on 25 February 2014
I first became a Johnny Winter fan when I was 17 and at the Bath Festival of Blues & Progressive Music (sounds like R3 LOL) 1970.

I was just about to go to sleep as it was raining and midnight - when I heard this incredible guitar and lion's roar of a voice - so put all clothes back on, left boyfriend and rushed down to the stage again. I think I made it in 2 minutes as he was into his second song but heard the whole of 'Rock & Roll Hoochie Koo" and I was in LOVE. Even Jimi Hendrix himself was supposed to be in the audience that night.

The many live tracks catch this living legend (who is touring this year for his 70th birthday) you feel right back there - in fact they're even better than the studio ones - we are dealing with a genius here.

56 tracks, 4 x CDs and not a single duff track. Bargain!

PS Happy Birthday Johnny!
55 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Sony/BMG have produced an overdue four disc retrospective on Johnny Winter, 'True To The Blues,' released two days after his 70th birthday. I'm giving it five stars because most of the music rates it, but if you're a big fan you probably have most of the contents. The only unreleased material is four cuts recorded live at the Atlanta Pop Festival (overdue for a boxed set and DVD itself). I've listed the sources underneath the respective tracks, and links to certain full albums I feel are his best. When trying to compile an artist with the longevity of Johnny there are bound to be fan favorites missing, personally I would've added "Leland Mississippi Blues," "Drown In My Own Tears" and "Fast Life Rider" instead of two versions each of "Mean Town Blues," "It's My Own Fault" and "Highway 61 Revisited" (even though each is studio & live), but I digress. Except for the first two tracks from his debut album on Liberty (now EMI) the rest of the first three discs and initial six tracks on the fourth are from his long tenure on Columbia Records, with his stops at Alligator, MCA, Pointblank, Friday and Sonobeat getting the short shrift. The only studio album not represented is 'I'm A Bluesman,' which some consider his weakest. The best white bluesman bar non, Johnny Winter's output over the years has had an impressive consistency, so if you've only touched your toe in the water before, it's a great set to get. If you're a big fan (like me) peruse the track list before ordering......

DISC ONE:
1. Bad Luck And Trouble
2. Mean Town Blues
(from 'Progressive Blues Experiment')
3. Mike Bloomfield's Introduction of Johnny Winter - (live at the Fillmore East)
4. It's My Own Fault - (live at the Fillmore East)
(from 'Fillmore East: The Lost Concert Tapes 12-13-68')
5. I'm Yours and I'm Hers
6. Mean Mistreater
7. Dallas
8. Be Careful With A Fool
(from 'Johnny Winter')
9. Leland Mississippi Blues (live at Woodstock)
(from 'Johnny Winter: The Woodstock Experience')
10. Memory Pain
11. Highway 61 Revisited
12. Miss Ann
13. Hustled Down in Texas
14. Black Cat Bone (live at The Royal Albert Hall)
15. Johnny B. Goode (live at The Royal Albert Hall)
(from 'Second Winter-Legacy Edition')
DISC TWO:
1. Eyesight to the Blind
2. Johnny Winter's Intro
3. Prodigal Son
4. Mean Mistreater
(All live at Atlanta Pop - previously unreleased)
5. Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo
6. Guess I'll Go Away
7. On the Limb
(from 'Johnny Winter And')
8. It's My Own Fault (live)
9. Jumpin' Jack Flash (live)
(from 'Johnny Winter And: Live')
10. Good Morning Little School Girl (live at the Fillmore East)
11. Mean Town Blues (live at the Fillmore East)
(from 'Johnny Winter And-Live At The Fillmore East 10-3-70')
DISC THREE:
1. Still Alive and Well
2. Rock Me Baby
3. Rock & Roll
(from 'Still Alive and Well')
4. Rollin' `Cross the Country
5. Hurtin' So Bad
6. Bad Luck Situation
(from 'Saints & Sinners')
7. Self Destructive Blues
8. Sweet Papa John
9. Rock & Roll People
(from 'John Dawson Winter III')
10. Harlem Shuffle - (live with Edgar Winter)
(from 'Together')
11. Bony Moronie (live)
12. Roll With Me (live)
(from 'Captured Live')
13. Tired of Tryin'
14. TV Mama
15. Walkin' Thru the Park
(from 'Nothing But the Blues')
16. I Done Got Over It - (live with Muddy Waters & James Cotton)
(from 'Breakin It Up: Breakin It Down')
DISC FOUR:
1. One Step At A Time
2. Honest I Do
(from 'The Essential Johnny Winter')
3. Nickel Blues
(from 'White, Hot & Blue')
4. Talk Is Cheap
(from 'Winter of 88')
11. Illustrated Man
(from 'Let Me In')
12. Hard Way
(from 'Hey, Where's Your Brother?')
13. Highway 61 Revisited
(from 'The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration' DVD version)
on 1 April 2014
4cds nice boxset ,some good tracks and a fair price but could have been better.playing time is about 1hr each cd when any of the live bootleg series is about 70 mins and one mistake the live version of its my own fault from live at the fillmore is the short version of 10 mins and not the full version of 22 mins!
on 17 April 2014
Didn't own any if his music on vinyl or cd until I bought Illustrated Man about 20 years ago. Since then,bought just about everything the man ever recorded. Then about 4 years ago,was lucky enough to go with my partner to see him live for the first time. Johnny was almost blind,had to be led onstage,sat down the whole set,and his voice was croaky,and barely audible at times. But,OMG,that guitar playing ! Totally superb,and effort less. I'm sure he wasn't,but he seemed almost bored at times that it was so easy to play a guitar like that. And this box set. Yes, I have 95% of the stuff on here,but it's still great to have another copy if it all in a different cd format. Brilliant
on 11 April 2014
O M G......... why hadn't I bought his albums or CDs before. I am now begining a collection of his music. This album took me back to when I used to watch the Trevor Burton Band, live, way back when, in Birmingham. Can understand now how all the blues guitarists follow Johnny Winter and learn from him. I have been told, by a very well known guitar designer to here in Devon, that Johnny is now in a wheelchair. I hope he can still play. So sad. Bez.x
on 25 February 2014
As a life summary this is one of the best. As a music source it is like all Johnny Winter albums, a great experience. My only regret is not having seen him live, yet (I say with scant optimism, living where he never visits.)
on 18 June 2016
Excellent.
on 14 September 2014
This album has everything great about johnny winter for rock and blues fans everywhere.
on 20 June 2016