Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Best of 2017 Shop now Shop now

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 September 2017
But there’s nothing like this to be found. Records for dancing and singing and listening. Two LPs in an unfolding Album cover. 1973. Read the poetry of the lyrics of Bernie Taupin in your own time or along with the singing of Elton John. Own for growth.

To my surprise it opens quietly and into synthesiser sound but I’m soon in a familiar lament of a dead actress which also surprised me how well choral backing is used. Then a Live track change of tack as it brings to an end the first of four sides.

Then we’re greeted to the grand piano opening ‘When are you gonna come down’ of the title track’s young man putting his foot down with a woman. Free man. No dreams anymore. A double LP of a Big Sound.

The yellowed paper of each record sleeve ageing beautifully in a time of cold digital blues. Jamaica reggae drum and bass slaps down any Compact derisions. The stand-out new track for me of ‘I’ve seen that movie too’ dare I suggest vocals a little withdrawn on Production here?

Second record begins with ‘I’m back on dry land again.’ Where love is just a job and nothing is said. Seagulls cry in the end. Social commentary. If you feel it lags the Saturday Nights alright for Fighting should get you moving. But the whole thing ends as it should. With Harmony.

I could not bring myself to pay twenty seven quid brand new these days but took a punt on jamesfpringle amazon marketplace price of £7.25 including cardboard postage. Arrived great condition, long mark side two but not a scratch. New would improve a couple of orchestral bits but really I’m well pleased. Side two playing again. It’s a habit I have, I don’t get pushed around. Click, click, crackle, crackle. Get up to turn it around.
review image
on 24 April 2014
A review of the Super Deluxe Edition...

To some people, Sir Elton John never bettered this double album from 1973-74. For others, it's a patchy album loaded with hits in the first half and full of filler at the end. For me, it's up there with some of the great entertainer's best work and for the life of me can't see where there is ANY filler or sub-par songs. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", from here abbreviated to the acronym GYBR, marked the merging of all the various styles that Elton and Bernie Taupin had been trying out through the earlier years of their song-writing career. They'd had a few hits along the way but this had not been reflected in sales. This album is where it all gels. Perfect melodies, thoughtful & sometimes controversial lyrics, great production with a solid work ethic. The end result is one of the greatest double albums of popular music ever released. That's enough of my praise and opinions about this album. What's in the Super Deluxe Edition and is it worth the coin?

Disc one is the complete double album which fits on one cd. It's been lovingly remastered by Bob Ludwig. Read his name and say no more. You know this is going to sound like it did 40 years ago if not better. All good so far.

Disc two, "Revisited & Beyond". The first nine tracks of this disc are contemporary re-recordings/interpretations. I think this portion depends on a few variables. Do you like the artist responsible for the cover and their style of music? If you you are partial to a bit of The Zac Brown Band, Ed Sheeran, or Emeli Sandé (which I am) you might enjoy these recordings which, if you believe the blurb, Elton picked out himself. For me it's like a box of all-sorts chocolates and what I like others may not and vice versa. The one that stays closest to the original is Imelda May's take on "Your Sister Can't Twist..". All the other tracks have each artists distinct sound and arrangements with what I would kindly call mixed results. The remainder of disc two consists of some demos, single only releases and b-sides. Do not be deceived. There are some mega hits here such as "Philadephia Freedom", Elton's superb cover of The Who's "Pinball Wizard" for the film Tommy as well as the seasonal favourite "Step Into Christmas".

Discs three & four are the sugar for the fans and if you like live Elton as much as I do you're in for a real treat. Live At Hammersmith Odeon December 1973, recorded for and broadcast by the BBC, features nine tracks from the recently released GYBR album and a selection of EJ's hits of the time including Daniel, Rocket Man and a personal favourite of mine Honky Cat. To date there have only been five commercially released live albums and this is one of a handful of recordings featuring the original five piece EJ Band with Davey Johnstone, Nigel Olsson, Ray Cooper and the late great Dee Murray on bass. These two discs are almost worth the price of this set. It's such a joy to hear Elton performing these songs (in their original key) before he almost lost his voice for good at the end of the 80's. The master musicians are on fire as well.

Disc five is a dvd featuring the period documentary "Say Goodbye To Norma Jean And Other Things". It's vintage stuff and for what it is makes for interesting viewing but not what you'd call essential or fascinating. It's also unfortunately been edited and modified for this release (All images and references to John Reid and Elton's mum have been removed). If you're looking for a great doco on how GYBR came to be click here "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Classic Albums [DVD] [2001]". This very informative documentary was a bonus disc in the 30th Anniversary edition "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (+DVD)" with the album on two hybrid SACD's featuring a 5.1 surround sound mix which can also be found here "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" on Blu-ray audio as another part of the 40th Anniversary re-issue series.

If you're a hardcore Elton fan like me and are chasing some rare live stuff this Super Deluxe is what you need. If you are new to this album try the Blu-Ray audio via the link above or the other editions in the 40th Anniversary series "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" single cd, "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" 2cd deluxe or you can go old school with "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" on double vinyl. Whatever your format, it's all here.

"Harmony And Me We're Pretty Good Company..."
on 1 July 2017
Excellent to have a 5.1 edition, but what happened to all the other recordings that could have been given the same treatment? I could go on. OK, well, I will, just for a little while. First there was MiniDisc, which was killed off after Sony decided that it valued its back catalogue more than technology. Then SACD, also killed off. Then DVD Audio, a truly worthy format, killed off, of course. And finally Blu-Ray Audio (this one) lasted for all of 6 months.

Luckily there are still people who work tirelessly to bring 5.1 to us punters using DVD Video, and there's nothing wrong with that format at all except for the paltry size of the catalogue. Jethro Tull Stand Up Elevated is today's outstanding example. Only time till tell whether the music industry will ever really embrace quality when the likes of LPs and God forbid cassette tape are in the shops.

In ear headphones have a lot to answer for.
on 19 October 2014
Generally speaking I am not a fan of double albums. Usually I find that there are too long,have too much filler and there are so many styles that they never hold together. The White album, Blond on Blond, Stadium Arcadium and Physical Graffiti are example of this in my opinion. GYBR is different because it dose feel focused and every song offers something different While I will say Funeral for a Friend, the the 10 minute opener is a bit dragged out and tedious the good song vastly out number the bad, something I can't say about the White album.

There are many hidden gems such as the very catchy Social Disease and the sad but beautiful I've seen that movie too.
I wouldn't quite go as far as to say this is his best album but if your new to Elton this is a great place to start and it has stood the test of time.
on 18 June 2017
Just a class his his best album plus it's good bonus tracks some live you can't get these songs out ya head like, Rocket Man, Candle in the Wind, I was only a kid growing g up but I rember seeing him on tv hearing him on the radio & they still sound good that was his best album and he's good live in 1973 big up Elton
on 20 November 2017
I bought this album after seeing it featured on the tv series "Classic Albums". I was never a big fan at the time and was probably too young to appreciate this when it first came out. It arrived on time and in perfect condition - it was shipped overseas which can often be a little risky for vinyl. On opening it was free of any manufacturing artifacts. My other concern buying vinyl these days is the quality of the pressing and/or re-mastering. I need not have worried. The sound quality is up there with some of the best in my collection. I would recommend this to any vinyl buyer as a worry free acquisition.
on 8 October 2017
It is amazing to think that Elton John apparently wrote the music in 2 days.
There are some classic tracks on this and the styles vary so much.
Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding is but one example.
on 13 July 2017
This bought back many memories. Still love this cd
on 2 October 2014
I have several copies of this album including the SACD. I like this the best so far. Clarity and depth of sound & still has the warmth of the original analogue version with the added space and detail of multichannel surround sound.
on 4 September 2017
A good Elton CD, but the greatest hits is better.