Customer reviews

on 7 May 2014
Firstly, I was drawn to Strength of My Heart by Heather Murdoch by its subtitle, A Spiritual Fairy Tale. I have liked fairy tales ever since I watched a cartoon version of The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen on television when I was a schoolboy. After reading the essay on fairy stories in Tree and Leaf by J.R.R. Tolkien, I understood more clearly the importance of fairy stories and why they are not for children alone. Strength of My Heart, which is a good title, I think, could be called a modern fairy story, which wishes to reveal the dangers of being too bound to the world and material possessions and it also unveils a path to spiritual growth.
Written in confident, limpid, flowing prose, the book had an odd charm, which compelled me to read on. Its narrator is a young woman who begins her story not happy with herself, her family, her friends, her job, and is fearful that she might soon become redundant. Left alone in the snow one night, she leaves the ordinary human world behind and enters a world where live talking animals and humans together. Other than the fact that they can talk, there is nothing magical about Rabbit, Unicorn and Fox, the friends she makes in this world, but she does experience some magical moments.
As her heart is gradually thawed, warmed by love and friendship, during the course of her adventures, I found the book had the same affect on mine. So you could call it a heart warming tale, well told. It makes clear the dangers of materialism and reveals a path to redemption from it, through the simple pleasures of friendly company and love. Anyone who enjoys the world of the fairy tale will enjoy reading this book.
on 4 June 2014
When I downloaded Heather Murdoch's story, I wasn't sure it would be my cup of tea. However, I thought I'd give it a go and was surprised by how much I loved the story.

It started as a normal, every day story and was confused as to the cover and how this would turn into a fantasy. No fear, the author does this almost seamlessly that you do not even question the strange and magical world the lead character ends up in.

There's so much to like here and if you're a fan of Alice in Wonderland and other magical stories, then this will be right up your street. Highly recommended read, whatever genre you enjoy!
on 21 February 2014
This book shows that we are never too old to enjoy a fairy tale. Once I started to read it I didn't want to put the book down.

The story has great depth and many spiritual messages, and I for one can relate well to Bailey, as she begins to re-evaluate her life and her choices.

Thank you Heather for this lovely book and I look forward to your next one.
on 5 February 2014
This is fairy tale that brings a meaningful message in a comforting format. The safety of a "story" allows the message to gently reach the reader and nudge some of those thought processes we often try to hide away from. The grown up world is not always an easy road and sometimes we need to step away from reality in order to know the truth.
Easy to read and hard to forget.
on 11 March 2014
Searching for the kind of books I enjoy reading most, I'm really glad to have come across Strength of my Heart.

It's a lovely book with lots of hidden gems and I have already read it 3 times, each time bringing new perspectives. I lost myself in the story, to me, the sign of a good book and read.

Very happy to recommend this as a great little read. Do you have any more books to purchase? Look forward to the next one
on 8 February 2014
An adult fairy story with a heroine more worldy than Alice in Wonderland. She takes us on a journey through the mire of corruption & economic despair meeting intriguing characters that ultimately give us a hope for the future.
on 8 February 2014
I really enjoyed the experience of reading Strength of My Heart I felt I was part of the Spiritual Fairy Tale and I didn't want to put the book down. Well done Heather looking forward to reading your next book
on 13 August 2014
thoroughly enjoyed getting lost in the tale. would recommend this book to both adults and older children. wonderful journey.
thanks
on 5 April 2014
Strength of my heart is a magical journey of how you can find courage to change your life when all seems at its worst. The author whisks you through an amazing fantasy world that grasp you from the first chapter.
on 17 February 2014
Excellent book which took me with the characters on their journey. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Well done Heather, looking forward to your next ne.