Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 May 2007
I'm a big McCartney fan too, but can't say I rate this album much. Yes, it has several little gems (Winedark Open Sea, Golden Earth Girl) that would have sat well on his late seventies Wings albums, and the production is good if a little clean. But there are plenty of duff tracks here as well - McCartney just does not do protest songs as well as Lennon, even if he is being sincere - Looking for Changes is as bad as the dire post 9/11 Freedom. And he's also never been able to out do Lennon on an I am the Walrus type song either - Cosmically Conscious is pitiful. I would never play this album to any mates I was trying to persuade to get into Paul's music - this album would only confirm all they already thought about him. Advice - steer clear and get the seventies stuff or his more recent albums from 98's Flaming Pie onwards - much better!
on 11 March 2002
One of Paul's favourite 'Maccaisms' is the word 'anticipointment' and if any of his work ever embodied what anticipointment is, this CD sums it up nicely. 1989 had seen Macca release the superb 'Flowers In The Dirt' and tour the world in style. 'Off The Ground' looked like it had the potential to follow up 'Flowers' nicely, but disappoints on almost every front. Some of the lyrics test even the most die-hard of McCartney fans (and I include myself as one!) and the performances and production are sloppy in comparison to earlier solo albums.
In its defence, there are some beautiful melodies to be found on the album, particularly 'Winedark Open Sea' and 'Golden Earth Girl', but this is an album born of touring - a collection of songs that might pass muster in a stadium concert but soon irritate the home listener. It's not BAD - just lazy.
on 6 July 2014
Enjoyed it.
on 21 May 2014
I love the songs. This is a happy album. Yes I have recommended the album to other fans. Who will see the survey.
on 11 November 2015
I very much like this Paul McCartney album it has some good catchy songs on here.
on 25 April 2015
Very happy , another switch to CD. What can I say its Paul, love him!
on 6 November 2014
I found it at last
on 26 February 2015
very good album
on 15 November 2003
When I first heard this I could not believe my ears. It was Paul McCartney making an album that sound like a Paul McCartney record should sound like: sophisticated, brilliant, influential and practically perfect in everyway.
It starts off with the title track and what a record. Paul's voice sounds so in tune, the people playing the instruments sound so comfortable and it could not be a greater track. This and 'Looking for Changes' are my favourite tracks on the album. It makes you think and realise that what Paul is saying is really what we should be doing: we should be treating our fellow creatures a lot better. A lot of the other tracks that I would propose as amazing are 'Peace In The Neighbourhood', a track that not only pleases the ear but allows us to think that perhaps we would all live in a better world if we just had peace. The other two great tracks are the last two. Not only are they some of the most influential music of the 1990's, but it is also some of Paul's greatest production since Band On The Run.
There is a lot going for this album. Once you put it on, you realise that you have got something for your money and you are not thinking how it would have been better to stay in and spend it on drink. Putting 'Off The Ground' is even better.
on 13 September 2011
Another very good but not brilliant McCartney album!
Well worth a listen!!
If your a true Macca fan you won't be able to resist!!!