Customer reviews

Empire of the Undead
Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 31 March 2014
If there is one thing you can say about Gamma Ray it's that they have a knack for being reliable. They never release (or at least what I would consider) bad music.

This album is not going to set the world on fire but it is a good effort. The songs are quite catchy, have great solos and catchy riffs. There are a few stand out tracks "Hellbent" "Palerider" and "Empire of the Undead". They're old school heavy metal at it's finest, pure balls to the wall!

Any heavy metal fan would do good to pick this up.

(Hopefully they will release a special "Wig" edition so we can have the same charming head warmer that is currently being used by Kai Hansen. :P )
on 26 September 2017
I love Gamma Ray and Kai Hansen is one of my all-time favorite musicians.

However this record really is one of the weakest in their/his career.

While there are a few good moments here and there, I cannot in good conscience recommend it to anyone but the greatest of Gamma Ray/Kai Hansen fans.
on 8 April 2014
This is their best album since No World Order. Super-catchy power metal that is simply head and shoulders above anything else recently produced in this genre. Truly hellbent for METAL, straight from the heart!!!
on 12 June 2014
Another great album and probably their best for years. Not sure how any metal band could generate anything better than "Pale Rider" or "Avalon" as sing along anthems. The dual guitars just work so well.

I was a little worried that the change of drummer would make the band sound different, but it does not.

Truley an album that can stay on repeat play for ages and you feel no need to change it. :-)

In ten years time I can see this being one of my most played GR albums (unless of course they bring out something even better between times).
on 20 October 2014
This is my favourite album for many years! I grew up with hard rock on the 80`s and 90`s like Helloween, Maiden, Accept and Savatage and this one takes me back in time! The voice of Kai is just great and the tracks are various from a bit slow one with Avalon to my favourite and speedy "I Will Return". Unlike many other albums of this year, i dont get tired of this one. This album will give me many many great hours of listening! And for those who also care about sound quality; It makes my Klipsh speakers work very well:)
on 4 April 2014
Gamma ray always deliver a no nonsense rock album.
After many years of being a fan, the guys never seem to let me down.
This is no different with Kai Hansen at the helm steering the steady ship.
There is a mix of hard rocking tracks like Hellbent,Pale Rider to softer tracks like Time for Deliverance.
I f you like bands like Iron Maiden,Helloween,Judas priest then check this guys out!!!!
on 6 April 2014
We love you Gamma we do, we love you Gamma we do, we love you Gamma we do OOOOOOOh Gamma Ray we love you !! They have delivered yet another awesome CD, yet to watch the dvd part but the new drummer is awesome and the songs fab ........ just wish Gamma Ray would perform more in the U.K
on 31 March 2014
Firstly there are 3 versions of this album, the mp3 download area doesn't have the opening track Avalon (album only) then there's the CD version (with 11 tracks 10+1 Bonus!!!), then there's the CD+DVD version (with 3 extra CD tracks, but they are " Live recorded from the Studio Session - Avalon, Empire of the Dead, The Spirit) the DVD is Studio sessions, Promos, Interviews, 3 Live tracks from Skeletons & Majestics Tour (1. Gamma Ray 2. Wings of Destiny 3.Send Me A Sign).

Well I bought the CD only version (and got the mp3 download thrown in, which does download the 1st track Avalon).
It's typical Gamma Ray album, so most of the tracks will blend in Live at a concert. But I can't get over thrilled about it just yet.
The outstanding tracks for me are Avalon and I Will Return, and then Seven, Born to Fly, but on first listen, there are too many mediocre tracks for me to get too enthusiastic.
on 18 April 2014
We need more bands like this, real music with feeling. every track is fantastic. cant stop listening to the track Avalon. Brilliant album :)
on 5 May 2014
Great album, definitely the best of last 3-4.

I like some diversity in my Gamma Ray, and that's just it!