on 4 February 2015
The central character in this book comes across as a petulant child almost all the time, I think he is supposedly eighteen, more like thirteen.

He ranges from irrational anger to paralyzing fear, is only interested in learning 'exciting' magic and yet we are supposed to believe he is the one to save the world. I could believe this was written by the person who wrote Jake Lloyd's lines in Phantom Menace.

There is never a feeling that he is succeeding due to any skill of his own, it is a combination of dumb luck and some un-earned 'inherited power' that apparently makes him special. If you want him to people to care, you have to make him more interesting than this.

Also, the writing isn't very good. There are numerous grammatical errors, with misused punctuation and sentences constructed with words placed in a nonsensical order.

Also, why on earth is the magic called divine magic, when it is nothing of the sort?
on 26 August 2014
This was the first time I had read one of Allen J Johnston's books and I am very grateful to have discovered him! This is a well written and intriguing fantasy thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat throughout. This is a novel that has it all, including a strong and engaging plot line with more twists than a Chubby Checker concert!.

It was very easy to lose oneself in The Divine Apprentice - the story was full of suspense and the novel was read in super quick time. I found it very easy to emphasize with the characters - a great understanding of human emotions being shown, which, when combined with the compelling fantasy elements to this story, made for a truly well written and captivating novel. The main character Kade and the relationship with his mother Judeen, the Master Chosen Zayle and then the dragon draws you in from the very outset and is portrayed in such a vivid and absorbing fashion that you feel completely intertwined in everything Kade does and feels.

This is a book that that you do not want to put down from start to finish. The imagination of the author is wonderfully translated into this intriguing fantasy and gives the whole novel a sense of depth and discovery rarely found.

Will look out for more novels by the author!. Highly recommended
on 24 August 2014
Lose yourself (like I did) in a world of fantasy filled with mythical creatures, and a hero who discovers how to manifest his divine powers when faced with difficult and dangerous circumstances, of whom along the way he meets a wonderful woman who has mythical healing powers that compliments his.

In this brilliant and thrilling fantasy novel, the author had me eagerly turning the pages frantically to find out what happens next. Especially with a plot that was filled with plenty of action, suspense and human emotions, and characters and environments that are so vividly described, that it feels as though you are the characters themselves and are right there in the scene next to them.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book, of which I was quite surprised, and for those who love stories that involve magic, casting spells, use of paranormal powers, fighting against evil forces, then this is definitely a book for you
on 26 April 2015
This book was just great , I am about to go and find the next two if they are on kindle . The story line is really good and really keeps you on your toes , I really hope the rest of the series is as good , then I will be a happy bunny .
on 16 August 2014
The Divine Apprentice offers everything a great fantasy book should. From a wonderful world, to intriguing characters, and a very gripping story-line. So much so that I read this book in one sitting, (which is something I don't often do) and don't be mislead this book isn't short. Far from it, this is the tale of Kade, an apprentice on the path to become a chosen, but his destiny is more complex than it may seem.

Overall this is a definite gem to add to your reading collection, it's a fantastic world, full of good and evil, happiness and sorrow, and epic battles. It's a must have!
on 2 September 2014
This is one of those books which you get truly lost in, taken to a world of fantasy, but best of all, you share the entire adventure with a dragon.

The characters are interesting and the storyline is compelling, reminding me at times of the wonderful and amazing Sarah Paver and Wolf Brother.

I think this is a difficult genre to master as a writer, because you have to create something realistic out of an idea that is pure fantasy and magic, but I feel this writer has created a believable journey that is utterly absorbing. Well done!
on 4 October 2014
It looks like I am one of the minority reviewers that didn't find this book epic. I would class it more as just ok. There are elements if it that are really good but unfortunately I found these swamped in pages of dribble. In summary I would say good idea, good characters, but lacking direction in places, speed in delivery, lack of action and believability.
on 30 April 2014
The further I dwell into the book, the more I want to read.Very hard to get it off my hand once I start cracking on the main story. Its creative story and its style of writing is very enticing for teenagers. Highly recommended indeed!
on 26 August 2014
Good start- looking forward to the next one-- magic- fantasy - escapism book- excellent! Now to download the next two in the series!!
on 31 March 2014
Another one from Allen Johnston that doesn't disappoint, I couldn't put the book down well worth grabbing and settling down for a night. Another book with a great storyline and ongoing saga of Kade.
Highly recommend this series.