on 4 February 2015
The central character in this book comes across as a petulant child almost all the time, I think he is supposedly eighteen, more like thirteen.

He ranges from irrational anger to paralyzing fear, is only interested in learning 'exciting' magic and yet we are supposed to believe he is the one to save the world. I could believe this was written by the person who wrote Jake Lloyd's lines in Phantom Menace.

There is never a feeling that he is succeeding due to any skill of his own, it is a combination of dumb luck and some un-earned 'inherited power' that apparently makes him special. If you want him to people to care, you have to make him more interesting than this.

Also, the writing isn't very good. There are numerous grammatical errors, with misused punctuation and sentences constructed with words placed in a nonsensical order.

Also, why on earth is the magic called divine magic, when it is nothing of the sort?
on 26 April 2015
This book was just great , I am about to go and find the next two if they are on kindle . The story line is really good and really keeps you on your toes , I really hope the rest of the series is as good , then I will be a happy bunny .
on 24 August 2014
Lose yourself (like I did) in a world of fantasy filled with mythical creatures, and a hero who discovers how to manifest his divine powers when faced with difficult and dangerous circumstances, of whom along the way he meets a wonderful woman who has mythical healing powers that compliments his.

In this brilliant and thrilling fantasy novel, the author had me eagerly turning the pages frantically to find out what happens next. Especially with a plot that was filled with plenty of action, suspense and human emotions, and characters and environments that are so vividly described, that it feels as though you are the characters themselves and are right there in the scene next to them.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book, of which I was quite surprised, and for those who love stories that involve magic, casting spells, use of paranormal powers, fighting against evil forces, then this is definitely a book for you
2 people found this helpful
on 2 September 2014
This is one of those books which you get truly lost in, taken to a world of fantasy, but best of all, you share the entire adventure with a dragon.

The characters are interesting and the storyline is compelling, reminding me at times of the wonderful and amazing Sarah Paver and Wolf Brother.

I think this is a difficult genre to master as a writer, because you have to create something realistic out of an idea that is pure fantasy and magic, but I feel this writer has created a believable journey that is utterly absorbing. Well done!
on 4 October 2014
It looks like I am one of the minority reviewers that didn't find this book epic. I would class it more as just ok. There are elements if it that are really good but unfortunately I found these swamped in pages of dribble. In summary I would say good idea, good characters, but lacking direction in places, speed in delivery, lack of action and believability.
on 26 August 2014
Good start- looking forward to the next one-- magic- fantasy - escapism book- excellent! Now to download the next two in the series!!
on 30 April 2014
The further I dwell into the book, the more I want to read.Very hard to get it off my hand once I start cracking on the main story. Its creative story and its style of writing is very enticing for teenagers. Highly recommended indeed!
on 28 January 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and can't wait until the next instalment, I highly recommend reading this for yourself! Loved it.
on 31 March 2014
Another one from Allen Johnston that doesn't disappoint, I couldn't put the book down well worth grabbing and settling down for a night. Another book with a great storyline and ongoing saga of Kade.
Highly recommend this series.
on 7 March 2014
This series of books has an interesting look at magic and sources of power. Worth a read for lovers of fantasy
2 people found this helpful