Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 February 2015
Karen and Greg have something special. Their teenage love isn't just a casual thing, it's deep and it's real. Unfortunately they don't manage to stay together, but they can't stop thinking about each other. Each time they meet they want to get back together, but they're not sure if it's ever going to happen. They grow up and start living their own lives, but they do keep in touch every now and then. When they are approaching middle age, they still can't forget each other. Will they manage to make it happen or is life too complicated?

There are six postcards which all stand for turning points in Greg and Karen's relationship. Somehow they don't manage to make it happen between them while they want to every time they see each other. Life and sometimes stupidity or stubbornness gets in the way. Both Karen and Greg are such nice and kind people, they deserve some happiness. That's what I kept thinking. I married my high school love, so I know what they felt like, but I also got to see what would have happened if we would have parted. That meant this book came very close and it's why I liked it even more. The ending is so romantic and unexpected, I loved it. Six Postcards Home is a fabulous Irish novel and I highly recommend it.
on 3 August 2014
3.5 stars
Thanks to the author for sending me a copy of her novel, in return for and honest review.......

Karen and Greg are teenagers in love. More than that, they are connected by an invisible bond that makes their love seem unbreakable. Life is a mix of exams, discos and walks in the park. Kissing, holding hands and dreaming of their future. One stupid misunderstanding breaks the bond and here begins a lifetimes worth of ‘what-ifs’ and bad timing. Over the decades, Greg sends the occasional postcard to Karen, letting her know that he thinks of her, as much as she does him. Life moves on, from Ireland in the 1980s, across America and Europe, but will their love for each other ever lose its intensity?

Michelle Jackson has written a story of young love in Ireland and using her experience as a travel writer, has weaved some great locations into the tale. She describes the North Dublin areas of Sutton and Howth very lovingly and anyone who is from the area will know the street names, landmarks and pubs that are mentioned throughout. The Grove disco was indeed a rite of passage in the 1980s and many a romance started there. However, there seems to be a trend for this kind of story lately and while I am all for the nostalgic flashbacks to the 80s, this particular book was a bit too serious for me. There was very little humour in any of the memories and I know that young love is intense and all consuming at the time, but there are definitely some laughs and giggles along the way. I like the mention of Top of the Pops and what songs Karen was listening to at the time, but I still couldn’t connect with her teenage self. She seemed too one dimensional and lacked a realism that would have brought the story alive. Greg began to annoy me with his teasing phone calls, visits and postcards. I could feel the bond that was there between them and the sexual tension that built up over the years was well written, but due to decades passing by with no real story to grip to, I soon gave up caring too much.

In saying all that, I did enjoy the book. I read in two sittings and kept turning those pages. Michelle’s writing style is fluid and easy to read with good chapter lengths. I also loved the addition of the pictures of Greg’s postcards. Even the stamps are accurate. I had penpals, back in the day, and recognised the stamps straight away. Overall, had the book been edited down a bit, it may have worked better for me. Less Howth and more story. Poolbeg seem to thrive on books based near the Irish coastline, but after years of reading the same descriptions of the landscape of the same areas, I would like to see more books about the rest of Dublin, or indeed the many other beautiful parts of Ireland.
on 30 November 2013
I've enjoyed all of Michelle Jackson's books but for me, Six Postcards Home has given me something more. It's a beautiful, nostalgic look at first love and how it sometimes never leaves us. Karen and Greg's love story is both touching and heart-breaking and I found myself rooting for them through the whole book. Michelle has created two wonderful characters and I think everyone will be able to see a little bit of themselves in them. I loved being transported back in time with all the eighties references and it was fun to be reminded of a time before mobile phones and email! Six Postcards Home is a wonderful love story with an ending you won't see coming. I can highly recommend it.
Six Postcards Home written by Michelle Jackson for me was a fantastic read as once I started this wonderful read I just had to know what happened to the main characters Greg and Karen as their love story grew throughout the years but not in the usual way we readers are used to reading about.
Greg and Karen met when they were still at school and loved each other from day one, but for these two love birds’ - life and other people got in the way. While each of them grew up and their lives took them in paths they would never have dreamed in their young lives, but throughout this wonderful read both narrated their own at times heart breaking yet enlightening story. Throughout the book the postcards come from Greg to Karen and as well as their own narration the postcards were a vital part of the story.
Why I loved this book so much was mainly the story was believable and I could see Dublin, London, Spain through the author's words. I loved how she brought the beauty of the cities within the story-line alive and the characters were real to me and I had to know what happened to Greg and of course the beautiful inside and out Karen.
Reading Six Postcards home was a pleasure as well as an addiction as once started I could not put it down, for me it is one of those books where the writing drew me in and I could not stop until the last page was read.
The author Michelle Jackson has a wonderful talent for storytelling and not only that she brought the separate time frames alive through the music and how our social lives changed throughout the years especially when the internet and mobile phones entered our lives and changed them forever.
If you take one book on holiday this year take this one as soon you will be lost following Greg and Karen plus their many friends and acquaintances come alive within this wonderful read.

Six Postcards Home written by Michelle Jackson is a brilliant read and this is one book I am very happy to recommend to all readers of modern day fiction especially with a strong romantic feel throughout.
on 6 December 2013
This is a warm love story that reminded me of growing up in Dublin and I remembered all the places mentioned in the book. I thought it was going to have a sad ending or predictable one but it was a big surprise and left me with a tear in my eye but happy.
on 30 August 2016
Wonderful read as usual Michelle takes you on a beautiful journey, heartwarming tale didn't want it to end
on 19 March 2016
Great read
on 31 December 2013
Michelle Jackson hits the mark again with this fabulous story of Karen and Greg, who we follow from them being sweethearts at sixteen. The story follows the two through their lives to their 40's, the distance and closeness, the highs and lows, the reader misses nothing.

This story is brilliantly written with the characters voices changing as they grow, loved every page of this book and deffinatly not the ending i expected
on 22 August 2015
Another boring book that I could not finish,disappointing.