Customer reviews

The Quiller Memorandum [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 4 April 2016
This is a review for the BLU-RAY version of this movie.
Do not waste your money on this 'itv Studios' Blu-ray it is pitiful, it is one of the worst Blu-ray transfers I have ever seen!
It is a great shame that 'itv Studios' obviously could not be bothered about the transfer of this iconic movie, they obviously produced it just to make money.
I showed this film many moons ago when I used to work as a projectionist and it always staid in my mind the cinematography and the acting are superb, however this Blu-ray spoils it all!
For one thing it is far too bright, with very little contrast, the film is meant to give the impression of the dark dismal days of the cold war, there are far too many blemishes and artefacts, in fact on the Blu-ray version there appears to be at least two scenes where there is a hair in the gate that I don't recall on the DVD version which I also own.
This copy looks as though it has been transferred directly from a cleaned up 35mm release print as there are quite a few small marks and scratches in places and a lot of speckle and dust.
Don't buy it! If you want to enjoy this film try to get the 'Granada ventures' DVD, although it is not perfect by any means it is far superior to this Blu-ray beleive me.
on 18 October 2017
Only just got around to viewing the itv studios Blu Ray which I bought in 2014. I agree with others - AVOID buying this version. It is without doubt the worst presentation of any film on DVD or Blu Ray I have ever seen. Full of interference, shimmering shadows and black vivid graininess. A disgrace.

So the 4 stars are for the movie NOT for the so-called Blu Ray.

As for the movie - it seems to have a reputation greater than it deserves, but as a gently plodding Cold War thriller it serves it's purpose.

The performances are its strong points, rather than the actual story. Alec Guinness is brilliant as ever in a restrained but authoritative way, Max Von Sydow is stylishly menacing, and George Segal, who I had only known previously from the highly recommended THE BRIDGE AT REMAGEN, carries the film with his wit and charm.

The love interest, all films seem to have one, comes from the stunningly beautiful Senta Berger, and her association with Segal seems like a dream made in heaven. Or is it? Despite having seen the movie 3 times now I am still unsure on this point and would love to know what others think. KAN
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 8 March 2015
The Quiller Memorandum is a brilliant film and I would love to give this Blu-ray release 5/5, but sadly the picture quality has to be one of the worst I have ever seen, and I have seen a few in my time. The contrast was just bright white and their was no colour to the film, To be honest with you I sold my copy and brought the dvd release instead.
on 28 July 2017
Considering the quality of the cast in this film it didn't excite me as much as I had expected. I remember the film from the 60's so perhaps it hasn't travelled well but considering other Alec Guinness films from that and earlier decades I don't know why. However it's worth watching for the cold war experience and the twist at the end.
on 28 July 2017
Great locations - drama very dated.
on 10 March 2017
Good old fashioned thriller....
on 1 March 2017
You can't beat British spy classics and this is up there with the best. Great acting and the film score is brilliant.
on 7 April 2017
Great film, iconic of the era
on 21 June 2011
I have to admit being in my 20s when I first saw the Quiller Memorandum but for drama it still ranks with the best. Compared with the frenetic pace of modern films it moves quite slowly giving one time to check all the possibilities and relish some nice touches - Oktober cracking his knuckles; Pol eating the sultana; the hotelier polishing his shoes. George Segal seems to fit the role perfectly - quiet but powerful. I felt that Senta Berger was just a bit too enigmatic and restrained but nevertheless delightful.

There are no torrid sex scenes; no foul language and very little violence. A very pleasing evening's entertainment
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 May 2015
Feel like a social outcast writing a five star review of the blu ray Quiller! There is not one positive review for what is excellent technical quality. First thing that struck me was the fact that this sixties espionage thriller is in colour. I was watching on 100' projection which tends to exaggerate any picture faults. But there were none in this blu ray. It is a stereo soundtrack with subtitles in picture on this widescreen (black bars top and bottom) movie. Gorgeous colour rendition right from the opening scene that has shrubbery beneath the buildings.

And what a cracking opening scene. I had not seen the film before. What also impressed me was the courteous dialogue almost right through the film. Of course what we see has to be doubted but what we hear is also the opposite of menace. Infiltration is the key theme.

Infiltration of 1930s German politics into post war politics. I shudder to think of how the language has changed but some of the 'white might' lingers. Insidious. The evolution of the language of power is a fascinating way of looking at this film fifty years after it was made. Everyone trusts everyone.

But the story is good too. Even the twists have twists. But as if to underline my courteous/trust perspective most of the movie is shot in sunshine in a vibrant city seemingly going about its business. Whilst some men and women stop and stare and look. Good people. Children play around them.

And if all that does not grab you round the corner, I should add that it's selling for a fiver on the two for ten offer. Well worth your time and money.

UPDATE I note a couple of votes against my review. I have since quickly skipped through a few scenes on a plasma screen. I would concede that I could notice some flickering of the picture. I swear this was not the case on projection. I got mine in a slimline blu ray case with a reversible front cover.