Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.49

on 3 October 2016
Fortunately I stumbled upon Broken Bells while trying on some clothes in a fitting room in a Next store and just managed to 'Shazam' their song 'Medicine' before it ended. Since then I have gotten more and more into their sound and they have quickly become one of my favourite bands. I'm still slightly baffled that I hadn't (consciously) heard any of their stuff before - unfortunately this is probably a reflection of the way the industry is nowadays. That they aren't a lot bigger than they are is also puzzling because their sounds are refreshing and provide a new take on traditional genres while still appealing to a mainstream audience. James Mercer has an amazing vocal range which means he can pull off the lyrics to songs like 'Holding on for Life' while Brian Burton (a.k.a. Danger Mouse) provides dynamic musicianship on keyboards, drums and bass.

My favourites are probably 'After the Disco', 'Holding on for Life ' and 'Leave it Alone' but to be honest there isn't a single poor track on the album - a rare thing these days. The album is fantastic from start to finish, a true testament to musicians who know and love what they are doing. As someone who has grown up listening to his dad's vast music collection made up of The Grateful Dead, Simon & Garfunkel, R.E.M. and Bob Dylan just to name a few, I feel fortunate and relieved that there is still a band out there making music that isn't pure rubbish, repetitive or predictable.

Give these guys a listen - you won't regret it.
on 3 February 2014
I love pretty much everything James Mercer does so it was not a big decision to buy. The Shins last album Port of Morrow was a mixed bag but contained a few gems (simple song, rifle spiral) but this is top notch all the way through, and a better initial listen than the first effort with Danger Mouse. Highlights at the moment are Holding on for life, control and perfect world but I can imagine the other worming their way into my brain in no time.
on 12 April 2014
The first 3 tracks are for me the best 3 tracks on the album,and the title track,After The Disco, will be right up there with the best tunes to come out this year. If you liked the first album then this is a step further in the right direction,not perfection by any means but a very,very good album. Shins and James Mercer fans will certainly find it appealing.
on 17 February 2014
This is ok album, but generally I miss here stronger melodies and more synth work. The best song , in my opinion, is first one, and then a few songs are ok, but the other songs are just boring.
on 1 March 2014
Great CD. It takes be back to the disco era, refreshing sounds, will deffo buy further CD's when released !
on 23 February 2014
I bought this for my boyfriend for valentines day because he loves broken bells. And because I bought the CD, I got a free digital copy, which was cool. I've listened to it a few times, and I like it, despite the fact that it's not necessarily my kind of music. It came on time and in good condition, thank you.
on 11 March 2015
This is a difficult one: it sounds quite middle of the road and is easy digestible but the melodies are good and it has some funny references to well known bands like the Beegees. Don't analyze this too much but just enjoy the easy listening after a long day of work!
on 2 November 2014
Listened to this album on a flight back from Cancun recently and found it really easy to listen to - just had to buy it on my return to listen to it again. Hadn't heard of the band before but what a fantastic album, Its just lovely easy listening.
on 7 February 2015
What can I say? Apart from this is a must have record!! Simply beautiful and quite genius in my opinion. If you like Broken Bells get it now!
on 22 December 2016
Really nice album, a couple of stand out songs for me, such as "Leave it Alone" and "Control". I would definitely recommend