on 27 July 2017
The journey of our two heroes, their characters never fail to keep me engrossed
The different mixture of backgrounds made it feel real
Looking forward to our heroes next adventure and how the Bailiff will like travelling in a foreign country
on 4 August 2017
Kept me on hot irons ,could not put it down.
on 17 July 2017
Couldn't get into book at all. Although I knew characters from past books just couldn't identify with them. Will try another book as love this author.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 December 2008
First Sentence: In the darkened room, the man's shattered body gave a final convulsive jerk.

Sir Baldwin Furnshill, Keeper of the King's Peace, and Bailiff Simon Puttock must leave their families and travel to the village of Gidleigh. The beautiful daughter of the town's miller has been found dead, the young monk, by whom she was pregnant, the obvious suspect. This wouldn't have involved Simon but that a miner has also died, and that is under his jurisdiction.

Upon their arrival at Wonson Manor, they find Sir Ralph is the new owner and his son Esmon in charge of a band of mercenary soldiers. Tension in the village increases as truths are exposed and more die.

Jecks is one of the better historical writers. There is excellent attention to period detail and a very strong sense of time and place.

All the characters are fully dimensional and well drawn. I like that the two protagonists' lives have changed through the series. They come through as real people with great strengths and realistic weaknesses and consequences. They are not the only characters who change, others do as well.

The story is very well plotted. Just when I thought I knew where it was going, it turned. I particularly liked that the point was made that small actions can have big consequences.

This was another very good book in an excellent series and I'm happy to know I've many more books to go.
on 25 December 2012
All of Michael Jecks medieval mystery novels are first class, particularly so if you know the area where so many are set - Dartmoor, Exeter. The time in which they are set (Edward Second) I knew nothing about, but have now become so interested in that time in history. The backgrrounds are authentic and the fictitious characters of Baldwin and Puttock fit in marvellously.
on 22 January 2016
Yet another fantastic book from Michael Jecks, haven't had a bad one yet. The stories are really well crafted to give you a look at times of old.
on 8 June 2014
I have already read this book, but i wanted it on my kindle, so that I could read it again.
on 17 August 2016
Love these books however I haven't read this yet
on 27 March 2016
Another good read
on 30 June 2014
Just received a recommendation for this title. Amazon apparently doesn't know that I have every title by Jecks. A remarkable author is worth collecting and reading.