Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.43

on 20 July 2013
Unbound Brothers squarely belongs to the space opera subgenre, but it's unlike any space opera I've read. It's darker than Niven and just as mysterious.

Unbound Brothers tells the tale of Alan Abrams, starship pilot, and his quest for redemption that takes him to a partially explored part of the Milky Way. Once there, he and the rest of the crew of the Joshua Peterson are confronted with what it means to be human as they are tested to the limits of their endurance.

The novel could easily be adapted to the wide screen with Dolby sound and 3D effects. Strong confident writing complements equally strong characterizations. Abrams' poignant backstory rounds out the novel's depth.

Even if you are not a fan of space opera - which I'm generally not (preferring hard SF) - there's plenty of nods to hard SF (could have been more!), and there's a generous touch of horror that adds some shivers to the complicated plot.
on 1 July 2013
I was gripped from the start; there is exactly the right amount of tension and intrigue to keep you turning the pages late into the night. I would highly recommend this book.
on 27 November 2013
I've long been an admirer of Rob Rowntree's short fiction and was delighted to get hold of this full length novel.

Unbound Brothers is a complex, but engaging tale set in the future. Alan, the protagonist is a "Blue Space" pilot who is offered a mission to a mysterious destination. There are reasons he does not want to accept and pressing reasons why he should. As the story unfolds we learn more about him and other members of the crew. Events twist and turn, making it hard to predict the outcome and the characters quietly insinuate themselves on your consciousness. It's been a while since I read the book, yet Rowntree's powerful, but delicately drawn descriptions of the sights,sounds and sensations encountered by the protagonist continue to haunt me.

If it was a song I would call it a grower - a great read whose qualities become more and more obvious with time, even long after reading.
on 19 July 2013
After reading the plot description, I decided to give this book a try.
The plot read to me as a none (shields to maximum, blast first and ask questions later kind of novel.) And considering, apparently, this is his first novel, in my experience, first time budding novelist can be a little fraught... By and large this novel did not disappoint, furthermore, Rountree does a really excellent job of building up the characters and their developing relationships. The universe is perfectly described, first rate and believable. I particularly enjoyed his description of Blue-Space (interstellar travel) and the communication through it. This story sweeps you through feelings of guilt and regret to mystery, murder and even alien contact. A few threads were left, so there is room for a second book I think.
on 3 July 2013
I found it tense and a cliff hanger and would definitely recommend a chilling read. Imaginative and exciting. When is the next?
on 30 June 2013
Yes I am related; But to be honest I did not know Rob could do something like this.Not really being a fan of this genre,well any genre to be honest (dont read a lot of books).Rob asked me to give it a go and I was glad I did. This was a great read, fast pased,interesting characters and great plot. I WOULD RECOMEND THIS TO ANYONE!! It has rekindled my interest in books, and I cannot wait for Rob Rowntree to write another great book...
on 9 July 2013
Unbound Brothers is a brilliant page turner. The scenes are so visual - it would make a great movie. I usually read mysteries and found the style of this book crosses the genres. The characters and plot are superbly drawn, a great adventure.
on 7 August 2013
Wouldn't normally read Sci Fi but this was really good. Very believable characters and a very exciting story. Definitely recommend, particularly if like me not usually a Sci Fi reader.