on 18 October 2016
WARNING: This is the worst book I have ever read. And I've read 50 Shades of Grey. The writing style was terrible; the plot could've been interesting but was predictable, boring and ridiculous; and the editing was bad - there were so many sections that were pointless and so much repetition of paragraphs and thoughts, which annoyed me even more as I found it tedious to read the paragraphs and characters' thoughts the first time. Eventually I came to the conclusion that the characters must all be suffering from amnesia, that they felt the need to repeat themselves in every second paragraph. Every time I did become caught up in the story, Josephine Cox elected to use the word "Now" or "Moreover" - unnecessarily and for the 100th time - and it immediately drew my attention to the poor writing again. The only reason I read this was because it was chosen as our book club book for this month. And it pains me that I wasted time on this when there are so many well-written books out there that I want to get to. So please don't waste your time.
on 1 December 2014
Normally I enjoy Josephine Cox's books as a light read before bed, but this story was very wishy washy, no real plot, and errors in the story. First of all Martin drives off in his van and arrives home in his car, then Kathleen pretends she has phoned her aged aunt but earlier on in the story has told someone that her aunt does not have a phone. Shame really, such silly mistakes, seems like no-one checked the story before it went to print. It may be her 50th book, but I really would have thought it would have been better.
on 25 May 2016
I have read alot of Josephine cox's books over the years. This is one of her worst. She repeated herself so many time I got sick of hearing how much lucy had no life and cared for her family. No matter how many different ways you write it WE GET IT,SHE LONELY. Boring story with no substance, weak characters, felt rushed, like she had no real place for this story to go. So must for it being her 50th book. If I could take this book back to the shop I would. Let's hope her 51st book is better, will get it from a charity shop next time to avoid disappointment.
on 8 August 2016
Having previously read 2 of Josephine's books (which I found really beautiful) I was excited to read this and I didn't even read a few reviews before purchasing....I wish I had. It was so boring, I skimmed through most of it, the first 70% of the book (read it on Kindle) was spent showing why the woman would run away in the first place, it dragged on and on, and then when she finally did get away, the pacing of the events that followed took place at the speed of light! I have NEVER written a review before, but I was that disappointed, I had to :(
on 30 July 2017
Have been reading Josephine Cox's books for many years and love them all. Not sure about this one. Good story but I personally didn't find it as captivating as all the others. Read it and enjoyed it, but didn't get 'lost' in it.
on 4 February 2018
I have all this authors book very good reads, I have not read them all yet buy get them as they come out.
on 15 March 2015
haven't read one of Josephine Cox books in a long time and if this is what she is writing now will be a long time before I read another. It was so repetitive the everything was put into the last few pages not the Josephine Cox I enjoyed in the past. Sorry but I would not recommend this one.
on 25 March 2015
Bought these four titles Runaway Woman, Outcast, Lonely Girl, Whistledown Woman, for my mother who has meet Josephine Cox and always been a keen fan of her books. Josephine's books are always about the area she grew up in and still lives in, which is Bedfordshire.
on 16 April 2016
A lovely read, Ms Cox takes you through a tragic story? She turns it into a happy ending with twists and turns!!! Good read one you don't want to put down. Have never been disappointed in any of her books.
on 23 November 2014
Not one of the best books I have read that Josephine Cox has written and I have bought, kept and read almost all of them. Having said that I would thoroughly recommend her books and would buy more when written.