Customer reviews

Style: Stand Alone|Change

on 29 May 2014
After reading average views on some Ryobi trimmers I decided to buy the hybrid I was not disappointed! It arrived the next day and was easy to unpack and assemble took me about 15 mins the instructions were illustrated which was great. It takes 45 mins on average to charge and with that you get a good 20 mins of use.As I am short on stature and not to steady on my pins I wanted a trimmer that is light and well balanced to use and the handle can be adjusted real easy so other members of family can use it!
I chose this hybrid trimmer as part of my garden is on an uneven slope and I did not want the worry or hastle of tripping over a power lead. The trimmer worked excellently on some of the tougher weeds and cut really close to fences and walls it even cleared the mossy weedy bits from between my paving slabs and patio. On trimming the lawn it cut close without scalping it and with a twist of the handle I used it as an edger as well. The line lasted longer than my last trimmer and did not seem to wear out so fast. I found the adjustable cutting width a bonus. too. Going from using the battery to electric there was no real noticeable difference in power or speed of the trimmer which was great. I love the maneuverbility and freedom of having a cordless to the reliability of an electric trimmer also when the weather is not quite right to use an electric trimmer its safe to use a cordles strimmer brilliant in this english weather! All in all a very good buy for only £129 and an essential piece of gardening equipment.
on 29 October 2016
I bought this as I already had a number of other components within the Ryobi ONE+ system, meaning I can interchange the batteries amongst the units.

The trimmer is used for general maintenance of the garden as well as finishing off the edges of the lawn, and hasn't let me down in the 6 months I've had it.

The batteries will last a good half hour of constant use and charge up within the hour, so as long as you have a few batteries to cycle through the charging process, you'll always have power for your units.

A great item that I'd happily recommend to family and friends.
on 10 July 2017
Only used the trimmer couple of time within last year and it broken already. Power unit constantly needs to be charged. Not worth money.
on 5 March 2017
excellent
on 12 October 2014
No issues, works brilliant with a heavy duty lithium battery which came with my drill. Also I use 1.65mm cord purchased from local DIY shop. Only takes a minute to wind on. A lot cheaper than purchasing new spools.
Style: Stand Alone|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
... and that is high praise because I really like my Bosch strimmer.

The Ryobi strimmer uses the old-fashioned line cord but that is much better than the plastic blades most modern strimmers use (the blades have to be replaced every 30 mins in my experience). The Ryobi can also be used with a lithium battery for cordless convenience and, when that runs out, you can insert a power cord (supplied). It's such a simple idea but it's really practical and puts this strimmer way ahead of the competition.

The power is very impressive. Using the battery or cord I was able to cut sharp edges around my lawn - like I was using a spade! Even the weeds between the paving slabs got cut out because the cord (like thick fishing line) reaches every crevice of the garden.

So, in summary, this is a very serious piece of kit and the best electric/battery powered strimmer I have used in my twenty years of gardening.

UP-DATE SEPTEMBER 2015 - Unfortunately the charger stopped working but Ryobi were quick to replace it under their two year warranty. Excellent customer service.
11 Comment| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 June 2014
We spent ages researching strimmers and ended up with this. Very pleased: sturdy construction, adjustable length and not too heavy for me (8 stone female). The combination of battery and corded power is excellent: we've used it in the dense nettles and cow parsley in the field beyond our house and it has done great work. I also like the ability to use it to tidy up the border edges in the garden - not as good as digging but better than nothing.

Spool and line seem to be lasting well - not many suppliers that I've found as yet.
on 12 April 2014
First strimmer I have not had to keep replacing the cord on. Not having to run an extension lead out to use it is a bonus. With me being over 6 foot tall and the trimmer having a nice long handle, with well balanced variable second handle makes for a well balanced tool to use with no stooping.
Style: Stand Alone|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First impression of this strimmer is that it is a lot more solid than the £30-£40 strimmers I normally use. It has a solid metal adjustable shaft, and plastic parts components that are thick and sturdy. The whole thing gives the impression of being built to last. It all comes packed in a big long box, and takes about 20 minutes to assemble. Once assembled, it won’t go back into the box, so the box is essentially scrap.

The handle is adjustable for height and angle, and balances the strimmer nicely for comfortable handling. The handle is of moulded plastic, and is actually more comfortable to use if you fit it upside down. That way, the edges don’t dig into your hand.

The automatic cable spool is surprisingly easy to use, and it actually works. The spools from Black & Decker and Bosch never worked for me. The Bosch one was particularly useless, but this one feeds the cable perfectly every time, and cuts it to length.

I tried it around our grounds, and found it effective at removing unwanted greenery from borders, gaps in paving, around trees and fence posts, and so on. It hacked through dense growths with ease. With the head turned around, it trimmed borders nicely, too.

It comes with an 8 metre mains cable that is connects under the trigger grip, but can be detached if you prefer to use the battery pack. Having used this trimmer with the battery pack, I don’t bother with the cable any more. The battery pack is what makes this strimmer so much better. It is easier to work without cables dragging after you and getting under your feet. The battery pack lasts plenty long enough for an afternoon’s work, and it is less bother to pack away afterward.

The battery charges in about 30 minutes from empty. The charger looks a bit space-age but is easy to use. Clip the battery in place and leave it to charge. The display tells you what’s happening, and will indicate battery faults, too.

It is certainly not a cheap strimmer, but it does a great job, and it is solidly made. The instruction book is almost entirely in pictures, and is easy enough to follow. The battery pack is the main benefit here though. It makes the job so much easier, it is safer without mains electricity, and you are not restricted by how far the mains cable can reach.
review image review image review image review image review image
on 22 April 2017
Excellent strimmer the battery supplied was more than powerful enough for the machine (1.3Ah) i have other batteries (4.0Ah) and personally think that these would be way too much power for it, also it is much better then a bosch strimmer with plastic blades great bit of kit just a shame it cost so much but i definitely would not hesitate to buy another should the need arrise