on 27 July 2015
great characters, slippery plot line without being obtuse. looking forward to No5
on 31 October 2014
Not as good as the first book . to much gratuitous sex.
on 9 February 2014
Sometimes, the second book in a series can be a bit of a let down. I was worried. I shouldn't have been. It easily holds its own against Called. Starting reasonably slowly, but ultimately rushing to a finale that leaves more questions than answers, this is, once again, a thoroughly enjoyable book from this writer.

However, before release, readers were warned that this one would be darker than the previous one, more disturbing. He was right. Gideon's character made me want to take my brain out and scrub it clean before reinserting into my head.

Bring on #3!
on 24 April 2017
Read straight through the first two Nd am going straight into the next in the series and I doubt I will end this session before I have read the lot
This is the second in the Called: Southern Watch #1 series, a whole new ball game for high fantasy and urban fantasy author Crane.

It is darker, more risqué and offers scenarios that can push the boundaries. It just depends on what those boundaries are for each reader.

On a side note Crane seems to have it going on in the whole erotic scene creation. He has got the soul-eating, sorry soul-sucking by Gideon down to a fine art. Demon ejaculation 101 that's all I'm saying.

However that also seems to be whole point of his existence and thereby is his storyline, which means his scenes ultimately always end in self-gratification. Gideon isn't just your standard garden variety demon. He happens to be a the serial killing, rapist type of demon with sadistic tendencies.

Plays on Shakespeare's Shylock not withstanding, in this second book the characters are well-developed and the series is beginning to show a lot of potential.

I liked the way the demon hunting team led by fellow demons Lerner and Duncan gave Hendricks a wee lesson in good guy/bad guy criteria. The scenes with that particular trio were quite witty. I can actually see Lerner, Duncan and Hendricks being a great spin-off series.The triumvirate of demon hunters with a penchant for philosophical debates, discussions on the validity of religion, faith in conjunction with the religious theme of hell and relationship advice of the self-help guru kind.

Then there is the unknown factor called Starling. Dibs on her being some sort of demon of the ancient variety, perhaps something like The Source.
Seems as if something wicked this way comes is the theme for the third book. Not sure if the greater worry is Starling or the complete surprise reveal at the end of the book.

I received a copy of this book courtesy of the author.
on 15 August 2016
What can I say about this author, he is wonderful.
Look for the other series Girl in the box, Girl out of the box, also the Sanctuary series, all are excellent but be prepared to not get much else done as they are very hard to put down. Thrilling from start to the last book I don't know how he does it.
As others have said this book has the demon Gideon who get his thrills and pleasures himself I don't want to give away too much here.
Some parts are horrific and gory so be prepared.
This book is not for everyone but as with all psychopaths its the horrific things they do that shock us and we want them to come to sticky end.
This book should have a warning in the front saying not for the faint hearted but for me the storyline is more important and if sex is thrown in as a storyline as it is here its not a problem some books I have read have been all sex and no story at least you get a decent story with Robert's books.
on 24 September 2014
Having read all available girl in the box books I move onto Southern Watch and have to admit literally flew through them whilst on a couple of days annual leave. Really good and fast paced reading although I'm not sure the author needs to go into graphic sex scenes as that's been played out too much since shades of grey. Non the less thoroughly enjoyed reading but can't find the third book :-/ so left a little lost now as what to read next
on 26 November 2014
Once again, I have read from start to finish ,an excellent story from a gifted writer ,it's action all the way with a bit of sex thrown in for good measure. I would like to thank Mr Crane for keeping me entertained for a couple of hours and recommend his work to everyone. (My wife says thanks also for keeping me quiet ) regards Jim
on 5 February 2015
I have found the southern watch series to be a very good read. It can get a bit dark and the baddie is particulalry unpleasant taking self gratification to new depths. The one potentail problem with this series of books is that I have found myself going to bed later and later to read one more chapter.
on 2 June 2014
It's original storyline had me hooked in book one and in book two I found myself so involved again.
Slightly darker this time but fabulously entertaining nonetheless. A clever twisting tale that will hold you captive till the last page . Now if only I can wait for book 3.....