Clara and Tommy are invited to stay with some distant cousins to attend a wedding. They do not know their cousins very well and the invitation is a bit of a surprise but as Clara has no urgent cases needing her attention they decide to go. It is soon clear that the family do not get on together with an outspoken Uncle, a stepmother who seems to be very unpopular except with her husband and a silent bridegroom. When murder follows a disruption at the wedding Clara finds herself involved in another investigation.

I thought this was the best book in the series that I've read so far and I really enjoyed reading it and trying to work out who was responsible for the murder. I didn't work it out until very close to the end. Clara is an interesting character and Tommy is taking a bigger part in her investigations too which I think adds interest to the stories.

If you're looking for a new historical mystery series then you could do worse than read this one. It is well written with believable characters and situations.
on 23 June 2016
I bought the whole series as easy, non-challenging, 'sun-bed' reading on holiday, and for that the books are ideal. Unfortunately, sloppy proof-reading provided more annoyance than pleasure - names of characters were transposed, a Captain became a Colonel before reverting to Captain, homophones were regularly confused (which is something I find particularly annoying) 'too' instead of 'to', 'passed' instead of 'past', 'know' instead of 'no', 'flare' instead of 'flair' etc.. I had the impression that the author was dictating into a computer and not bothering to check the text output.
on 9 May 2014
This is the third one I've read, and I really am sorry to say I was disappointed. There didn't appear to be the same get up and go which the author had expressed through out the two previous books. I finished it, I don't hate it, but I was disappointed. Shame
on 6 June 2016
Another excellent book and a thoroughly good read, just one small Critism though, there seems to be some expressions that may only have been used by the Americans in the 1920s such as I'll go fetch the police and I'll go see if I can find him, I think the phrases in England in the 20s would have been, I'll go AND fetch the police and I'll go AND see if I can find him. Other than that a very good book overall.
on 14 September 2016
I have now read the first 3 books in the series and am enjoying the stories, but the mistakes are frustrating, particularly towards the end of each book. It's a shame that they haven't been proof-read, but I will continue reading the other books in the series anyway.
on 22 May 2016
Completely unexpected family secrets are revealed in this exciting murder mystery. Clara and Tommy Fitzgerald are invited to a family wedding, only to be embroiled in solving a series of crimes. Another must for Miss Marple fans.
on 27 January 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed the second exploit of Miss Clara Fitzgerald. A good read which evoked the age beautifully and kept me guessing at the identity of the murderer almost to the very end. It was a fun, relaxing kind of read but despite this contained some incisive social comment on the mores of the time. I shall definitely be reading the next book in the series.
on 1 May 2014
I came across this series quite by accident, but really enjoyed the series, each book has a well developed plot and the characters develop in each book, Clara, her brother and Annie make a formidable detecting team and I am looking forward to the next one in the series,
on 19 July 2014
I enjoyed the story but for goodness sake get an editor and a proofreader. If you already have them, get different, decent, ones. The number of jarring mistakes in this book spoiled my enjoyment of it.
on 4 May 2014
A country society wedding turns into a murder investigation and the whole family are under suspicion. An entertaining old fashioned tale which was told well, fast moving and concluded with no lose ends. I would recommend it