on 7 July 2014
Five stars with reservations. If you have the Criterion double dvd the picture and sound quality (when upscaled) are just about the same on this blu ray. I watched this Masters of Cinema edition on 100' projection. The picture is sharper but colours and grain are virtually the same. Having said that, of course, the Criterion disc is extremely high quality. In theory the audio of the blu ray is stereo but in practice it is still the mono soundtrack across two front speakers. The subtitles and screen text are pin sharp. I do not know if the blu ray version of the Criterion dvd is significantly better.

As for the movie itself, it is both wondrous and wonderful. Having recently experienced the full might of the Justice system being perversely abused I fully engaged in Mick Travis and his friends' stunning revolt against hypocrisy and the vile depravity of the ruling class. "You look after the House and the House will look after you" offers the Headmaster. License to make documents go 'missing.'

If you are interested in the Extras on this one disc release I noted that the Menu stated that the interviews were carried out between February and March 2014.
on 11 June 2017
Dad's old favourite film so I got it for Father's Day. Really weird film but my dad loved it so I was happy too.
on 21 June 2017
Great classic film I went to an all boy boarding school in the 70s just like this film smashing but harsh
on 22 August 2017
Classic sixties drama
on 22 May 2017
Everything fine.
on 26 April 2017
I had forgotten just how brilliant this film is. Very much of its time.
on 7 November 2015
Blu-ray review - sharper than the DVD so a worthwhile upgrade.
HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 26 February 2014
As you've probably gathered most of the reviews are for the 'DVD' version of Lindsay Anderson's incendiary 1968 'bucking-the-system' classic. And the BLU RAY is available in both the States and the UK. But which issue to buy?

Unfortunately the uber-desirable USA Criterion release is REGION-A LOCKED although it doesn't say so on Amazon.
So it WILL NOT PLAY on most UK BLU RAY players unless they're chipped to play 'all' regions (which the vast majority aren't).
Don’t confuse BLU RAY players that have multi-region capability on the 'DVD' front – that won’t help.

Luckily the "Masters Of Cinema" release on this side of the pond (which boasts the same cleaned up transfer) is REGION FREE – so that will play on UK machines.

Check you’re purchasing the right version before you buy the pricey Criterion release...
11 Comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 May 2017
I'v read a load of rubbish people having said about this film, I first saw it at the Plaza cinema
in London when it came out, and loved it then and still do now. The only thing I was not keen
on was seeing all those old men, talking about when they was in this film. I could not see
that it was them at all. But then is was all those decades ago.
on 21 November 2016
I attended an English grammar school in the 1970s. - although a state school, it copied many aspects of public schools. No fagging, but teachers in gowns, houses, 19th century buildings, etc. etc. Grange Hill it was not. As a result I had never really seen anything like my school on the screen - until one evening I saw this.

I was about 15 and - boy - did I identify with it. The teachers looked (and behaved) exactly like staff at my school, and many of the classroom scenes could have been filmed there. The headmaster was even the spitting image of my head! The setting was SO believable.

Okay, a lot was also rather different (mainly the behaviour of the senior boys - fortunately our Prefects did not behave like that, though you suspected they would have done given half the chance). Also, although we had borders, I was a day-boy so the dormitory and study scenes were a bit unfamiliar, and as a rule we did not go around shooting the staff, but other than that it was sheer joy to watch. I recall cheering at the end.

Having seen it again I do now view it rather differently, as the allegorical masterpiece that it is. But it still reminds me of school more than any other film I have ever seen,