Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

1,065
Colour: Black|Change

TOP 50 REVIEWERon 28 February 2014
This has been in the pipeline for a while now with PS4 gamers especially wanting a wireless stereo headset to complete the experience, although it's worth pointing out that this particular headset will also work with the PS3, Vita and PC. Please note that the 7.1 surround sound only works with the PS3 and PS4! Also note that it only works wirelessly with the PS3 and PS4 so if using with the Vita or mobile device you will need to operate it via a cable.

The headset comes well packaged and has a decent weighty feel to it, before I talk about the actual headset I first want to mention what you get in the box. Besides the actual headset you get the dongle part that acts as a receiver and plugs directly into a spare USB port on the device you are using it with. You get a very short Micro USB charging cable to charge the headset with; you also get a headphone jack cable for use with tablets and other such devices, a travel pouch and warranty documentation. Again before I talk about the actual headset I must be honest and say I was shocked at the size of the wireless dongle, it's not exactly small and compact and indeed sticks out from the console. The one question I would ask is why does the headset use wireless technology and not Bluetooth since the console has that capability built in?

On to the headset itself. It features a standard wrap around design which is well padded and each side can be extended up and down the arm so you can easily get comfy and everyone from people with larger heads to those that have smaller heads should be well catered for, the headset itself can be folded to save space during travelling but also the earphone part is better protected. For those wondering where the microphone arm is let me please you by saying the microphone itself is built in and does not stick out and I can confirm that even if you speak slightly on the quiet side your voice will be picked up, to quote my friend my voice was "spot on"!

This headset is noise cancelling not only in isolating exterior noise but also reducing the amount of background noise the microphone picks up and I can confirm it does a really good job of that, so much so I got told off by my other half for not listening to her, she was in the next room shouting for me but genuinely I couldn't hear her. Not that my excuse got me very far! The ear cups themselves are very comfy over long gaming sessions and don't apply any uneven pressure!

Audio quality in Chat and game audio is fantastic. Surround sound is stellar!!! No really it's fantastic and 7.1 really does impress. So much so it puts the turtle beach pair I had a few years ago to shame. Let me put it this way, you never get bored of hearing footsteps behind you and bullets flying past your head and indeed I would say it takes the gaming experience to another level. Controls wise you have volume buttons, mute and a rocker to choose between game and party sound (so you find the right balance between your friends talking and audio from the game) and a mode button.

Now battery life has been suggested at around 8 hours, I'm managing to get around six and a half hours, admittedly I was talking to friends as well as using it for surround sound at the same time so on the whole I can't complain although I will be investing in a longer cable so I can continue to use them and charge it at the same time as the cable supplied is a joke!

Other things worth noting are that the side plates are removable so you will be able to snap on different colours and designs I'm guessing at some point in the future for those that want to customize the headset to their individual tastes! There is also a companion app so you can download pre-set profiles for specific games making the experience even better and there is also a status display of the headset on screen so you can keep an eye on the battery level at all times.

Pros: Feels sturdy like it will last * very comfy * excellent stereo audio quality with 7.1 surround sound with compatible games * Compatible with PS3 and the Vita * good quality microphone that is built in * MUTE button * battery life seems pretty good * Works with PC * EXCELLENT value considering what you get!

Cons: Uses Wireless and not Bluetooth which seems stupid considering the PS4 has a Bluetooth receiver built in* If they had used Bluetooth and not wireless the battery life would be even longer * the wireless dongle takes up an additional USB slot and seems like an afterthought rather than a neat and compact device * charging cable is pathetically short

VERDICT: For the price you are probably getting the best value wireless headset on the market and when you factor in the quality you won't be disappointed. Don't get me wrong there are a few things that indicate that they cut corners like the fact it uses wireless and not Bluetooth and the dongle itself could have been smaller. All the small things aside I love this headset and the fact there are no wires is a big bonus especially with pets running around the house and indeed the other half not watching what's on the floor so I couldn't be happier and like I said earlier the price and quality is right!

RECOMMENDED!

UPDATE 16th December 2014: Headset is still working and very much still recommend it, battery life is holding strong at around 6 hours!
5555 comments| 421 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
♦ Brief ♦

I've been through all the past official wireless headsets that have come out (7.1 Stereo Wireless Headset &Pulses) and have always been impressed, so when this one was announced I was more than eager to get my hands on them.

With the previous models, the Pulses were the "successor" to the 7.1 Stereo Wireless Headset, however with this newer version (also known as the 'Gold Headset' in the US), I'm rather unsure whether these are a successor to the Pulses... They both have certain features which are better than each other.

That said, these are undoubtedly very high quality in both sound and comfort.

♦ What's in the box? ♦

7.1 Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 | USB Dongle* | Micro USB Cable** | Stereo Cable*** | Carry Case | Manual/Documents.

* This is vital to connect your PS3/PS4 via a wireless connection, do not lose this as you can't buy these separately.

** Unlike the Pulses, these actually come with a charging cable, HOORAH! Except the cable is rather short.

*** This cable is used to connect the headset to a Vita or a Dualshock 4 controller; using it this way will mean you don't need to turn the headset on, nor does the headset has to have any charge.

♦ Set-Up & Using ♦

As I'm sure you're aware of, this headset works with the PS4, PS3 & PS Vita, whichever console you're planning on connecting this headset to, the set-up is very simple and easy to do, just follow one of the steps below.

- PlayStation 4 -

Wireless Set-Up:

1) Insert USB dongle into the PS4.
2) Turn the headset on.
3) Select the user profile you want to link the headset to (asks every time you turn them on).

If you have two of these headsets, you can actually use them both at the same time using two different user profiles, this means you can even both participate in the same party chat.

Wired Set-Up:

1) Plug the stereo cable into the headset.
2) Insert the other end of the cable into the Dualshock 4 controller.

Whichever set-up you go for, if no game sound is going to the headset, follow these steps:
Settings > Sound and Screen > Audio Output Settings > Output to Headphones > All audio.

Alternatively, hold the PS button down and go to "Adjust Devices", you can also tweak the settings there.

- PlayStation 3 -

Wireless Set-Up:

1) Insert USB dongle into the PS3.
2) Turn the headset on.

The PS3 should configure everything automatically.

- PlayStation Vita -

Wired Set-Up:

1) Plug the stereo cable into the headset.
2) Insert the other end of the cable into the Vita.

♦ Headset Functions ♦

There are many functions on the headset itself, most of which are only usable when wirelessly connected.

- Pre-Set Sound Mode -

When turning on the headset, if you skip over to '2' rather than '1', you can select to use a special pre-set sound mode which enhances the sound to that specific genre, such as "shooter" or "music" etc...

Though you will need to set it up by firstly downloading the 'Headset Companion App', then connect the headset to your PS3/PS4 and upload a sound profile to it through the app.

- Sound/Chat -

This allows you to adjust the ratio of chat to in-game audio; you can have it balanced, or more swayed to one or the other.

- Volume -

Will adjust the overall volume.

- VSS (Virtual Surround Sound) -

Hold this button down to disable/enable, with VSS enabled, you will get the 7.1 VSS.

- Mute -

This will mute/unmute the microphone.

♦ Comfort & Sound Quality ♦

This headset is extremely comfortable overall, both the headband and earpads are super soft which make these very comfortable over longer periods of time.

Sound quality is great, especially when using the specific sound profiles available on the headset companion app. I've used the shooter profile on games such as Battlefield 4 & Resogun and am pleased with the results; great sense of direction with clear and crisp sound.

I've had to ask others for their opinion of my mic quality as I can't hear it myself, and everyone I've asked has said they can hear me very clearly, which is good as the microphone is completely hidden.

There is one downside to this and the other previous models which didn't used to bother me, but has been recently, and that has to do with there being no playback when talking on the microphone. Due to the over-ear design, you can't really hear yourself when talking, so as the volume gets louder, you'll find yourself talking more loudly.

I hope they can implement an update sometime in the future that will sort this issue out...

♦ Gold Headset -VS- Pulse Headset ♦

- Gold Headset -

+ Foldable design making it easier to store.
+ Slightly more comfortable than the Pulses, probably due to it being more lightweight as well as extra width of headband.
+ Sound has been improved a bit from the Pulses.
+ Longer battery life (up from 6 hours to 8).
+ Cheaper in cost (I paid £75 on first release which is £20-£30 cheaper than the Pulses).

- Pulse Headset -

+ Slider controls rather than buttons.
+ Bass impact (was a love or hate feature).
+ Multiple sound profiles available to select through at once.
+ Has an aux port on the dongle for additional wireless usage with certain devices.

Both are great headsets to which both also have their ups and downs compared to each other, however I seem to be using the Golds more.

♦ Overall Opinion ♦

This is a pretty solid headset that's available for a premium price, though I honestly believe it's money well spent... They're comfortable which means I can wear them for long gaming sessions, and with its crisp sound & VSS feature, it makes me feel more immersed with the gameplay.

I've been using these for almost two weeks now and couldn't recommend them enough.

.·:*¨*:·.·:*¨*:·.

EDIT - DECEMBER 2014: I've owned these for about half a year now and still don't regret purchasing these. A great buy!
1414 comments| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 October 2015
I read a lot of the reviews on here and for a casual gamer like me, forking out £70-£80 on a set of headphones seemed pretty steep. But the fact these were wireless, had an in-built mic and had surround sound persuaded me otherwise, looked cool - combine all that with the positive reviews, sometimes you get what you pay for, so I went for it.

I'm pleased to say I've not regretted this purchase at all. When I first put these on and resumed playing Evolve, the game was suddenly so much more immersive and it's made me fall back in love with the game. It truly makes you feel like you are there and a part of the action. The sound quality is brilliant. I also like how with the wireless function I can kick back and watch the TV in bed with these, watching the Rugby/Football without disturbing those I live with. I've also done a 12-hour non-stop gaming stint on these after a full charge, the longevity is great. The mic quality is fine (when in a party with others - not so good outside of party - but meh). It's also helped me play better - the surround sound is great in pinpointing where you hear sound (which for example, on evolve is important when trying to track the monster, it's been also when playing FPS). Totally recommend, it's got a ton of positive reviews for a reason - the price is justified by the quality. Not everybody who buys these are absolutely minted ;)
33 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 November 2016
I got a pair of £25 headphones at GAME previously and they were great at first, but within 2 months the mic stopped working and had to be held in an exact position so it would stay connected, meaning i could barely move my head and everyone could hear me breathing. Not nice!

No issues with this however, as the mic is built into the headset. It's also a lot clearer to my friends so the mic is good quality.

The box it came in was huge! It turned up at my door and I had no idea what it was and when I opened it, I was very surprised! There is really no need for it other than I assume protecting the headphones, so I guess that works?!

Connection is instantaneous. Plug in the dongle, turn on the headset and just like that, you're sorted. A nice touch was that it also instantly connected with my Sony TV (4K, 42"). Not sure if this will work on older models but it was surprising and pleasing that it connected that easily.

The headset itself is very comfortable, with good padding all over. I would note that it is large, both the headset band width and overall size, but this doesn't bother me. In addition, the buttons on the side are easy to locate without taking the headset off, which makes quick muting simple.

The sound quality is very good, which for the price is to be expected. However, I have had the case in the past where console branded accessories are not up to the standard you would expect, especially for the price, however I can honestly say that these are very good quality headphones.

Battery life is surprisingly good. I have had these two weeks and charged them once in that time, which with the 'Rest Mode' function makes things very simple. You could also plug them into a USB adapter and wall charge if you wanted to.

I know the price is very steep in comparison to others on the market (I paid £49 on sale, down from £59), but looking at the reviews most cheaper alternatives seem to have a very short lifespan. These look very solid and I can see no reason why these would last any less than 5 years.

Overall it's a very solid 9/10.

Just as a quick heads up, for anyone looking at this headset because their wireless one will not connect (as happened with mine), be aware that you can purchase a dongle to connect to your PS4 which should connect all wireless headsets. For me this seemed a little risky as they start at around £40 (which would be a very costly waste of money if it doesn't work!) but it could be a good alternative if you have a really pricey headset.
on 8 November 2015
These are brilliant for the price. They fit comfortably, better than expected and sound great.

On top of this you can download the companion app on the PlayStation store and default audio settings for games to sound at their best are right there!

Wireless but also provided is a wired audio cable so you can use on the go with PSP or I would assume anything with a standard jack like your iPhone or similar.

Overall extremely pleased with this purchase

Bonus to also get a pouch for storage and transport of the headset.

Well done Sony 👍
review image
on 1 September 2014
I purchased these headphones for two main reasons; I'm a firm believer that good sound makes a game, and the other half was complaining I had the TV too loud!

First impressions out of the box are good, the headphones are good quality and easily adjustable to fit pretty much any head size. Like pretty much any wireless device these days it needs a charge for a few hours before use to top up the battery. I also highly recommend that PS4 users download the free headphone app from the PS store (it works fine without, this just provides some extra modes for specific games so well worth it).

Overall I am extremely impressed with the sound quality, especially with the 'virtual' 7.1 surround sound enabled, this adding a real extra dimension to the gaming experience. The integrated microphone also works extremely well, with both multiplayer chat and PS voice control working well through it. Any gripes? Well, the charge cable is pathetically short but not much else to be honest, I tend to use my Samsung phone charger to charge my PS peripherals anyway. The USB dongle is a bit big too, but not really an issue for me. I've also tried the headphones on PS3 and PC (PC using the included adaptor through the headphone jack as normal) and found it to be a very competent performer, although you don't get the 7.1 sound through PC.

So, well made, comfortable, great sound quality and the other half is happy, highly recommended
on 12 November 2016
They are awesome. Very comfortable to wear for long periods of time. The sound is beautiful, but sometimes lacks a little substance when you have a big explosion happening on screen. So the base is a little lacking in that department. But don't let that put you off. Its still very good.

It has two connections, one mini usb port, and a 3.5mm headphone jack. Straight out of the box, the device takes about 2 - 3 hours to charge. and lasts about 8 hours. :) You get a Mini USB cable included which you can use to charge the headset. Unfortunately, the usb cable is so short (approx. 15cm?), you will probably want to go out and buy a longer one. You also get a 3.5mm headphone cable so you can connect these headsets to the phone jack.

You also get a wireless USB dongle which you plug into your playstation. This offers the 7.1 virual surround sound, and games sound nice. One other thing i found out was, if you plug the USB dongle into your Windows 10 PC. You can use these headsets with your PC games and Movies too! Absolutely fantastic! Do not think you're restricted to just Playstation devices. This headset is totally versatile, and will work with most of your other devices (either via the 3.5mm jack or via the wireless dongle)

You also get a pouch to put all the bits and cables into along with the headset for easy transportation.

At such a fantastic price, i don't think you have anything to lose.
on 27 January 2016
The headphones themselves are great, excellent in terms of sound quality, ergonomics and very comfy for regular use. I have owned a set for just over a year. Unfortunately there is a flaw in the strength of the plastic fixing in the hinges which over time causes then to break. Mine have broken after a year and 7 days (so out of warranty) and I have had to repair and reinforce them with epoxy resin and plastic struts. They still work but only fold on one side now. I was very careful with them and don't have an enormous head so I was really surprised when they broke today but apparently it is quite common (two other members of my clan had similar issues after 4-6 months). I really didn't not want to give these 3 stars. If they replaced the hinge with a metal fixing so it doesn't break it would have been a definite 5 stars. I'd still recommend them but just be aware of this issue.
on 13 April 2016
I am Writing another review as I am extremely disappointed with this product. although the sound quality and the wireless quality are superb but still does not justify the product got broken after One year !
As you can see from the pictures attached that the headphones connecter got broken in a weird position, Having in mind that I am using it lightly in office environment. so just put them on and take them out. I only used them with PS4 twice ! so there were not under heavy action or weird movements.
Also the blue leather has been detached from the top. I have to say that this might be my fault as my office desk is near the window and we get sun spells every now and then. so that might be the case. I just needed to view all things that went error !
I bought it since JUN2015 and today 28JUL2016 it got broken. the audio still working but I am so devastated as I really liked this headphone. but it is not practical enough I guess!
review image review image review image review image review image
on 22 May 2014
I have to start off by saying I didn't buy mine off Amazon, I had a back-order from Gamestop, but after waiting a few weeks and then being told I probably wouldn't get them until end of May, I decided to shop else-where.

The build quality of these are amazing. They feel nice and sturdy, and they're also foldable, which is a great addition. After hearing that the face plates are interchangeable I was worried that they would easily, or accidentally, fall off. However this is not the case, they take a firm push to release, and are held securely in place. Upon first buying them I looked around for other face plates, but couldn't find any, I haven't checked recently though so that may now have changed. Where the headphones fold the hinges feel secure, again I was slightly worried this would prove to be flimsy, but it is quite the opposite! There are buttons placed on the left ear piece, personally I would have preferred them to be distributed between the two as I sometimes find myself fumbling around looking for the volume buttons, but after a while it's definitely something you get used to. It's also worth noting that these are over the ear headphones, and after long periods of use leave me with a nice ring of flattened hair around my ears :)

Moving on to connectivity they have made this the simplest possible. There are obvious complaints about the headphones not working through bluetooth, but this is due to the limited streaming capabilities of bluetooth, which would in turn be unable to stream the virtual 7.1 surround sound. To connect to either a PS3 or PS4 you simply pop the dongle in one of the usb slots, then turn the headphones on to the '1' setting for the default equalizer setting. On PC it's exactly the same process, simply pop in the USB and Windows will automatically install them, although on PC it only uses two channels - not virtual 7.1. I also decided to try to use these on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using a USB adaptor (Similar to this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Additions%C2%AE-Tablet-ARCHOS-Internet-70/dp/B004TJC1IM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400772826&sr=8-1&keywords=android+usb+host) and I was pleasantly surprised when it worked! If I want to use my headphones wirelessly with my phone I simply keep the adaptor plugged in and pop it in my pocket! It's worth noting here though that adjusting the sound of the headphones using the buttons on the headphone itself whilst connected to either my phone or my PC only adjusts the sound of my headphones and not my actual PC or phone. Therefore it has a lot less sound settings and changing the volume on my PC makes no difference to the sound output on my headphones. On the PS4 you can also download an app which allows you to upload custom equaliser settings to your headphones which you can use by setting your headphones to the '2' position. When I first looked they only had a few settings, and only one dedicated game setting (Infamous: Second Son, which sounds amazing by the way!) but again I imagine over time this would improve. Although they don't seem to mention this anywhere you actually need to connect the headphones to the PS4 through USB to upload a new setting! Also provided is a standard 3.5mm headphone lead for you to use your headphones on any other device. I have tried this on my PS Vita and on my phone, and both sound amazing! Also you do NOT need power in your headphones if you want to use them this way, they only need charge if you plan on using them wirelessly. The USB cable provided is tiny, luckily though I have a million of these cables strewn all over my place, so that wasn't a problem for me. It uses the same usb lead as most android phones use, but if you have any doubts I would highly recommend picking up a longer cable. One final thing with regards to connectivity I have tried these (wirelessly) with both my Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii U and neither work. Unfortunately I don't have an Xbox one to test these on.

Sound quality is superb, as expressed by other reviewers. As I have previously noted you have the option to change these settings on the PS4 app too. I commute on the tube to work and I always worry that headphones won't be loud enough to drown out the noise of the tube but these are more than loud enough :)

All in all best purchase I have made in a few months. I absolutely love these and would highly recommend them to anybody! If I have missed anything you would like to know, please feel free to comment and I'll reply ASAP :)