on 18 June 2014
I have rarely bought such a cracking selection of stories by good authors in one volume. As with all collections there are some that do not quite float the boat, but even they are good and the rest are brilliant. A must buy.
on 30 March 2014
Good value and a good choice of stories from some good writers. Well worth the money paid and would recomend.
on 31 October 2014
There is always a difficulty with reviewing boxed sets of different authors without using phrases like 'curate's egg' and 'mixed bag'. The problem arises in that not only do the books vary in quality, one expects that, some are also not quite books, in that at least one appears unfinished or at least a taster whilst most of the others are book 1 of n. It would have been nicer and more honest of the publisher to have stated this from the off. The blurb calls them 7 'novels' or 'titles' but at least two are short stories/first or extended chapters and only two really qualify as actual novels in that they end at a point where the story can be left or continued, rather than been incomplete.

That said they are not bad, even 'Earthfall' - the only one I couldn't finish, wasn't that bad really; just don't expect too much.

Individually:

Slow Burn: Zero Day, Book 1 : 3 stars
Quite a good start to a series, if short. Decently written and well characterised.

The Retreat #1: Pandemic: 3 stars
A bit filmatic but otherwise quite a good romp with action a plenty and a nice twist on the Zombie genre.

Diary of the Displaced - Book 1 - The Journal of James Halldon : 5 stars
A well written and original story with a likeable main character, a good logical plot and some great imagery. Definitely worth a read and following up on.

Earthfall : 2 stars
Not dreadful but not a particularly well written story. Sometimes with books the author will signpost what is about to happen and when it does it is almost a whoop of joy. With this one its more of a 'really? You went there?' Written as if it were destined for TV with a dumb plot, stock characters (a badass, cigar chomping 'Sarn't Majer', a husband and wife team -what will happen to them I wonder). Imagine a script for a SyFy Channel film that got rejected. I just couldn't finish it but only because when the baddies appeared they were daft.

Contamination Prequel : 3 stars
Affliction Z: Patient Zero : 3 stars
Reversion: The Inevitable Horror (The Portal Arcane Series - Book I): 3 stars
I read these books about 2 weeks ago and cannot remember a thing about them except one, I think, was very short. That doesn't make them bad and I enjoyed them at the time. Just not memorable stories.

Only one of these stories (Diary of the Displaced) made me want to read further but that doesn't mean the rest are not worth reading and given the price it would be churlish to complain too much.

All in all then this collection really is a mixed bag of curate's eggs.
on 26 April 2014
Some of the stories were a bit boring could only read so far just couldn't get into them. Found slow burn very really good and had to buy the follow up books
on 29 April 2014
Some really good original stuff here.

Slow burn in particular was fun.

Contagion was okay

earthfall was good.

Reversion was just downright weird
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I bought this the other day and I've had to stop reading cause my head is spinning from all the wonderful stories. These authors are all singularly great! Get them together in a box set and it's beyond fantastic!!
on 5 May 2014
This box set was an amazing price and has opened up a host of new authors and series for me to get stuck into.
Although a couple of the books were a little slow, I read all the way thru and was glad I did.
Would recommend to people as good stories and great value for money
on 4 July 2014
Great value but good idea to have the odd break and read something a little light hearted occasionally as you could get a bit paranoid by the end. As expected it was all about the zombies.
on 9 June 2014
Loved the first book
But when I read the second I couldn't get into it and with no contents list for easy navigation I had to flip through pages till I got the next story would have rated higher if I could have gone straight to stories.
on 22 August 2014
Just started to read this set of books and already I can't put it down. This Post Apocalyptic set is better than the norm that you get and involves the forces getting trashed, it shows cities getting wiped out as the 'clowns' or 'crazies' begin to take over and eat humans or make them into one of them. I have ordered sets 2 and 3 to make sure I don't miss out