Customer reviews

New Acoustic Sessions, Vol. 5
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 13 April 2013
At the time that I am writing this review, there are only seven tracks listed (the band often adds additional tracks one by one):
1. Locked out of Heaven
2. Drive
3. Ho Hey
4. I Knew You Were Trouble
5. Daylight
6. Radioactive
7. A Thousand Years

Tracks 1 and 6 are songs that don't sound that great in any other version than the originals, despite the fabulous effort put forth by Boyce Avenue...especially Radioactive. Tracks 4 and 5 sound better than the originals in my opinion, but I must admit that I find Taylor Swift and Adam Levine quite annoying.

The three strongest tracks are 2, 3 and 7, as they showcase the vocal range of the lead singer (I still haven't figured out which brother is which, but Boyce Avenue is made of three siblings, if you were curious). In my opinion, the vocals are stronger than they have ever been on previous volumes of New Acoustic Sessions...and, really, that's the way it should be: a band improving their sound.

Obviously, Boyce Avenue has made a name for themselves covering popular hits (although they do have their own original album, All We Have Left, which proves they can write great songs), but they have a way of making the songs their own, without changing the tunes beyond recognition, leaving the best qualities of the originals intact.

I'm not really a fan of Boyce Avenue's older cover albums, but I do love all the New Acoustic Sessions (Vol. 1-5, to date), and I highly recommend this band to anyone who enjoys modern acoustic music.
on 31 March 2016