1971. I particularly liked the folk tinged "For Lovin' Me" and the studio rehearsal of "A Thing Called Love". Both Elvis' 1972 Hollywood session and the Aloha broadcast are represented, and then we are given a number of out takes from the July & December Stax sessions.

Whilst in some cases the vocals on these out takes are not quite as polished as the released master takes, hearing Elvis' and the band as they were in the studio without the overdubs makes them worthy inclusions on the set. James Burton is excellent on "Promised Land", and Elvis' vocal on "You're Loves Been A Long Time Coming" is awesome. A strong "Pieces Of My Life" follows, and the disc closes with three tracks from the 1976 Graceland sessions. My own personal favourite being "For The Heart".

In summing up a fitting tribute to Elvis on the 25th anniversary of his death. Personally, I would have saved the acetates and home recordings for the collectors FTD label in order to present the songs in the best possible sound, but this is only a minor point, and it only applies to a handful of tracks. As the set includes live performances from both 1969 and 1970, I think it would have been nice to end the set with one of the better live performances from 1977, to show that Elvis was still capable of great performances right up until the end, but again this is only a minor point.
0Comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 August 2003
Yes, but this is tremendous. Starts at the very beginning of his career and brings you through to the very end. There are so many gems in this you must sit down and savour this at your leisure.
Track Today, Tomorrow and Forever shows just how short sighted the Colonel and RCA were - this should have been one of his biggest hits (the sigh at the end says it all - he's loving it).
This CD collection shows how Elvis grew as a singer, just getting better and better from Harbour Lights, King of the Whole Wide World through to A Thing Called Love. You can listen again and again and hear something new.
A lot of people don't like these releases containing outtakes but I love them. They can show the true man, a man with a sense of humour, a man when recording the soundtrack pap just gets on with the job.
This is cracking. Invest in it today, but if you are a true Elvis fan you'll already own it.