Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£3.99

on 25 November 2011
Every so often, a new band appears seemingly out of nowhere & release a debut album that is so completely lovely that you wonder what you ever did without it. Just such a band are Foster The People & just such an album is Torches. I fell in love with it on first listen & I knew then, that it was going to feature very high in my albums of the year! The lead single Pumped Up Kicks was the song that inspired me to get the album. Its a curious, mellow song underpinned by an insidious beat & has slightly muffled vocals in the verses before bursting into a simple but glorious chorus. It was a real sleeper hit single - hanging around the charts for ages. The whole album is filled with songs that sound so simple & effortless & all the songs have razor sharp hooklines & killer choruses. Helena Beat, Waste, Don't Stop, Call It What You Want....I could go on...& I will, about one song in particular which hit me like some divine hammer the first time I heard it. The song in question is I Would Do Anything For You & its the sweetest, sunshiniest & just most downright adorable song you could hope to hear. Angelic vocals sing achingly sweet words in the verses & kick into a chorus that is so simple & so completely & utterly joyful, you can't help but bounce around the room. My niece, who was 4 years old when she heard it, adores this song & does a cute little dance & sings along to it! Its about the joys of being in love & oh my, the song just perfectly conveys the wonderful feeling of having someone in your life that you love more than anything. I adore that song, I adore this album & I adore this band! Buy it NOW & bring some perfect indie-pop sunshine into your life! :D
44 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 February 2015
Like many people I'd imagine, indie pop band Foster the People first came to my attention via the hit single 'Pumped Up Kicks', which is one of those rare tunes that no matter how many times I hear it (and that has been a lot), it just never gets old. I bought 'Torches', their debut, and fell in love with it straight away.

Although the band do have heavy shades of MGMT and Two Door Cinema Club, Foster the People definitely have their own sound. All of the songs here are so upbeat, catchy-as-hell, and my idea of perfect indie-pop music. As good as 'Pumped Up Kids' is, don't assume that it is the only stand-out on 'Torches' and the rest won't hold up as well, it isn't even the best song. Other highlights include the sweet 'Waste' and the cool 'Helena Beat', which instantly lifts my mood onto a high.

This is wonderfully melodic music, complete with very crisp vocals, and first-class production. Don't let 'Torches' slip past you, it's an amazing album I can recommend to all lovers of good indie music.
on 4 December 2013
33rpm 5-track-per-side vinyl was decent quality for such a digital-sounding album. Tracks don't necessarily flow too well into each other - a problem that is more common with modern albums produced for putting on shuffle on one of them new-fangled iPod things - but each is as good as Pumped Up Kicks once you've listened to it a bit. Doesn't stay quite as interesting for as long as some albums but definitely worth a buy.
on 6 October 2015
This is a really cheerful album. I hadn't realised how many tracks I had heard on the radio/tv/youtube etc. I like FTP's sound and the overall hippy-ness of their lyrics and instruments. They do something slightly different from other bands in the charts these days which is more enjoyable. And their lyrics actually have meaning to them. I really liked this album.
on 18 January 2013
Quirky musical mishmash of styles underlined by decent musicianship. I'm a sucker for a groovy bass riff and bought the album for that alone on Pumped Up Kicks but there's at least one other standout track on this.
on 26 May 2014
When I heard Pumped Up Kicks played on the radio, I was hooked and had to buy this album. I bought this around two years ago and incredibly it's still in the CD player in the car, which make is easily the most listened to CD in my collection. Unusually for an album, there are no duff tracks. I find that when I buy music, I play it over and over and I get bored. I'm still waiting for that to happen with this album.
on 17 January 2012
This album deserves more than 5 stars so I give it a 10 out of 10, this is a must have album, if you loved Pumped up Kicks you will love the whole album, my personal favourite song is Houdini. I got the album for Christmas and ever since I haven't stopped listening to it, I was surprised with the music because usually on an album there are a couple of tracks that I don't like and there are only a couple of bands that I really like who manage to get me to like every song and now Foster the People are one of those bands I love every song on this album, and you'll be dancing from the start to finish. I never get tired of listening to the album and I suggest this to everyone!
on 22 August 2011
Heard a snatch of Pumped Up Kicks on the radio and it drove me mad until I found out what it was. As soon as I did I bought the album. Absolutely love it. Really funky.
on 26 December 2012
Really enjoy Foster the People.
They have a great rhythm and interesting lyrics.
A friend introduced them to me and I really like the alternative vibe.
Alternative with out being pretentious and trying too hard!
on 20 August 2015
I originally got this CD from my other half as I only wanted it for "Pumped up kicks" but after listening to it she really liked it and it disappeared into her car, so I bought her own copy so that I could have mine back, well worth a listen, it really grows on you until you start to sing along !