on 18 May 2014
This is the "W7" update of the 2013 Smart TV model ending "653", which I bought last year so can directly compare the two.

First thing is the interface is far superior to last year's model, much simpler, and it'll work with the new (NOTE: OPTIONAL PAID-FOR EXTRA!) simpler touch remote that Sony have just released for an iPhone-esque experience. However, it comes with a slightly different remote to last year's model that they all now have the red "Netflix" button built in now that Sony have got into bed with them at the start of 2014, so it is the preferred streaming model over all the rest - to the detriment of the rest...

The W7 doesn't currently work (at time of writing in mid-May 2014) with the Amazon Prime app, thus the Instant Video service is not working at this time despite a couple of Firmware updates. If you click here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices/ref=hp_3757_compatible you'll see if and when it'll be added to the list. They seem to write the code every 6 months or so, thus I'm hoping Amazon will activate the app within the W7 by the summer-time 2014. They have giving me no date as yet, as to when that'll happen. That caused immense disappointment to me, thus in the interim I just opted for their "Amazon by Post" service and am hiring the Blurays out (coupled with a new Sony S3100 All-Region Bluray player) until I can stream.

I would also definitely recommended any UK folks to make sure they've a "WIRED" connection to the web with the Ethernet port in the back. If your BT Infinity / Virgin Media ADSL Router isn't near your telly, then I'd advise you get a "BT Broadband Extender" which works through your electricity supply rings around your house. Even with loads of micro-rings / micro-circuits in a modern-built home, it works BRILLIANTLY! My Wi-Fi fan signal on the Sony W7 went from a poor 2-bars to 5 bars instantly. BBC iPlayer now works superbly in HD due to the quicker connection.

Overall, the 42" W7 is a superb TV for value-for-money. Viewing it side-by-side with the other major players from Panny, Samsung and LG, Sony have a killer product here and the screen quality is NO contest over the other 3 manufacturer's equivalent £500-ish "Smart TV" LED models. If you can live without Amazon Prime for a few months (and they will update the Firmware soon), then you'll be rewarded with a killer telly that you'll be proud to have in your living room. A+
on 19 January 2015
This is a good TV and there should be no doubt about that. I think perhaps many reviewers have their own favourite TV makes. Whether this Sony TV is the best in its class may be more to do with a less objective view point but I think it can be very reasonable to say that this is at least one of the best in its class. And by class I mean a 42 inch or thereabouts smart LED TV for just over £400.
This is a very good price for a TV like this. The HD is very good and the SD is not all at bad once you get the settings right. I think that those reviewers who has criticised the SD picture may not have spent enough time adjusting their set and lets face it SD will never get close to HD so don't expect it. The adjustment possibilities on this TV are very extensive. At least 25 separate picture settings as well as `standard' vivid' and `custom' setting options and then there are `cinema' `sports', `animation' `games' `music' `photo' `graphic' and `general' settings all of which can have individual settings! These can be set differently for different inputs. For example if you watch a Freeview film, and you have it on the `auto' scene setting then the TV changes automatically to a different setting for `cinema', and if watch a sporting program it automatically changes again to a `sports' mode. And of course changes back to a general TV program setting when you change channel etc. So getting all these settings as you want them is important to get a good picture for different visual situations and not letting the TV processor make decisions for you that don't suit your preferences.
It has been mentioned else where that this TV is slow to boot up. Here's the FACTS. Switch on from cold and the last selected channel comes on in less than 5 seconds but you have to wait another 35 seconds before the set will respond to remote commands. However the manual controls, situated on the lower back right hand side of the set, do operate instantly. Switch on from standby and it is better and immediately responsive but only if the set has been off for no more than 5 or 10 minutes. Once fully booted you can flip channels normally and any reviewer saying the TV freezers after several flips must have a faulty TV as this is not a normal feature and does not occur on my set.
The navigation of options and settings can be more convoluted than is desirable. Requiring multiple key presses and scrolls to get what you want. However, with so many options to choose from then inevitable there has to be lots of possible scrolling etc.
Criticism of the sound I feel is a bit unjustified for a slim LED TV. Considering only 8 watts per channel this TV has a lot of punch. Again sound adjustments, which are various and input differentiated, needs some time to get it as you want it. Up to half total volume, which is I feel more than adequate for a normal living room environment, the sound is very good. Beyond that some distortion starts to occur which becomes unacceptable at max volume but I can't think why anyone would want to listen at that level unless they were near deaf or wanted to annoy neighbours! The sound is not only loud enough but it has good clarity up to mid volume. Again, get the settings right first.
Another criticism I have read is the viewing angle. There is nothing unusual here and at 178 degrees it is fine and as good as you are likely to get in this class.
It has an external transformer power pack and the lead is 2 meters long and plugs into the right hand side of the set looking from the front. You might want to bear this in mind.
The stand is made of a strong solid polished alloy and does its job well enough and looks stylish. There is only 6.5 centimetres clearance between the bottom edge of the viewing screen and the surface on which it stands. Not enough for a sound bar without blocking the remote IR receiver. Separate sound settings for wall mounted and table top positioned. On top of all this the TV is supposed to adapt the picture to the ambient lighting. Haven't really noticed this but that does mean it is not there.
Initial set up is straight forward as is fitting the stand. The instruction book that comes with it is very thick although this is only because it is in so many different languages. Basically it is useless and tells you virtually nothing. However the i. manual, accessible through the TV, covers all you want to know but maybe not quite enough for technical buffs. I suspect there may be some omissions in it. For example, initially I could not find `picture in picture' not that it needs much instruction. Oddly, the P in P and P and P are not found in the `setting' menu as one might expect but are under the `options' menu from the remote. P and P are flexible and easy to use.
I initially had a problem trying to adjust settings when viewing from my DVD recorder input (HDMI 2) as it kept switching to the DVD setting screen and not letting me access the TV settings for that HDMI input. (By choice I had linked the TV and the DVD recorder). I found that with the DVD image on screen, by first pressing `i.manual' then `home' on the remote, I got into settings and anything else I wanted, although not `options', (eg P and P are under `options' and I cant access that when viewing DVD input without having to switch back to TV mode first and then select P and P and then change main view to DVD input. A bit of a convoluted drag!).
An irritation for me is that there is no standby light that stays on, so with the TV off you wouldn't know whether it is in standby or switched off. As the standby power consumption is so low, (power saving is another user adjustment), I guess leaving it in standby is expected and I think unless you do then you may get the full EPG up date. That said, initially I only get about 36 hours ahead EPG when first turned on. Once the set has been on for an hour or two I have the full 8 day EPG guide for nearly all channels although there are still odd gaps that seem to need longer to get the info. This then happens again the next day, so I had lost EPG data! I have asked Sony about this and surprise surprise their answer is turn it off at the mains, wait a minute and then turn it on again and do a factory reset and retune the channels. My suspicion is that the respondent Googled the problem and repeated what other users had blogged. I certainly found that advice on line. Incidentally it didn't work. Not really a problem for my set up as my Panasonic DVD recorder always has the full EPG and I use that to program recording ahead. The actual Sony EPG has fast navigation and clear well displayed information. There is the option of selecting `Search and Guide' and this gives internet downloaded extra information on programs and always has the full 8 day ahead data from the outset. Again irritatingly the format between the two guide options is different. One horizontal the other vertical. It could have helped continuity of usage for the formats to have been the same. Sound from currently selected channel remains on while using the EPG but there is no thumbnail picture as well, just a vague greyed-out image in the background.
There is no SD slot but there are USB 2 slots that are easy to access on the side.
I have plugged in my digital camera, to the HDMI 1 slot, and the pictures are fine with usual controls through the TV remote. I am not a `gamer' so can not comment on games use at all. Wi Fi internet set up was easy and again I hardly use movie downloads or apps so I can't really offer much comment on them at this stage. However responses seemed fine. There appeared to be a vast number of available apps most of which seemed obscure to me. Netflix is directly accessible from the remote.
In summary then this TV has an excellent picture and good sound for average use. All of which you have extensive control over. It looks smart in my view and can be bought for a very reasonable price. John Lewis are equal on price plus you get a 5 year guarantee. There are a few down sides particularly the slow boot up and the EPG if that proves to be common to other users but can't be sure of that. It is versatile and reasonably suited to current day usage. I would not hesitate to recommend purchase.

UP DATE.
I have now found that after turning on from cold you can operate the volume and channel up/down buttons on the remote without waiting the 40 seconds for full remote operation. The TV will respond as long as you let the station banner to first load which only takes a few seconds.
on 18 April 2015
Excellent.

Time to move on [and upwards] from our 3 year old Panasonic. So I decided to return to Sony again and I am not disdappointed. The picture quality is absolutely stunning in HD. But be aware that older non HD programmes especially from the U.S. look worse!. That said, I have to confess to being totally bowled over by the picture quality of the remastered Star Trek Next Gen and Voyager episodes. The former were always muddy and dark. No more! They are bright and crisp in HD and have reignited my interest.

The only downside that I could report if I was so minded, would be that the wonderful and oh so simple stand makes for a non standard and somewhat insubstantial wall mount solution. I looked at the Sony adapter and discounted it on cost and below average reviews. Instead I went for the AVF P6441 adapter. Unfortunately, AVF advised they were out of stock. The reason being that John Lewis had purchased their entire stock. The good news was that they were also selling at the same cost as AVF direct [£25]. So, I ordered one from John Lewis on line late Thursday afternoon for collection from my local Waitrose the following day. Text message received at 11.00 Friday to say it was there. Incredible service and highly recommended.

One other aspect was the numerous comments regarding sound. I have to say that I am equally surprised that the sound is way better than expected. Certainly a massive improvement on the 3 y/o Panasonic and once connected to the home theater - WOW.

Conclusion:

GREAT
on 26 April 2015
Love this tv. I'm not a big techie, but as far as I can see the picture quality is superb. I play my PS4 on this and watch my SkyHD and am still impressed with the quality even after a few months of using it.
Also has access to netflix which is a real bonus. One button press and Netflix loads up. Really easy to use and quick enough. A slight problem I have noticed that sometimes after using netflix for a while I go to watch a different film or show and a millisecond after the show starts netflix will switch off and I will be back on normal tv. Not sure if this is a netflix issue or a tv issue but it's only a minor problem.
I also connect my harddrive to the tv and it works really well. All the files are laid out nicely and as long as you have labelled your files correctly then it's pretty easy to find what you are wanting to watch. Any subtitle files also work too, although I think I have to maybe change a setting or two for the tv to recognise that there was a subtitle file.
Issues? I guess the issues are the same issues you probably get with all slim smart tvs like this one. The sound quality isn't great since there is little bass from the slim body. The box that the tv comes in even says on it that a subwoofer is recommended. There is also that 5-10 second delay when first switching on the tv where you have to wait before it becomes fully functional.
Overall though I highly recommend this tv.
on 25 July 2014
This TV has a superb HD picture. The very small bezel is barely noticeable when you're watching the TV but I think the black bezel is better still in this respect. The sound quality isn't great but you can pair it with a Sony wireless subwoofer which makes a massive difference. Access to online content is easy with the built in Wi-Fi working well. The usual apps are available including Lovefilm, iPlayer and Netflix. All work well. You can also record directly onto a USB stick which is a really great feature. Overall this is a qood quality and good value TV.
on 4 July 2015
Decent picture and a decent range of Apps. However as a very flat panel the speakers are rubbish. I Invested in a Sony Soundbase...What an improvement. Don't bother with a Soundbar unless you mount it on a wall, the stand is so shallow that a Soundbar obscures the receiver for the remote control. Using a Soundbase raises the TV a few centimetres and allows the remote to work.
on 31 January 2015
Right I've had this TV for a day or two now and here is my very early review/impression's on this TV. I bought the 42" model in black and also bare in mind this is an upgrade from my 6 year old 37" LG LCD TV and i mainly use my TV for watching videos like YouTube and BT Sport through my Chromecast and game through my Xbox One. I do not watch regular TV so i wont be commenting on that aspect.

How it looks...
I myself really like the look of the TV, hence why i bought it. The stand seems very strong for what it is considering its such a thin piece of metal. The TV itself is very light and also thin. The metal around the edges looks and also feels nice defiantly gives it a high quality look and finish.

The picture quality...
The picture on this is stunning, one thing that i notice is that the blacks are actually black for a change, the colors look brilliant and overall I'm impressed. I did look online for custom settings to try and get a more neutral panel because that's what suits my tastes. Gaming on this TV is brilliant also, nice and smooth and the image looks great, i do not use any of the built in image enhancements features while gaming and its still looks great. I mean you can't go wrong, the only way i think you could improve on this imagine is by going 4K, granted there is TV's out there with a more accurate color panel and contrast etc but they will only be minor improvements.

The sound...
I read a few reviews about the sound on this TV and loads of people claimed it was poor, however i consider myself a very keen audio person (I like the best sound possible) I think the TV's sound is good enough, I'm using it in my bedroom however and not in a large living room which may be why but for a average bedroom size the sounds seem above par.

The smart part of the TV...
I did not buy this TV for its smart TV features as i have my Chromecast to play YouTube videos and Netflix and all the rest. But i did test it out and i have to say like most of the reviews have said, it is a bit slow and clunky to use. The apps to look awful compared to the apps on your smartphone and they are slow to load. I didn't see this as an issue as I'm never going to use them which is why i didn't care about it before i bought the TV. However if you are someone who will use these features then possibly look for a more faster/smother experience as i can see it getting tiresome if you are using them everyday to stream movies and videos.

Overall i like this TV and would recommend this TV to almost anyone that is looking for a TV in this price range. It's good for gamers with a very low input lag, the picture is great and it looks modern and stylish and also very simplistic. So if all those tick your boxes don't hesitate to buy this TV.
on 14 June 2015
I've had this television for less than a day and I'm already loving it, the picture quality is absolutely brilliant, the apps are superb..the remote is a bit fiddly... Still...best TV I've ever owned.
on 15 April 2014
I was amazed when I unpacked it how thin and light it was and hos easy to attache the multi-function stand.

I turned it on and set up my wireless connection in seconds - as requested I pressed the WPS button on my Asus router and it very quickly connected it to my network.

Setting it up took a bit longer as the menu system is a bit confusing and it took about 30 seconds from start up before I could use the remote. Connecting to my SKY+ box, Sony Bluray player and Samsung Galaxy SIII phone was simplicity itself as the connection of my laptop and my son's X-Box. The Apps area is also a bit confusing. Like any new system however you eventually get used to the way it works (a bit like Windows 8).

Both the picture quality and the viewing angles were VERY impressive and I love the way the thin bezel edges make it look like the picture is floating in mid air.

The main let down is the sound - while not expecting much from the new thin LED screens I was expecting a bit more but the rear facing speakers don't really help. I was expecting this so just connected my soundbar and everything now sounds great.

I can thoroughly recommend this TV but feel you should get a soundbar or connect it to hifi speakers to get the very best out of it.
on 3 November 2014
excellent value for money, top quality tv i like the freeview hd facility which offers big improvement in picture, overall excellent picture good size but not too big great with blu ray player sound is an improvement but I use orbitsound soundbar anyway all for under £500. there are cheaper options but this will last