Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New album - Matt Terry Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

The Planxty Collection
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 17 August 2017
They play traditional Irish music as it should be played. They have inspired me to play the mandolin(more accurately to try to play the mandolin)
on 13 August 2017
i have been a fan of planxty for nearly 20years
on 29 August 2001
This is an examplary "best of". It's amazing how much zing and energy comes out without drums and bass. I particularly like the way they play a song or tune and segue/zip into something else. I think this is one of the best folk records around and a superb introduction to the band. Anyone who likes Irish music will be impressed.
on 8 January 2013
What a stunning collection of tracks from one of the most celebrated exponents of Irish music. Each track is a gem but for me the two exceptional stand out tracks are: ' The Lakes of Pontchartrain' and the achingly beautiful ' As I Roved Out'. If your into folk music then this disc has to be part of your collection until you are able to buy each individual CD. Some of Irish folk music's finest moments without doubt.
on 7 September 2014
Bought as a gift, they said thank-you and have never complained since, so they are probably happy with it.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 September 2004
My daughter (hip hop, trance) used to ask me to play this on my CD when I took her home from School. I lost it for a couple of months because her mate (bass guitar in a heavy metal band) borrowed it and didn't want to give it back. And apart from some nifty bodhran in the background there isn't a drum or amplifier in sight. Yet this Irish folk music rocks so much in places that by the end I'm more wound up than listening to Led Zep and I punch the air as though Man Utd have just scored their seventh goal against Arsenal. Typically the music builds up with the uillean pipes pitching in to create a climax. The tunes are exciting and played with such gusto that I really have to bounce along. The percussive feeling is maintained by the strings - mandolin, bouzouki, guitar. Whistle trills excitably over the top of the whole thing. The singing isn't brilliant so I tend to give the couple of slow ballads a miss. I think this is a perfect crossover CD. It is authentic Irish folk music but will be enjoyed by a much wider audience (such as my daughter and her mates)
on 24 January 2014
I bought this album as an LP many moons ago but have been unable to play it for ages as I no longer have a turntable. Whilst rummaging through my old LPs I came across the album and decided to see if it was available on CD. I've now received the CD and have played it non-stop several times. This is Irish folk music by some of its greatest exponents, all in their prime. It sounds as fresh and energetic as when I first heard it. My particular favourites are Raggle Taggle Gypsy, As I Roved Out and Cliffs of Dooneen - but they're all great. In the words of the girl who stood weeping in the foyer of the Shaftesbury Theatre, realising that this was Planxty's final tour, "We'll never see their like again".
on 4 October 2014
An amazing collection of tunes. The Hare in the corn is wonderful. Listen to this music.
on 25 June 2016
Present for the wife who had the LP when we were courting 37 years ago. As good as ever although without the snogging that used to occur when the LP was played.
on 11 March 2016
Poor quality audio. Had to be returned.