Customer reviews

on 2 March 2014
Julie Fowlis' fourth studio album is surely her best yet. Gach Sgeul is a beautiful mixture of love songs and lullabies, fast and slow, tales of old and new, all of which are sung in Julie's native tongue. Danns' A Luideagan Odhar, Smeorach Chlann Domhnaill, Cadal Ciarach Mo Luran, Ribinnean Riomhach and Siud Thu 'Ille Ruiadh Ghallain are the best examples of this lovely musical tapestry. There is music to suit all moods on this album. Julie once again proves that music speaks to the heart.
on 5 November 2014
I bought this in preparation for seeing Julie Fowlis in concert this year as artists usually play a lot of material from their latest album. Both the concert and the album were excellent. Some of the best new music I have heard for years. I found some of the songs needed a few listens to get them - but these turned out to be my favourites. It is remarkable that almost 10 years into her recording career, Julie and her husband Éamonn Doorley are still creating music this fresh and original. Lets hope they continue.
on 28 May 2017
Very good album
on 9 March 2014
Darn you, Aly Bain and Jerry Douglas, for costing me yet more money! There was some delicious Gaelic singing from Julie and Karen Matheson on the latest, and so when I saw this, I just had to have it. And I'm glad - pleasantly sung, pleasantly played, and it somehow doesn't matter that I can't understand a blind word of what she's saying!
on 5 March 2014
Beautifully rich in tone and texture, this is a wonderful collection of songs, lovingly sung.
This is the first album I have of Julie's, I doubt it will be the last.
on 24 February 2014
The fourth solo release by Julie Fowlis is a real treasure. She has never sounded better and the beautiful arrangements and production of Gach Sgeul makes this possibly her best album so far. The opening track A Ghaoil, Leig Dhachaigh Gum Mhathair Mi is a lovely introduction. The musicians added to her already steller band are among the best anywhere and the playing is flawless throughout. Do Chalum is the track that stands out for me but every track is such quality.
A geniune classic from a golden voice.
on 29 July 2014
Sublime. Reminds me of Sissel a bit. Doesn't matter if you don't understand the language. When Enya sings in Irish or Sissel in Norwegian it just makes their voices sound all the more magical and that is what I found with this album. A big thank you to Nicola Benedetti for getting Julie to guest on her latest album otherwise I may never have discovered her.
on 14 April 2014
If you like the other music produced by Julie Fowlis, I would highly recommend this, her latest album. As with her other music, the combination of the interesting Gaelic songs with a stunning voice makes it a pleasure to listen to, and yet the album is unique in that it is different from the work that she has produced so far. It is well worth a listen.
on 23 May 2014
Bought this in Lochmaddy, North Uist (well, a release on Machair Records ought to be bought near some machair - sorry, Amazon!) the other day, while it was playing in the background.

As others have commented, I cannot tell what the songs are about (yes, I know, I could read the translations in the liner notes...), but am content to listen to the voice as an instrument in its own right...And a fine instrument it is too!

This is just lovely and is even convincing the strange woman I live with that there is some merit to Scottish traditional music (it's only taken me 25 years to get to this point, so thank you Julie Fowlis).

So, if this album can do that I am struggling to think of higher praise.
on 24 March 2014
A delightful album with great new material. She already has some amazing songs for encores when she plays live. I think that she now has another 11 songs that are set to become Julie Fowlis 'standards'.