Platform: PlayStation 3|Edition: Special Edition|Change
Price:£6.76 - £57.02

on 18 March 2014
While I've always been a bigger fan of the 2D Castlevanias, I really enjoyed Lords of Shadow's take on the series' lore with beautiful 3D visuals and solid 3D combat. It was one of the best games I played that year, and it's only my internal conflict with it's effect on the future of the Castlevania series that worried me a little. Nonetheless, I was hugely looking forward to the sequel, especially being able to play as Dracula himself for the first time in a story-driven title. After having played the demo at the Eurogamer expo, I was impressed at what I had seen, and I felt assured that it would be a great game.

However, upon beating the game I am left feeling somewhat disappointed. While the game looks and plays well, the combat mechanics mostly feel recycled from the original game, albeit with visual changes. Many of the combos remain the same, and while Gabriel now has a couple of different weapons that he uses in place of the originals' Light and Dark magic, they don't open up many new combat options (such as seen in Devil May Cry), and I preferred the original game's selection of attacks in the few instances that the two games differ.

Similarly, I felt that Gabriel's platforming changes were for the worse, too. While his improved climbing skills allow him to scale walls with his bare hands, it feels a lot more automated than the satisfying wall-scaling mechanics of the first game that utilized the Combat Cross. The beast-riding mechanics are absent, replaced with other mechanics such as being able to turn into a swarm of rats, which also feel more of a gimmick and less solid than in the original.

The worst new addition is that of stealth segments - these involve having to avoid being seen by invincible opponents that can kill you in one hit. While I'm a fan of stealth, they are more of an irritation than fun, and feel poorly executed. Sadly, things like this only help to make you feel less like the legendary Dracula, more just a regular vampire. We do get a short snippet of him at his full power in the game's intro, but the series seems to have skipped over his legacy, being set a short while in the future. Gabriel is still awesome, but he just doesn't feel like the core villain (or antihero?) that stands at the center of the Castlevania universe.

The game has a non-linear progression style, but while it looks good and works fine, it doesn't feel all that open and if anything just feels somewhat disjointed, lacking the feel of an epic journey that the original had - especially as you regularly swap between modern-day settings and ones similar to those of the first game.

Story wise, it's okay. Not the epic conclusion to the Lords of Shadow saga that I hoped for, and a lot of the key characters have less screen time than I would have liked, while sometimes the less interesting parts drag on longer than necessary. Many of the bosses seem unimportant, with little backstory or fleshing out, and the 'Shadow of the Colossus' style battles from the original are all but missing, save for the tutorial segment.

While it may sound like I'm describing a terrible game, it's not. The combat, beautiful visuals and core mechanics from the original are present, but it really feels like a step back in terms of storytelling and execution. It has some really good moments, including a few particularly fun bosses and story twists, but sadly just as many tedious parts.

It seems that there were problems within the studio developing the game (according to various bits I've read online), and it shows in the final product. The game lacks cohesion, and while it's impressive, it's really not the sequel I hoped for.

The collector's edition is nice, however. The box is solid with nice presentation, and the art book is nice. A little disappointed that the art book lacks the fantastic character art seen in their in-game profile pages, but that's just my personal taste.
on 18 February 2015
Lords of Shadow 2 is an incredible follow-up to Lords of Shadow and Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate, taking place in modern day where the former vampire hunter Gabriel Belmont is now know as Dracul, the son of the dragon and must fight his way through the hordes of Satan's minions and worshipers and avoid the evil demon's resurrection. The gameplay is reminiscing of the first game, with some new elements and some backtracking like good old 2D Castlevania games such as Symphony of the Night. Music and graphics are awesome and the story is quite entertaining with some plot twists and revelations, making this new trilogy worthwhile. As for this particular edition, it comes in a quite sturdy box, with detailed artwork and lore, as well as a brilliant hardcase artbook filled with lovely illustrations. If you're a fan of the series and liked the original reboot, you'll be very satisfied with this game regardless of what reviews say.
on 10 April 2015
I'm not going to review the game itself, as this is a retailer website, therefore I intend to review the product itself. This set is very well presented, and the huge artwork book will appeal to any fan of Castlevania! The box is quite sturdy and has some heft to it, and folds out nicely to reveal the contents. The book is very detailed, and a must-have for any Castlevania fan! The price at the moment is exceptionally good value for money (I paid £20), and this edition is only eclipsed by the far superior Dracula's Tomb Edition. As nice as it is, I would not have paid full RRP for this edition, but at £20 it was a no-brainer, even though I already own the Dracula's Tomb Edition and SteelBook version. I liked it so much I even bought the Xbox 360 version for the same price!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 March 2014
This special edition is really nice!
in my opinion it's even better if you compare it to the tomb ed.
It's cheaper and the box is really beautifull.
Unfortunately the game was a huge step back.
Maybe my expectations were too high but after a playthrough of 15 hours the only thing that I can say is why!?
Lords of Shadow 1 was better in every single aspect.
Better storyline, better enemies. what a shame mercury steam
on 15 July 2014
Awesome game.

Not totally linear with the original Castlevania's and those of you that have been with the series like me for a while may find it's taken a bit of a God of War approach.

But this is minimal and the game play is top notch quality.

The game itself looks outstanding and I only wish their was a PS4 release. The main story is really good. as it gives you a lot of background information which is done really smoothly and really well.

Some of the stealth missions I guess I could call them you have to take the form of a rat and sneak about to unlock things and sneak past these large guards. While short and easy. I'd rather they'd been left out of the game permanently. As they only broke the pace of the game up for me.

Other than that, expect amazing visuals, intense fights, a very dark game (gruesome) which we all love, amazing storyline and some really bad ass boss fights. For those that haven't played the LoS series before YOU MUST play LoS1 first as this one will melt your mind otherwise.

Game: 9/10
Visuals: 10/10
Gameplay: 10/10
Story: 10/10

Verdict 9.9/10 ? XD
on 2 April 2015
The package arrived on the exact day it told me it would arrive, brand new and in a perfect condition. Everything was inside so if your a fan or a collector and you like Castlevania Lords of Shadows you should consider buying this.
on 30 December 2014
oh wow didn't expect to open the box and the sides to be adorned in artwork also, this really takes me back to PS1 and further...this game is a must for those who have played the other's or those wishing to try something different. I am just starting to play it and the voices are amazing. I really wish however, they would make another legacy of kain...it's great but you can’t beat simons voice as kain.
the artwork book is a gem I opened it infront of my brother and he said simply "oh, wow look at that!"
on 12 September 2014
Very heavy. Didn't fit through my letterbox but rested nicely on my wheelie bin and prevented it's theft by local youths.
The game is also very good, I especially enjoy the part where I play it.
on 10 June 2015
Love it, was a nice price. And item was better than expected.
on 4 June 2015
I enjoy all Castlevania games and this is no exception.