on 19 June 2013
Mike Wells obviously researched his subject well, and the book contains a mine of useful information about the Rhine and cycle touring in the countries it passes through. However, the guide is of limited practical use for three main reasons: it does not replace more detailed route maps, which one would need to take along as well, as the maps provided give an overview of each stage but are of an inadequate scale for navigation; the routing is at times a little idiosyncratic; the detailed route descriptions given would require one to ride along holding the book in one hand - sketch maps would have been more useful at crucial points. In addition, there are no recommendations for accommodation etc. which the main German maps (bikeline and Kompass) do give. So, in summary, an interesting book for preparing the journey, but could be dispensed with on the trip itself.
on 15 October 2013
As a tourist guide it is very informative, well illustrated and interesting. The maps are useful as far as telling you were you are heading each day but hopeless at showing the cyclist were to turn when en route. The route descriptions are hard to follow on the maps and, of course, cannot be read whilst cycling without repeated stops. I had hoped for a route map or illustration, which I could have copied and fixed to my bike so I could follow it whilst cycling without having to stop, but there was none. This means one has to keep stopping, buy and make up ones own route map or rely on the route signs. It would also be useful to know where the roads are paved and where they are not. Nevertheless it will be with me en route next May!
on 14 September 2015
Very good book. Cycled the Rhine this summer with the family and the book was invaluable. Also took the German Rhein Radweg guide books and digitised the whole route into my Garmin 800. The latter was invaluable as no time was wasted route finding. When he means the route is not good for road bikes he means it. I was pulling a Bob Ibex (32kg) with a Cannondale CAADX cyclocross and couldn't control the bike on the gravel sections. For these sections we kept on the road. The bit I enjoyed about the book was his research about places and sites of interest rather than the guide of turn left at crossroad etc.
on 25 September 2013
I have recently returned from Switzerland by bicycle along the Rhine. This book proved invaluable in route planning. Mostly the way marking was good but occasionally the detailed instructions in Mike Wells' book enabled me to find my way when the signposts failed me.
I also had Bikeline guides 2 and 3 but they were not enough. This book helped me to find my way and enjoy the best of the countries I passed through.
on 30 July 2013
This book proved to be really useful when I cycled part of the Rhine route this month. Found it very informative and the perfect size to put in a cycle pannier or bag.
on 3 April 2013
Good for general information, lacking in alternatives, of which there are a number. We still found we needed to get more information from other sources.
on 24 April 2015
Always interesting, exciting and informative
on 28 March 2013
I bought this as an early planning / feasibility study for this trip.
Very good ...... hope i go. But through use of book I can adapt trip to suit - eg. head off into Belgium up the Moselle.
Happy cycling!
on 10 March 2013
No criticism of this book intended, which I have neither bought nor read, but I have done the Rhine cycle route from sea (Rotterdam) to Strasbourg in 2011 and found it a nightmare. Nothing was clearly marked and I frequently lost the trail. I took a tent but could not always find a campsite. There were no helpful signs for this either. There was not an actual cycle path, more a case of finding your way. A word of advice, if you are thinking of staying in accommodation, you are best booking before you go. Everywhere I stopped I was told 'There is a festival in our town. There are no free rooms'. It was quite scary at times. The Germans are organised, and so must the visitor be.
on 12 February 2015
I am on my Way ! Usefull book.