Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Fitbit Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now

on 20 June 2016
Beautiful version of this famous wonderful book of wisdom for life. It is the perfect size, with gorgeous colour illustrations, bright gold edging on all the pages, and there's even attached, a lovely cherry-red book-mark ribbon. An amazing gift at such a cheap price and for an utterly life-transforming book by the great Kahlil Gibran, who died so young, at 48, having given the world a great gift, with this rich legacy.
I bought this book for a friend and then couldn't resist getting one for myself.
on 11 July 2014
This is my "desert island" book which I refer to over and over again. I must have bought hundreds of copies over the years as I always end up giving mine away when people fall in love with it. I find it a place to find not only deep wisdom but simple guidance on daily life, it restores my spirits and my soul. I have been asked to read"On Marriage" many times at friends weddings, and I refer to "On Work" when I hear folk moaning about jobs and careers. My copy is never far from reach.
on 26 March 2014
A very short book, only 133 pages published in 1926. To be honest I have no idea why I downloaded this. I have a vague memory of listening to a radio programme on the author some time ago, which I found interesting, so it must have been that! Gibran is described in Wikipedia as, 'the third best selling poet of all time, behind Shakespeare and Laozi.'

The book is written in bible-esque so if you are not a fan of that or indeed of religion it may not be a book for you. On the other hand and bearing in mind this was published in 1926 almost every passage can be related to every single one of us and our lives today.

There are no chapter numbers in this short volume but they are defined by the questions asked of 'The Prophet' by the assembled town folk as he prepares to leave them, returning to his 'home'.

Marriage
Prayer
Pleasure
Religion
Death

So many of the words written by Gibran over 80 years ago, must surely, if you are tempted to purchase this book, resonate with something in your life today and his simple but reasoning outlook will remind you to step back and reflect on how you look at life and maybe think that there is something that you can do to change, for the better, on how you interact with others and with yourself!

I'm not saying that I have had a religious or moral epiphany while reading this book, I personally still have no idea whether I am an atheist, agnostic or just a plane old fence sitter waiting for something different or better to come along, if that is indeed possible. I did write somewhere in regard to the Bible, and I suppose in the same tone the Koran would be included, that I look upon the former as a good novel and if only more people would read it (them) without the religious zealotry and bigotry surrounding it (them), the world would probably be a far better place for all humankind, but that aint gonna happen. But that should not take away from the fact that there are important life lessons in these works that are as relevant today as they were when they were written, as Mr Gibran's words, I believe, fall firmly within that description.

Enjoy.....

Editing for Kindle: 4 out 5
Reading Enjoyment: 5 out of 5
Plot:
Overall Rating: 5 out of 5
Chapters:
Page length: 133
on 13 August 2014
This is one of the most magical books that invites the reader to consider spiritual issues without being overtly 'religious' . Some of the writing on 'children', 'marriage' and suffering is very powerful indeed. for example - on marriage:

Let there be spaces in your togetherness, And let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another but make not a bond of love: Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup. Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf. Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone, Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music. Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping. For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts. And stand together, yet not too near together: For the pillars of the temple stand apart, And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow
on 17 May 2017
This is the greatest book I've ever read, by far. The writer's poetic words direct the reader to the nature of life and hints at attitudes that can help us manage and make sense of our human condition. I have bought many copies, over a few decades, for friends, and recommended this to read for many clients. I think it is a gift to be able to express something difficult (life) so beautifully, and with so few words.
on 10 September 2010
I was given a copy of 'The Prophet' twenty-something years ago as a birthday gift from a friend; at that time, I thought it was really 'interesting', had some lovely lines in it, and I admired the pictures. Since then, it's lived quietly on my shelf unopened.....until a few months ago. Having read it again at this age, I've come to realize what a truly beautiful and deeply inspiring book this is. Gibran writes so honestly, soulfully, all with such compassion and poetry that demonstrates his remarkable gift for exploring, understanding and sharing his experience of the human condition. It's this then that prompted me to buy this beautiful copy as a birthday gift for someone close to me now, and I hope that they too will enjoy and appreciate this lovely little book as much as I have. It's a book that can be read cover to cover, but it's real pleasure and strength for me, is that it can also be 'dipped into to' whenever you feel the need for a little inspiration or comfort, as I have found myself often doing in the last couple of months or so! I know that this book will continue to be a source of pleasure and comfort throughout my life, and I'm so very glad that I opened it's pages again. I would highly recommend anyone seeking something similar to buy this wonderful little book for themselves and/or for loved ones.
on 17 March 2014
I was looking for an extra-special version of this favourite text, to give away as a present for a key birthday to someone who has everything..... and it did not disappoint. It is sumptuous in its presentation, with detailed, evocative illustrations and this version, being bigger than most copies, is indeed extra-special. Both giver and receiver were delighted.
on 10 December 2012
The words are superb and deserve 5 stars without fail. The size is on the small side (6" by 4") and I was disapointed that it did not include Kahlil's own drawings which compliments his words as in my own earlier edition The Prophet. There is a very comprehensive introduction of 11 pages which puts his life and work in context and it has a ribbon page finder and gold edged pages. The Prophet has an answer to many questions we come across in life and you will never tire of returning to this wonderful text.
on 27 May 2014
Like other people, I've had loads of paperback copies of The Prophet and over the years I've given them all away to people who were intrigued by quotes from it. This is a lovely copy, with beautiful illustrations, and feels more in keeping with the quality of what's written in the book! You can't review a book like The Prophet - its simple, uncompromising lessons for life are either your cup of tea or not, but at least I won't be giving this copy away! Lovely.
on 1 November 2016
I chose the exact copy of The Prophet that I had been given in the 1970s, because I had passed that copy on to a young friend. I am passionate about Gibran's verse and never more so than in The Prophet.