on 3 November 2016
Although I bought the first book a while ago I only recently read it. I loved the book so much that I bought the other twelve books in the series and I have read them all within in 2 weeks, I couldn't wait to find out what happened next, the humour is brilliant, to the point you laugh out loud and everyone looks at you, but the heartache is just as emotional. Never mind the love stories, friendships and not forgetting the mysteries that get solved
on 26 June 2014
Could only give this book 4 stars as I didn't think it was as good as the others, however saying that, I still can't wait for November and the next release. Violet's character is getting worse every book and sister or not, no-one would put up with it. Joe has gone from despising Rose's behaviour to condoning it by being with her. In the other books, the love triangle kept me hooked and I even found myself thinking about it at work however this one has gone off the boil. I was always, be with Joe, no be with Mason but now I just think Joe is acting like a spoiled brat and there is something definitely dodgy about Mason, dump them both and be with Bruce! Overall I will be sorry to see the series come to an end.
on 19 September 2014
I have to say I am sad to be writing this review as I absolutely loved the other books in this series. I pre-ordered after reading the other 4 Rose Gardener stories so by the time I received it I had read many other books. When I started reading I thought something must have changed with my taste during the break between DGS books but once I finished I checked out other readers’ reviews and see that other people also noticed the change in style to the detriment of the series.

I found much of this book tedious to read and found myself scanning much of it. There is constant repetition not only of the events of the previous 4 books but also of conversations taking place at the time. Rose will have a conversation with Mason then Nealy Kate will arrive and the entire conversation is repeated for her benefit. I imagine if you take out all these repeats you would have around 2 pages per chapter.

I admired DGS for having created a couple (Rose and Joe) that had you rooting for them all the way through to then in an instant make you change your opinion about Joe and have you hating him. In contrast, the relationship between Rose and Mason doesn’t seem to have any momentum. Any piece of dialogue that isn’t a repeat of the page before is ruined by unnecessary innuendo so the relationship never shows any depth. Add to this that the book is based only 2 weeks after the end of book 4 (despite months of waiting for its release) makes their apparent love for each other very difficult to believe.

None of the characters were very likeable throughout the story. Joe now seems like a creepy stalker and Violet is just a bitch. The story has you questioning the point in several of the minor characters like Nearly Kate, who has lost all of her quirkiness and now seems to be just a weird friend whose purpose is just to fill pages with unnecessary words. At one point there is at least one paragraph dedicated to Rose texting Nearly Kate to tell her 'if I haven't called you in 30 minutes then text me' . Firstly what use is texting in that situation and secondly nothing even comes of this so how is this book worthy? At another point Rose leaves Masons take away lunch in the cafe then she goes back to pick it up. No value whatsoever to the storyline. She may as well have just taken the lunch with her and saved another 2 paragraphs of my time. There are many points like this that left me utterly frustrated at the end of the book and even though it has been several weeks now since I read it they still stick in my mind.

I still like to think I would give the series another chance based on the standard of books 1 - 4 but unfortunately the value has gone down for me. If the price is right for book 6 I might give it go but I'll be waiting for the reviews before I order this time.

Despite this negative review I would strongly recommend books 1 - 4 as well as other DGS books like The Gingerbread Man, Bad Ass Brides and The Texas Brand Series. She’s a great author. This book just seems a little rushed.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 May 2015
I have absolutely loved some of Denise Grover Swanks books. I would really highly recommend the Curse Keepers series. This series, however, is starting to become slightly ludicrous and the story is getting increasingly immature. One thing tumbling after another-the characters never get the ham e to grow or develop as they're merely tools to enable the constant (and unbelievable) chain of events around the main character. I started reading the series as a bit of light hearted entertainment...the first book left ,e wanting more immediately and so I jumped straight into the next...but as each book unfolds I've been increasingly less excited to read the next. This book has finished and I actually feel slightly grumpy at the thought of reading the next book so I think to myself that I won't bother...but in the first book I invested to the characters, to the series so it actually pains me a little to leave the rest of the series unread. The author of the Curse Keepers is an engaging, intuitive writer with a talent for story telling; the author of this series is slightly lazy and childish...writing by numbers perhaps?
on 10 August 2015
Slow to start, found this volume wanting. The plot could have really went somewhere. Quite a weak book. It was over before it started, quite an unfinished ending. I had to check I didn't skip a page. I found myself frustrated by some of the characters. It felt like they took s step back from the previous book. The stalker quality of one of them was more than I could bear only the vastly over used 'ornery' pipped it in the cringeworthy stakes. Iv never read a series of books where the only looks people give are ornery. Everytime!? Please use something else. This may seem petty but 5 books in its beyond grating, I find myself typing this with an ornery look that could only mean the death of me...
on 25 June 2014
This is the 5th book in the series and once again I couldn't put the book down once starting! The story continues with Rose and Mason together as a strong unit with Joe Simmons living and working in Henryetta and trying with all his might to win Rose back. The storyline was quick, fast paced and had a little murder, mystery and lots of humour thrown into it for good measure. Bring on Nov 2014 for the next one!
on 7 January 2015
Bought the first Rose Gardner book despite knowing nothing about the author, but I'm so glad I did! Has quickly become one of my favourite series of books. Rose is extremely likeable and relatable (psychic abilities aside). Is similar to The Sookie Stackhouse books, but I far prefer Rose to Sookie. The writing may not be very 'high brow', but the author is fantastic at character development and setting the scene, so it doesn't matter! Definitely recommend.
on 23 November 2016
the storylines are getting predictable which is shame. I really enjoyed the first two books...a bit of escapism. No more crappy doodles please. Sometime characters have to make a decision about which boyfriend they are sticking with...and let us all move on with our lives.
on 10 September 2014
She has done it again! Another book in the saga that I couldn't put down. Normally in a series there is always one book that disappoints but that is just not the case with the Rose Gardner mysteries. I love that Denise gets my heart racing to see what the characters get up to next and getting soft spots for the other characters except Violet (b#@*h!!). You will not be disappointed reading this series.
on 28 June 2014
I have waited so long for this book to come out and so excited when it did but I am so disappointed.

The last 4 books have been exciting with twists and turns and I didn't feel it with this one. There was a real thriller feeling about it but this book has let it down, no element of surprise and a bit predictable.

Its ending was really disappointing and I'm gutted that I have to wait until November for the next one. I only hope that it's a bit more exciting.

The series is great if you are about to start reading it.