on 24 May 2017
I really didn’t enjoy Beneath The Watery Moon. I’m a fan of the author and was looking forward to reading this. I find myself wondering what the hell I just read. There are some pretty gruesome torture scenes from about the halfway point of this novel. I’m not squeamish at all but I felt like these were over the top and pointless at times. I don’t need to be hit over the head with a hammer to get the point. For pages and pages there was nothing going on apart from Annabel being tortured. I need a bit more thank you. The book lost any point after several pages of this and became distasteful. The opening sections of Beneath the Watery Moon were really well written with Annabel joining the commune and falling for Jude. I did think he was being set up to be the killer and am glad (sort of) that he’s probably not. Then the author pulls that awful it was just a dream, none of it happened trope and oh dear, Annabel is being tortured and raped every day by a sadist. I felt like I’d read half of two different novels that were stapled together. The latter half of the novel where Annabel is being tortured did not work for me. I felt no connection to Annabel or what was happening. The tone was really weird because it was written in the first person with Annabel’s voice. This didn’t work for me and I wouldn’t recommend it.
on 21 August 2017
I can understand why a lot of people disliked this book. If you can't stand violence and torture, don't read this book.

I actually did like the book though. The first and second parts of this book read almost like chick lit, and were based around quite a unique idea. The last third is very dark, and I was shocked, but intruiged. The twist was very good and I didn't see it coming.

The only two things I disliked about the book were the ending and the representation of mental illness. If the ending had tied up all of the loose ends, and the mental illness in the book had a bit more depth and played a stronger part in the book, I would have liked it more and given it 5 stars. I did prefer the Optician's Wife.

I won't forget this book in a while. A very harrowing read.
on 17 May 2016
I decided to read this book straight after I read Carrion, which left me with a thirst for more from this author.

Betsy Reavley tells the story of an extremely troubled young woman who has had a troubled life dealing with mental health issues and her desire to change her life upon release from a psychiatric hospital with tragic consequences.

This book is not for the faint hearted. There is beauty and hope and I found myself immersed in the emotions of the main character, which is testimony to the talent of the author in the telling of the story. I felt deep empathy for Annabel and even when I knew that things were not as they seamed, found myself hoping that I was wrong. The story is gripping, emotive, chilling and ultimately dark and disturbing. A fantastic book and as with the authors other book Carrion, I could not put it down.
on 6 March 2015
Personally I enjoyed this book. I wasn't sure what to expect after reading the reviews, there's a lot of good ones but also a bunch of bad ones with some saying the book turned disgusting and sickening. I don't agree with the bad ones. I thought this book was extremely well written, yes it does turn quite sadistic and terrifyingly brutal but I wasn't shocked or sickened and certainly not disgusted. It's quite a story and I think you can make up your own mind as to what was reality and what was imagination or delusion. Really very well done, I will be reading more by Betsy Reavley.
on 9 February 2014
A story that at first seems to be little more than a romance involving someone recovering from a serious mental disorder suddenly turns into a shocking tale of murder and terror. It's a gripping read with a strong believable female character whose journey will leave you shocked, drained, exalted.
on 6 June 2017
this isptobably the worst book i have ever read please dont bother toread t it is trulydreadful utter nonsense from start to finish shame on the phblisher for publishing it utter rubbish to put it olitely
on 21 June 2014
What an oddly breathtaking book.. From an only mildly interesting beginning it moves from hopefully pleasant to pleasingly romantic on to sensual then, with a wild twist, plunges into darkness and horror.
I couldn't see how this story could end in any way that would hold up and then it did, end, in the only way that it could.
I was amazed to end up loving it but it was oddly clever and surprising.
on 11 September 2016
This is the third novel, I have read by this author so knew what I was dealing with.

Ha, how naive.

The book is split into to three parts, all read different...

I can understand why people wouldn't like it and I love gore, even I had to slow down, breathe and felt sick...the last book to do this to me was Into the darkest corner by Elizabeth Haynes...

A sign of a great book is when the author can describe a book so graphically that you can physically feel for the character. That is what I did for Annabelle...

Pure gut wrentchingly sickening grit of detail...superb. Don't read the last third when eating!
on 17 August 2017
....I laughed..... clearly written by a child. Words fail me. Amazon want 8 more words....I will never get this time back!
on 23 May 2016
An excellent book, I read this book in one sitting and even after I had finished I couldn't stop thinking about it! Not going to reveal any of the plot but what a twist at the end,. READ IT NOW!!!