Customer reviews

on 19 December 2016
A fantastic album. Great vocals, powerful guitars and just one good song after another. Possibly Delain's best album
on 1 May 2017
A+
on 31 May 2015
Absolutely loving this and can`t stop listening to it
on 15 May 2014
I bought this with a little hesitation after being put off from the latest releases from other bands being so-so.

Delain have delivered a superb album yet again. Their songs are charged with social-political messages often shied away from by others. With strong riffs and powerful vocals this is certainly a gift.

Their overall sound has changed again from their last album but still sounds like Delain.
on 21 April 2014
As a recent convert to this genre of this music via Within Temptation and You Tube!. This band supported WT at a gig i attended and thus the research via the web. All i can say is to have found WT 3 years ago was good fortune to say the least but to find and see these live with WT. Good fortune x 2..Bought this album and three others by Delain in the last 7 days and cant stop playing them. Enjoy!
on 11 April 2014
With their 4th album, Delain manages to recreate the epicness of their first opus Lucidity while giving it a modern aspect, continuing the approach developped in the 3rd album We Are The Others.

The violins and classic keyboard are still here, as well as some choirs, but there are also a few electronic incursions, really heavy guitars (more than usual) on the 9 songs, even those that are mid-tempo (no ballad on the main CD), and just a very contemporary atmosphere coming out of the songs, as opposed to the classic atmosphere of Lucidity or even April Rain. Still, the epic is here, with some great orchestrations, and this is really symphonic metal, not watered down symphonic metal.
I think this modern side makes The Human Contradiction stand out among all the albums of this style.

It's great to have two new collaborations with Marco Hietala, who was missed on the 3rd album. Your Body is a Battleground and Sing to Me are the most epic songs on the opus with Here Comes the Vultures and Army of Dolls.
The single Stardust is simpler but quite efficient. Tell Me, Mechanist lets us hear again the powerful growls of George Oosthoek. My Masquerade and Lullaby are sweeter, but still really heavy, and have seriously catchy choruses (actually, I found the 9 songs very catchy right from the 1st listening). Last but not least, the beautiful duet with Alissa White Gluz (The Tragedy of the Commons), reminds me in a very good way of the song Shattered from Lucidity.

The 2CD version offers 2 new songs, a mostly piano-voice ballad (Scarlet) and a very energetic title (Don't Let Go), 5 live songs, and two orchestral versions (the duets with Marco).

In short: an highly catchy, heavy and modern symphonic metal album with great collaborations, both familiar and new. Really nice work from an underrated band.
on 29 September 2014
Very catchy and entertaining music. The album presents as more "pop" oriented than some of the European gothic -like genre, but that should not be taken as something ill. The lyrics are extremely clever at times. I discovered this quite by chance and am most pleased that I did.
on 18 May 2015
What a return to form, with Lullaby my favourite song of the year, an absolutel melodic slice of rock perfection, especially when the end kicks in. Intelligent, twisting songs which sometimes can take a few listens, this feels like a leap forward to me, a natural evolution and has firmly planted them as a band who should stick around for quite some time. My only very VERY slight criticism would be that sometimes I wish Charlotte would let rip a little more, she has a lovely melodic voice but occasionally I'd love to hear her really put everything into it. My favourite album of last year possibly, here's hoping Nemesea's impending album lives up to it :)
on 29 April 2014
It took me a while to get used to The Human Contradiction. Same thing happened with We Are the Others, which I felt was not like previous ones, but I grew to like it, and The Human Contradiction goes back to be "more metal", IMO. After listening to it many times, I like it a lot. The music feels complex and interesting.

The bonus disc is nice and IMO worth the extra price. Having the lyrics is also appreciated, but the red on black is hard to read. The box is too wide to store in standard CD storage, so I'm not sure where to store this album.
on 12 June 2014
I was apprehensive before I listened to the cd as I doubted Delain could produce three classic full cd's in a row. But the have, proving Delain have the best composer and female singer in heavy rock. This combined with a great rhythm section and production makes the cd sound great. More metal heavier gtr sound than their previous cd The Others, but the songs still remain melodic.
The special edition has extra studio, live and orchestral tracks with a nice double digi pack making it worth the extra cost.