Customer reviews

GACH SGEUL - EVERY STORY
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 March 2014
Julie Fowlis' fourth studio album is surely her best yet. Gach Sgeul is a beautiful mixture of love songs and lullabies, fast and slow, tales of old and new, all of which are sung in Julie's native tongue. Danns' A Luideagan Odhar, Smeorach Chlann Domhnaill, Cadal Ciarach Mo Luran, Ribinnean Riomhach and Siud Thu 'Ille Ruiadh Ghallain are the best examples of this lovely musical tapestry. There is music to suit all moods on this album. Julie once again proves that music speaks to the heart.
on 5 November 2014
I bought this in preparation for seeing Julie Fowlis in concert this year as artists usually play a lot of material from their latest album. Both the concert and the album were excellent. Some of the best new music I have heard for years. I found some of the songs needed a few listens to get them - but these turned out to be my favourites. It is remarkable that almost 10 years into her recording career, Julie and her husband Éamonn Doorley are still creating music this fresh and original. Lets hope they continue.
on 14 April 2014
If you like the other music produced by Julie Fowlis, I would highly recommend this, her latest album. As with her other music, the combination of the interesting Gaelic songs with a stunning voice makes it a pleasure to listen to, and yet the album is unique in that it is different from the work that she has produced so far. It is well worth a listen.
on 29 July 2014
Sublime. Reminds me of Sissel a bit. Doesn't matter if you don't understand the language. When Enya sings in Irish or Sissel in Norwegian it just makes their voices sound all the more magical and that is what I found with this album. A big thank you to Nicola Benedetti for getting Julie to guest on her latest album otherwise I may never have discovered her.
on 7 February 2016
Production values are high on Julie's songs, and she delivers beautifully. Only downside is the small number of tracks, and the downbeat feel to most of the numbers. The Gaelic (which we don't understand) is probably all to the good, as the lyrics when translated can sound rather trite.
on 28 August 2015
This is my first experience of Julie Fowlis and I am not disappointed. Her voice is excellent and entirely in keeping with her chosen genre.
The songs are all Scottish gaelic folksongs and it matters not that I don't understand a word. The sound and the melody of the backing with Julie's own voice make it a really pleasant and relaxing listen. I am sure I will add more to my collection in future.
on 5 March 2014
Beautifully rich in tone and texture, this is a wonderful collection of songs, lovingly sung.
This is the first album I have of Julie's, I doubt it will be the last.
on 3 February 2018
Wonderful voice. Very evocative music even though I can't understand the lyrics. love it.
on 7 January 2018
A must have to add to your Julie Fowlis collection.
on 31 May 2014
Julie is amazing.

Don't be put off by the fact she sings in Gaelic.
If you like traditional Scottish (or Irish) folk music then give this a try.

Even if you don't know Gaelic (I don't) she sounds amazing.