Customer reviews

Chanson: The Space In Between
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 August 2003
Something about Barb Jungr seems familiar whereas I would say this is a highly original album. It's not that the material is unusual, there are oldies like "April in Paris" but one of her special abilities is to make every line hers. Like a skilled actress she manages to make you listen to every word,every phrase and imbues it with the meaning SHE wants to give it.
For a young woman she also manages to convey world-weariness at times during the album in a way that's shocking if you look at her. She enunciates very clearly but as her lyrics are both well-chosen and occasionally specially rewritten for her ("If you go away") then the words are worth it..........
There's nothing especially tricksy about the production but the recording benefits from that when her accompaniments are so beautifully judged.
I'm not knowledgible enough to compare her vocally with a wide range of singers but she does recall Marianne Faithfull for me, in what her voice can convey, however hers is technically superior to dear Marianne's. I also think of Glynis Johns' version of "Send in the Clowns" by Sondheim with the same actressy catch in the voice but Glynis was not first a singer and this woman undoubtedly is.
If you want to take a chance on someone in the tradition of European singers like Edith Piaf but whose album is resolutely neither retro nor nostalgic but fresh and relevant and joyfully, joyfully melodic with an undertow of emotions then this album will be a minor treasure for you.....
on 6 July 2006
When I saw the previous reviewer I just had to counteract. While I can accept this may not appeal to everyone "hideous" is not a word that could ever be applied to the amazing quality of Barb's voice or her individual and heartfelt interpretation of songs. Her later albums while interesting are not a patch on this excellent gold star classic. For anyone who enjoys "chanson" and the theatre of vocal performance, this is a must. I have listened to this so many times now and its pleasure never palls.

Fortunately we are all different but those who enjoy individuality and high quality talent should certainly listen to Barb Jungr.

Also check our Karen Akers for French chanson and keep an eager eye open for the work in progress CD of Brel songs by the quite incredible and unique Amanda McBroom
on 17 October 2001
If you remember Barb Jungr of one half of Jungr and Parker, sometime musical partners of Julian Clary, then a very lovely surprise awaits! This is an amazing cd,many familiar songs, some not so, interpreted by Barb in her own inimitable style. She is an excellent vocal stylist with a dynamic voice; I challenge you to remember the originals of these songs once you've heard her! If you get the chance to see her live then do-I guarantee you'll be knocked out by the power and humour of her performances. New translations abound on this cd, Ne me quitte pas is revisited very successfully, and La chanson des vieux amants is beautiful. Brel's les marquises and marieke are absolutely sublime-a real emotional ride.Sunday morning st.Denis is another stand out, especially when those bells ring! The recording is beautifully clear, making the most of Barb's exceptional voice. I can't recommend this cd highly enough!! It's one you'll never regret.
on 28 October 2001
This is the most exiting CD I've hard for years! Barb's voice is unforgettable, her interpretation of the songs superb. This is the best English version of 'Ne me quitte pas' recorded so far, and the same applies to all the translations of the French songs, of which she sings the definitive versions. Every track on this album haunts and you just have to hear them again and again. Barb Jungr is simply the best at what she does - none finer!
on 3 February 2013
A chansonier singing in English is a welcome phenomenon, particularly one such as Barb Jungr who not only sings the songs, but imbues them with her own emotional and musical magic. She picks the best translations of the words where possible, so that e.g., Ne me quitte pas regains some of the strength of its original Jacques Brel lyric - better by far than the Rod McKuen text with which we are all (too) familiar.

Some very fine playing by the musicians here, too - I'm particularly delighted with the accordion and string bass of Kim Burton and Julie Walkington that clip along so tight and light on Sunday Morning St Denis, Marieke, too, works well as a combined reminiscence of love and expression of Brel's love of his country, albeit in English throughout.

This is not a new album, although I can't see a production date anywhere, but it's a 'keeper' - Highly satisfying.
on 10 March 2004
I was given this album because of my interest in Jacques Brel's songs. He's never been especially well treated by the English, chanson-impoverished as we are. Here, however, there is magnificence, pathos and a serious respect for the original, while Barb Jungr manages at the same time to make the songs her own. McKuen's saccharine "If you go away" has been dumped - let's hope forever - for a truer and more passionate translation of "Ne Me Quitte Pas". The beautiful "Chanson des vieux amants" equally well performed and translated, and "Marieke" done very well too. Many of the other songs blend well with this set, though "April In Paris" is definitely not a favourite song of mine.
Only one wrong note in the whole album - the last "you" of the "Chanson des vieux amants" - that's quite an achievement.
on 15 September 2000
Barb Jungr, regularly lauded at the Edinburgh Festival and winner of at least one Perrier Award for wowing the critics there, completes unique translations of very recognisable French songs. Used as we are to hearing them in their original format, perhaps even knowing them by heart, it is a shock to the unconscious to realise the poetics weaseling their way into our hearts in the language of our infancy. Her vocals - deep, soaring, open-throated, altogether abandoned in some parts - are quite astonishing for their tricky ability to move us from casual listening to causal emotion. I give her 5 Stars: the only thing better is to catch her live....
on 2 December 2011
I first heard of Barb Jungr on a recent radio broadcast.The song featured was "Les Poets" and having listened to the track I became a fan instantly.I found out it was from the album "Chanson The Space Between".The whole album is wonderful and I enjoyed the arrangements.A very pleasing,easy listening set of songs that transported me to Paris.I especially enjoyed the violin and accordion.
on 24 May 2013
An excellent addition to my Barb Jungr collection. Only wish my French was better then I could join in all of it when noone was listening to me
on 13 May 2016
Barb Jungr brings her own unique style and interpretation to we'll known French songs. The words are a faithful translation from the French.