Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 April 2016
I read some of the customer reviews before buying this CD. I was concerned, when I read that Jack Black was singing the 'Last in Line' track, which is one of my all time favourites by RJD. More so, when the reviewers where rating Black's performance; however, it is rare that I take view of critics as I like to judge for myself. In this instance, I was presently surprised, Black carried the song well, and I was really impressed when he hit the high powerful notes at the beginning of the song. My advice to Black, pack in comedy, and become a metal god, you have a fantastic voice. The only aspect I did not like about the song was the flute; but I am not going to mark the album down for that.

The rest of the performances were great, and Lzzy Hale excellent as always.
on 24 July 2014
Now this was purchased as a present, but after hearing the rave reviews I decided to give it a listen. Marks out of 10, well it would have to be 10. Actually, and to be honest, listening to it has sent me to the shops in search of more Dio. Can't be bad now can it!
on 5 April 2014
Ronnie James Dio passed away back in 2010 and ever since his impact has been felt across the heavy metal world and his music continues to inspire thousands all over the world and here, on this album some of those very people who were inspired by Dio pay tribute to the main man himself. This album is a collection of Dio's hits performed by some of the biggest names in Metal today. Metallica, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Scorpions, Slipknot, Tenacious D, Anthrax, Slipknot, Saxon, Steel Panther and more are all represented here.

The standout tracks for me personally are Metallica's Ronnie Rising (A Light in the Black, Tarot Woman, Stargazer AND Kill the King mixed into a 9 minute long epic) which is hands down Metallica's best studio recording in years, Tenacious D's The Last in Line which features real vocal power from Jack Black and an oddly fitting recorder solo, Scorpions' Temple of the King which is easily the most emotional track on the album featuring the best guitar work and finally Halestorm who deliver a pure balls to the wall rocking rendition of Straight Through The Heart. The fact that this album closes out with Dio's own recording of "This is Your Life" makes quite an emotional impact and is certainly the perfect closer for this CD.

However, there are some tracks that don't quite work as well. Motorhead's Startstruck feels quite limp in comparison to the other offerings and similarly Rob Halford's Man on the Silver Mountain, whilst a solid cover, lacks the power you'd expect from the Priest frontman who produced Painkiller and Halford and thus feels like a bit of a letdown. That said, having Dio himself close out the track was a classy move.

All in all, this is an extraodinarily good album with many different takes on some of Dio, Rainbow's and Black Sabbath's best tracks. I am a little disappointed that there's no Heaven and Hell on this album but that just goes to show how great Dio's material really is.Anybody who was a fan of Dio should instantly pick this up, not only is it great music, but it's for a great cause with 100% of the profits going to the Stand Up and Shout charity for Cancer Research. Fans of Dio and metal in general won't regret it.
on 7 November 2014
BLOOD. RED. VINYL. This album is so damn good. Dio was a legend in his own lifetime and the music industry is poorer for his passing. The artists covering the songs on this album are all people who were close to Dio during his life, indeed the gatefold is full of pictures of them in his company at one event or another, and every single performance is STUNNING. Also a share of the profits goes to cancer research. Did I mention BLOOD. RED. VINYL. You should buy this album if you're a Dio fan. You should buy it if you're not. You should buy it. Yea buy it, probably a good idea.
on 31 March 2014
...To any rock fans music library.

We know the tracks, they just sound a bit different - in a good way I hasten to add!

Get it bought, and you'll be doing good if you do as some funds go to the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up and Shout Cancer Fund.
on 31 March 2014
Just back from work and hastily unwrapped the cellophane and put the CD into the player and must admit although I'm only on my first listen - I'm extremely happy to say "It rocks!".

It's also for a very good cause so don't be "The last in line" and miss out, get it today!
on 31 March 2014
What a great album. All RJD classics and not a duff version amongst them. The Metallica medley is a revelation. Fantastic stuff.
on 7 July 2014
Tribute albums tend to be a bit of a mixed bag - the good followed by the bad, the average and the great - in truth, some songs can get absolutely murdered; taken into a dark alley and shot (see the Guns n Roses 'tribute' or the Metallica punk 'tribute'). Happily, this is not the case with this appreciation of the late, great, Ronnie James Dio, the sales of which go to the 'Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund'. This memorial CD shows just how well regarded Dio was in the music industry, I mean, where else could you get Rob Halford, Lemmy Kilmister, Joey Belladonna, James Hetfield or Klaus Meine? Musically, this album is fairly faithful to the original versions which means that the singers - Jack Black, Biff Byford, Cory Taylor, Doro Pesch, Lindsey Hale, Howard Jones et al are left to put their personal stamp on the songs they cover. No one has a voice quite like Ronnie but some of the covers come very close to greatness especially Anthrax on 'Neon Nights' (the best song on the album), Adrenaline Mob on 'The Mob Rules', Halestorm on 'Straight Through The Heart' and the much played 'Holy Diver' by Killswitch Engage. Even Jack Black's version of 'the Last In Line' is fantastic mainly because he drops the silliness for once and faithfully belts out another Dio masterpiece. Things come slightly unstuck with 'Catch The Rainbow' and 'The Man on The Silver Mountain' before the epic 9 minute Metallica medley and the hauntingly beautiful, piano driven ballad, 'This Is Your Life'. My one quibble: why didn't anyone cover 'Evil Eyes' or 'Overlove'?
I remember like it was yesterday when I picked up my first Dio album from the local record shop ... it was missing it's sleeve and was therefore being sold cheap. It was 1987, I was still at school and it was 'The Last In Line'. I've had a soft spot for that album ever since and it's great to hear Jack Black, Doro and Corey Taylor tear through those classics like Ronnie did all those years ago.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 March 2014
Bearing in mind what a great vocalist RJD was, it is extremely brave of the illustrious gathering here to even attempt some of these songs, but when even Tenacious D seem to be taking things seriously (or at least nearly seriously - I'm not sure about the flute solo!) then you know you have something worthy here. Of course the songs are well nigh classics anyway so it would take a special lack of talent to ruin them but it could also just as easily have been karaoke Dio by numbers. I am therefore glad to report that the artists here turn in some great performances, with Anthrax, Adrenaline Mob and Killswitch Engage perhaps rising furthest out of the pack for me. Loathe though I am to say it there is one track that doesn't quite work for me - I'm not sure that Glenn Hughes quite nails Catch the Rainbow - but really everyone gives it their all, displaying sufficient vim and gusto to show that they were treating the project with the respect that it deserves, both for the late great singer but also for the charity this album supports. I should really knock a star off for the daft cover but that would be churlish so all I will say is GET IT!
on 12 April 2014
Saw Halestorm at The Forum, Kentish Town, on 9th April 2014. Their version of Straight Through the Heart was absolutely brilliant live, Lzzy Hale was honoured that she had been asked to record a track for this album. A rock chick doing it for the girls.