VINE VOICEon 24 October 2014
A few years ago watching The Web Of Fear was only a Doctor Who fans dream. However this story has now been found (appart from Episode 3) and quickly released on dvd. There are no special features or commentary track but what you get is one of the best Doctor Who stories ever. The Web Of fear sees Patrick Troughton's Doctor battling the Yeti and The Great Intelligence, who previously appeared in The Abominable Snowmen. The Web Of Fear also see the first appearance of Colonel Lethbridge Stewart (late to be promoted to Brigadier) played by the late (and much missed) Nick Courtney. The picture and sound quality is excellent and Episode 3 has been reconstructed using photos and the original soundtrack of the episode. So if you enjoy classic Doctor Who then The Web Of Fear is well worth watching.
on 17 March 2016
Yay it's the Yeti! Not many of Patrick Troughton's series remain and I had thought that the Abomnible Snowman monster had been wiped out for good but it has survived in the Web of Fear. One episode is partly only audio with static pictures but that doesn't effect the story at all. These are the days of intriguing adventures with a Doctor who does not have all the answers until, like a detective with infinite wisdom, he discovers the alien truth. Brilliant!
on 15 February 2015
Well, for me, Dr Who was always too scary for me to watch when I was young (4-5 years old). But I always remember watching one episode at my cousin's house, where it was set in some underground. Tunnels that filled up with some foam at the end.

So, here we are some 45 years later with the first chance to revisit this once again. And does it stand up? Absolutely!

The story is creepy (as lots of the 60s stories were) and well told, with good use made of the London Underground. The supporting cast have defined characters that are believe able. And let's not forget it contains the fist appearance of Alastair Lethbridge-Stewart. What I really liked was that you don't know anything about him and he could've been one of the bad guys; the story kept you guessing.

Whilst there are no extras and no doubt there will be a special edition version sometime, this is still worth buying as is. Enjoy.
on 25 September 2017
10/10; classic who;bizarre monsters,a claustrophobic base under siege & the first appearance of lethbridge stewart.
leagues ahead of the sniggering, pc drivel which currently claims to be Dr who.
Here we have believable characters in a strange & dangerous situation;lots of atmosphere & a first rate cast of ACTORS not SOAP STARS.
50 years on the BBC can't seem to make good family fear anymore;but at least these classics remain.
on 31 March 2016
I love this. For me it was an iconic story, probably as when I was kid I read the book on a coach and just as I came to a part about a silver orb crashing through a window, the coach I was on crashed into the one next to it and the window next to me smashed covering me in glass. So I will never forget this one. There are good actors and well performed. Excellent, and one of the few remastered Troughton stories. BBC should be ashamed for having so few of Troughtons era
on 13 April 2014
Like most people I was keen to finally get to watch this. I've read the book and that tells a jolly exciting story. I've heard the audio recording and enjoyed it too. Funny then that I never noticed listening to the audio how much padding there is. But this is obvious when you watch the show. Perhaps the audio narration propped the duller scenes up? So, not as good as I'd hoped but still up there as one of the best Troughton stories.

The recreation of the tube is amazing. Really well done in such a small space and on a small budget. When the story is progressing I want to know what will happen next and everyone is a believable suspect as the Intelligence's mole. I did feel the 'revelation' scene was poorly handled. Rather than the mole walking into shot (audience gasp), they were unclearly seen and revealed by one of the characters saying their name. It lacked the impact it should have had.

All in all well worth seeing and seeing more than once, particularly for Troughton fans. I am pleased, just not quite as pleased as I would like!!
on 30 August 2016
As for Enemy of the World, I am happy to see these previously missing but now recovered episodes. I don't like the lack of bonus features and the fact that the still missing episode wasn't recreated in animation... it was only one episode! I give 4 stars, can't give 5. Anyway beautiful story and the first appearance of Lethbridge-Stewart. Also the minor characters are very interesting and the whole atmosphere is amazing.
VINE VOICEon 11 August 2014
At last, a fairly complete Yeti adventure with the second doctor. One episode is made up of a number of stills with the original soundtrack, but the other five episodes are complete and ä joy to watch. This is also one of the few early Who's that I can really see why I was scared as a child! This has kept well (dramatically).
Your collection needs this.
on 9 June 2015
As a formerly lost story (and being too young to have seen it when first aired) I had heard of the popularity of the Web of Fear as a classic story of legend. I must admit it was far better than the later Troughton stories and really lives up to the mythos that had surrounded it. A must-have.
on 21 August 2017
An outstanding story. The first episode was a classic and perhaps is still the best episode ironically, given it was the only episode not missing from the BBC archives. The Bartok used in the episode (as well as "Enemy") adds an extra menace in the scene.

Not the best 1960s serial, but close to it.