Customer reviews

on 12 January 2015
GOOD
on 3 August 2017
An enjoyable book this is the first book by this author that I have read am about to start on the next book in the series keep up the good work
on 9 August 2014
I thought this might be an interesting story & was not disappointed. I am quite a fan of historical fiction especially Roman in the 1st cent BC & 1st/2nd AD & so this book which is set in the very early period of the Roman republic made an interesting change. It is very easy to forget that at one time Rome was only one of a number of warring tribes in the Italian peninsula& was not yet the mighty empire which followed centuries later. The main characters were quite well drawn & the very explicit battle descriptions very good indeed. They showed how the various armies at that period were still very much influenced by the ancient Greek style of fighting with long spears & phalanxes, which were formidable but as shown in this story could be defeated by using different tactics. This was the start of the establishment of the invincible Roman army as it is portrayed in books of the later eras. I found this very interesting & look forward to subsequent books in the series. However, one small complaint is that I do hope the author resists the temptation of using very obvious 20th cent. slang - I somehow think that early Roman soldiers were unlikely to have used such words as "blimey", or even their Latin translation assuming that such actually exists. I do accept that modern english has to be used but somehow modern slang seems to jar. Keep up the good work though.
on 9 March 2014
Although I am more comfortable reading roman era books from Julius Caesar onwards, this first foray into the roman period close to the overthrow of the Kings was amazing. This adds to the books about the roman army in later years and although maybe not historically as accurate as a lot of other writers, does not detract in any way from what is a very good read from a very good writer. This is my first review despite owning pretty much most of the roman historical fiction on kindle, and thought that this. Deserved a write up, can't wait for the remainder of the series!!!
on 14 March 2014
For people who think that Rome started with Ceasar then you must read this book. It brings an exciting view of many, many years before when Rome had just become a Republic. It is about a man who possibly was the greatest Roman of them all.
Please read, as you will not be disappointed.
on 31 March 2015
If you enjoyed conn igguldens emperor series then this is the book for you
A fantastic read and on a fascinating yet less well known important figure in Early Roman history
The book is a great example of self_publication
Although there are some minor spelling/editorial mistakes. These mistakes are few and far between and the great storyline and narrative more than make up for this
on 15 May 2014
One of the best Roman novels I have read,and I have read quite a few. Incredible battle scenes.well done more please..
on 24 May 2014
I was trolling through the historical fiction section of kindle when I spotted this book and downloaded it, glad I did. I read it in one session, couldn't put it down, the introduction of the gladius and the Eagles was clever and quite stirring, don't know how factual, but I enjoyed it. Can't wait for book 2.
on 29 November 2014
It's a good read and obviously well researched with the author clearly having a passion for this period of history. However, for me the characters were never fully defined so they were a bit 'blurry' in my mind as I read. That was not too bad and I did go onto read the other two books currently in the series so it can't have been, can it? The one thing that I hope he addresses is the 'flip flopping' between political activity in Rome and with our 'hero'. You find yourself in the middle of a battle, turn the page and you get 'meanwhile in Rome' moment and then back you go again and the battle's conveniently over. It's a bit like going to the toilet in the middle of a film - you feel you've missed bits and lost the flow (no pun intended). Hence the 4 stars - I'd give it 3½ but that's not an option but it's better than a 3!
on 24 March 2014
Enjoyed this book and it's a different slant on the normal Roman saga being somewhat at the start of Rome as a power. Might even have given it a 5 star if it wasn't for the woeful proof reading.
Look forward to book 2