Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 June 2014
Everyday Robots is heavy. It’s an album weighed down by a kind of lovelorn resignation to modern life’s challenges. It’s there from the opening moments… shuffling out of the shadows and gently clunking, twinkling and wheezing towards the lovely conclusion of ‘Heavy Seas of Love’. Damon sings of the stuff that sits wearily on his shoulders.

There’s something of early Boards of Canada’s landmark hymns to nostalgia in the tone and feel of the album. It’s dense with sound. Things click and whirr. Voices echo in and out of time. Yet the whole thing breathes. It’s open and warm and there’s space enough to climb inside to let it all wash over you. Listened to from afar, it might drift a little. The jaunty excursion of Mr Tembo aside, this is a mono-paced mooch of an album. On occasion the songs drift in to one another, woozily lurching from idea to idea.

It’s beautiful, though. Just listen. Melancholy melodies come and go. Unexpected musical twists catch the ear. The whole thing ebbs and flows. Its hands are dug in pockets and eyes are only for the ground, but its bones and heart are full of hope.
on 5 June 2017
Pretty good, but perhaps a little patchy in places. Prior to this I have tended to like Damon's more melancholic songs like 'Out of time' & 'Saturday come slow', so I had high hopes on buying this. Stand out tracks for me are 'You & me' and 'Lonely press play'. If I'm honest, after a few listens I now skip past tracks 'Mr Tembo' and 'Heavy seas of love', but a pretty decent effort I reckon.
on 5 May 2017
Chills down my spine, for the time i want to be alone forget about the world. Glass of rum Damon Albarn on Vinyl.
on 6 July 2014
Yet another superb album from Albarns creative genius, and Brian Eno too.What more could you need?
on 28 October 2015
Brilliant
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 February 2015
As far as I'm concerned, Damon Albarn, the frontman of both Blur and Gorillaz is a god in the world of music, and his debut solo album, released last year has been long overdue and much anticipated. 'Everyday Roberts' did not disappoint me, I think it's absolutely beautiful, not to mention addictive. I should point out straight away that the music on here is nothing much like the familiar material of his two big bands, this is almost a completely new sound for him, it should be filed under folktronic, but ultimately is a showcase of his abundance talents.

With honest, reflectful lyrics and a variety of instruments and production used, 'Everyday Roberts', self-produced by Damon with the assistance of Richard Russell and Brian Eno (whose influence on the record is obvious), is very pleasing on the ear. My personal favourite song is the quirky, accessible 'Mr. Tempo', a jolly little track featuring The Leytonstone City Mission Choir that makes me feel warm each time I hear it, and the one which, ironic as it is perhaps the least artistic, I find myself playing on repeat until I realise that it's now the seventh consecutive time, it should have been a big hit.

The other songs really aren't as uptempo, but are nonetheless brilliant because of this. The title track is stunning, like a Radiohead song with a robots theme, 'Photographs (You Are Taking Now)' is a masterpiece which sends you on a wonderful psychedelic journey, 'The Selfish Giant' is a thing of beauty, and very comforting to listen too quietly, and the breezy 'Heavy Seas of Love' and 'Lonely Press Play' are equally wonderful slow-burners.

Damon Albarn is such a versatile talent and a very creative guy, but I don't think I'm being at all biased when I praise this solid solo effect through the roof. Even if I wasn't familiar with his past work, or if he was a completely new artist on the scene, I would still hail this as one of my personal highlights of 2014. If you are looking for a great indie album, then I highly recommend that you buy your copy of 'Everyday Robots' today. Oh, and for those of you who still adore his early work, pre-order the upcoming Blur album which is out in April, and one of my most anticipated releases in a long time.

The deluxe edition of 'Everyday Robots' is available here: Everyday Robots [CD+DVD], and contains a bonus DVD, featuring the official promotional video of the title track 'Everyday Robots'.
on 22 April 2017
All great, tks!!!!
on 20 June 2017
Pitched somewhere between The Good The Bad and The Queen and Blurs more downbeat songs, this album takes a few listens to get into but the reward is worth it. Themes of childhood and modern world detachment run through the beautifully crafted songs. The pace is a bit samey overall but each song is engaging.The vinyl is immaculately pressed and sounds fantastic. Bit pricey from Amazon compared to some other online retailers.
He's good, that Damon Albarn, isn't he? I've known and liked his work for years, but I can't claim to be a real Albarn aficionado so others may have more informed insights into this album. For what it's worth, though, I think this is a very fine album. It has a rather laid-back, often jazzy feel to it, reminding me of some greats of the 70s and 80s. I was reminded of people like Robert Wyatt, Paul Weller, Pink Floyd in Grantchester Meadows mode, even the more mellow side of Lou Reed...you get the idea. It's great stuff, beautifully produced with pretty stripped-down backing but a lovely rich sound.

The songs are a varied and interesting bunch. As you'd expect from Albarn they are melodically and harmonically excellent and have enjoyable and intelligent lyrics. If there is an overall theme it is the dehumanisation of modern life and how we interact with electronics more and each other less. The album's opening line, "We are everyday robots on our phones..." and lines like, "It's hard to be your lover when the TV's on..." strike home well, I think.

I've listened to this album a lot (I was lucky enough to receive an advance copy), and am continuing to do so with great pleasure. It will be part of the soundtrack to many people's summer, I suspect, but there's real meat here and I think it will last a lot longer. I'd recommend it very warmly.
33 Comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Everyday Robots by Damon Albarn : A restrained, subtle and often subdued collection of songs. It's a beauty.

I have listened to it every day since procurement a week ago and the tunes are setting up home inside my skull. Why, I just went for a long-distance run over the hills of South London and the mournful chorus of "Selfish Giant" looped in my head for the entire workout (complete with fluttering flute). A day or so ago I was grocery shopping and the gorgeous piano trickles of "Hostiles" were providing a sedate soundtrack to my vegetable selections.

When walking my nephew through the park, the sun emerged from behind a cloud and the uplifting gospel chorus of "Mr Tembo" was immediately poured in to my mind tank. (The ukelele on "Tembo" is also worthy of note as it is wonderfully cheerful.)

"Heavy Seas Of Love" possibly grabs the EARWORMERY GOLD MEDAL. God damn that painfully catchy gospel chorus!! I should sue Mr Albarn for disallowing any coherent thoughts in my brain over this past week.

Mr Albarn, to put it VERY simply, is extremely good at writing songs. Songs that haunt the listener long after listening.

"Everyday Robots" is Damon at the top of his game, doing what he does....and doing it well.