on 18 July 2014
V2 firmware has been out for ages yet they are still shipping with V1. Quite unhappy, the monitor is good but I can't perfect it to my preference with the blur busters utility, very sad.
on 16 June 2014
Monitor arrived today and it has V2 firmware pre-insatlled :).

Set up using Blur Busters strobe utility and it looks and performs great @ 120fps 120hz :)
on 5 September 2014
amazing monitor......everything is great for me.....if i had to flaw it, it would be the colouring. Its not really for designers and people who need colour in the visuals. This monitor is mainly for gamers but dont get me wrong, the colour is still great!!! more than enough for gamers...only serious professionals would find the colour not as good . btw, this thing took me 2 months wages to save up with my weekend job :P.
on 25 March 2015
best gaming monitor i had ever bought and used. 144hz is awesome
VINE VOICEon 26 August 2014
Really great monitor with a fantastic resolution. Fast and no ghosting at all.
on 26 November 2014
Great monitor even when sat next to my dell ultrasharp ips monitor.
on 9 December 2014
Would have given 4 and a half stars, but other than some minor annoyances, it is a brilliant monitor.

I was a little apprehensive spending £280 on a monitor, but I was not disappointed with what I received. I was worried that the refresh rate would simply be a gimmick and that the response time wouldn't be noticeable at all, but luckily I was wrong. The response time is fantastic and it feels incredibly natural, to the point that when using monitors at my University computer suites, they feel incredibly laggy in comparison and it takes a while to adjust. The refresh rate is something that has to be seen and felt to be appreciated. I play CS:GO at a reasonably high level (legendary eagle) and it has benefited me greatly, it feels so fluid, and it makes things like flick shots even easier.

For someone not used to big screens, this was a bit of a shock (in a good way). The picture is crisp at a 1080p resolution, I think any bigger than 24" might have bloated the image a bit. The brightness is something that immediately hits you. The smart-scaling feature is also very nice. It's the brightest screen I've used which is good for me, but obviously you can adjust it if that's not your preference. The colours did take a bit of tweaking; I would straight up not recommend using the benq software they provided, it was terrible and made everything look awful no matter what I did. Just adjust with the panel and NVidia settings and you should be fine. Despite being a TN panel, I never think to myself 'Wow, that looks really bland'. There is a good colour range once adjusted, obviously not IPS standard but more than enough for your average user. The stand is excellent, no complaints, very sturdy.

My big gripe however is with the menus on the panel. They are honestly bad. Even with the controller, it was not intuitive (if anything the controller made it worse). Sometimes the touch buttons don't pick up and you have to remove your finger completely for a good second before trying to press the button again otherwise it won't do anything. Sometime the buttons will input twice if you press the button for a millisecond too long. Scrolling through menu after menu to adjust settings is a pain too. Even after reading the manual through, I still don't feel comfortable using it. Another annoyance is the inconsistency. Sometimes when switching between the inputs (going from DVI on my PC to HDMI on my xbox), 1 button of the 5 buttons will represent one input, but other times, it will use the standard arrow system for the exact same input screen. Why is this? So annoying! I could go on, but ultimately, it's something small to an otherwise excellent monitor.

As someone who is usually very apprehensive to spend money, this was a great buy for me, and I would recommend it to any gamers out there, casual or hardcore.
on 1 March 2016
excellent gaming monitor, very pelased
on 30 December 2014
excellent monitor, very pleased.
on 12 May 2014
I am now completely sold on widescreen gaming! After using a 19" 5:4 CRT for more than a decade+ then trying out this screen it was simply W0wz0rz! to begin with. Although it still doesn't come close to the fluidity of a CRT, after using this monitor for 4-5 days I think I am willing to finally let go of my old desk-bending CRT and accept the small amount of blurriness todays panels offer. By small amount I mean a large amount if you are used to a CRT, but probably small(er) if you are upgrading from a older flat panel or have no experience of how smooth CRT gaming is/was. It's definitely noticeable to me and sometimes off putting seeing the white trailing/ghosting artifacts whilst moving around a landscape in BF3/4 or driving in F1 2013. After a while you do begin to ignore them as you focus your vision more to the center of the screen but every so often you will notice a large amount of white artifacting/trailing when moving around fast on screen.

What was a really amazing gaming experience was when I loaded up Half-Life 2 Cinematic Mod 2013, simply stunning when synced in @ 144HZ/144FPS. It had a much more 'real' feeling and look to it than I had ever seen/felt before in a video game and also extremely immersive due to the widescreen, I swear even my 5.1 surround sound setup sounded better!

Now to the part that made me very quickly realize it had to go back, the colors. The panel is a 6-bit +FRC to achieve the 16.7 million colours it advertises, this means dithering and dithering is bad, very bad. Color banding is very obvious no matter how long you spend tweaking it. In games and films you notice patches of squares bunched together of different color tones that really stand out as it can't display the correct variation of colors properly to give a smooth gradient in the image.

It also can't display the color black, at all, which to me was even worse than the dithering issue as any sort of games/movies with black/night/dark scenes in them (which is all of them) you completely lose all the details in the image and therefore ruins the atmospheric aspect and immersion of whatever you're watching/playing. Even when setting the brightness to its lowest setting it was still no where near to being as dark as the bezel is for eg. It's just a complete back-light bleeding nightmare and made the monitor completely useless to me. I am aware that it is advertised as a 'Gaming Monitor' due to its 1ms response time but that is a useless feature when the panel cannot even display a binary color such as black at all, not even close. Oh, and the black equilizer thing is completely useless as it cannot even display the color black to begin with, useless gimmick.

So my search continues, my next choice is going to be the Eizo FG2421 LCD Monitor with its VA panel and 5000:1 contrast ratio. As users have commented on just how deep the blacks go at various websites such as [H]ardforum. Response time is said to be marginally higher and a slight increase of input-lag but there has to be trade offs and for me having decent black levels is something I will not give up and neither should you. It seems all the kiddies these days are brainwashed into needing a gaming monitor endorsed by some U83R 1337 css player and therefore will magically give them the same skills, it will not.

In short, avoid this monitor if you value the color black and its power of immersion and depth it gives in games/films.
55 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse